Running out of fuel? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 20th, 2011, 05:35 PM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
Do the NAS Defenders not have an orange gas pump shaped warning light that comes on around 1/4 of a tank? That seems like a dumb thing to have gotten rid of. My 90 has a light. I get it flickering as the sensor has fuel slosh on/off it at around 1/4 tank and usually fill up at about 240-250 miles or so for approx 10 gallons. The light is super annoying this time of year when its dark on the way to work and the way home and the bright orange flickers for a second around a corner.

You little rebel, I like you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 20th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4
I've driven my defender nearly 60k I've never ran out of fuel. I have stretched it a few times on trips, 15 gallons has been the most fuel I've pumped into it. I know with my DO gauge when it hits E I have two gallons remaining. Its a good thing none of you are pilots.
I was a pilot. Only one crash ( not fuel related mind you) and lived to tell about it. I wonder If Cessna used Lucas? That would explain it.
Old December 21st, 2011, 06:46 PM
Jpayne
Jeff Payne
'83 110 3 Door

Registry
I was driving around last night and this morning with the fuel light on and was thinking about this thread. I finally got diesel and it took almost 19 gallons. I'm wondering what is the capacity of my tank and trying to figure out approximate range once the light comes on? I googled 110 fuel tank capacity and found a range from 45L to 75L. I'm guessing I have 75L capacity since 19 gallons is about 72L. I don't want to end up stranded if I can help it. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 21st, 2011, 06:56 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

I just fill it up when it hits a quarter tank. Besides, surprised nobody mentioned it, the fuel pump usually requires fuel to keep the electric motor cool, which is why driving with a low tank shortens the lifespan of the fuel pump. Look this shit up its crazy.

Robert Deniro
Old December 21st, 2011, 09:14 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

With my TDI, I've had one close sputtering call, and no joke I was driving back from Costco so I put a little bit of cooking oil in to make it to Sunoco. I now know where in the fuel gauge the "danger zone" is "URL="
Old January 11th, 2012, 02:50 AM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Twice in one night. Seriously! Never before, never again.

Now I carry a Jerry. If you're going to drive through the state of Oregon after 10 p.m., stick to I-5. Gas stations close in the smaller towns or on most other roads in Oregon. And because Oregon protects the hippies and the jobs of gas station attendants, when the station closes, the pumps are off! I drove through three towns on my way from Klamath to Eugene, all of which had Shells, Chevrons and the like according to the GPS. They were there, and they were closed. Kept my fingers crossed and kept pushing to the next town hoping it would be big enough to support a 24hr gas station. As I watched the remaining miles count down to the next town, I watched my fuel guage bounce. I had never run out of gas before and I was in a busted up old town somewhere between here and there and the end of the world. Not a soul to be seen but lights on in busted up building with broken store fronts. I couldn't have found a better location for a zombie film if I had tried! I was just about sputtering so I shut down in an old gas station (ironically) that didn't look like it had been in business in years. I figured I had better hold onto the last half gallon in case there were zombies and I would have to blaze out of town! :-) So I called AAA. No zombies yet. 45 minutes later Jethro arrived. He was a little off, but then again it was 1 in the morning. He gave me 3 gallons per policy, and complimented the truck! I liked Jethro. So I asked him "is that enough to get me to a gas station?" "Probably not," he said. "I guess I'll be calling you back in a bit." Well, AAA atleast. I made it through the National Forest at 45mph trying to conserve my precious 3+ gallons of fuel. I could see the lights of a larger town in the distance as I sputtered to a stall. This time, I got the 3 gallons from a AAA guy with a major reserve tank. So I bargained with him. I bought the next 3 gallons at around $8 per because I only had $25! It got my girlfriend some piece of mind and bought me some freakin' quiet! :-) What a night!

I guess I should keep an eye on my fuel pump as I consistenly push to empty when I know I have a full Jerry. Thanks for the advice Neil. I didn't know they require fluid fuel to stay cool.
Old January 11th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I actually ran out of fuel this past saturday traveling between Raleigh and Clinton on military duty in my 110. First time I can remember. I usually have about 1.5 gallons remaining on E and I only had 16 miles to go so I thought I was fine....then on the highway heading up to the offramp I hit a steep grade. That did it. Just enough to slosh the fuel to the bank of the tank and let the pickup suck air. Keep this in mind for those of you who think you know how far you can go..it's even less on a grade and doesn't take long. My lines filled with air.

I had a panic attack at first because the drop in power and boost are very similiar to a turbo failure. When the engine died on the side of the road once I stopped, I new it was fuel.

The irony is I usually have a full jerry on the back, but I swapped cans for a specific reason, and it was empty. Had to walk 1.5 miles to get to a gas station with the can. Fortunately I was in uniform, so I was picked up the entire way there and brought back.

My can is full now...forever.
Old January 11th, 2012, 02:04 PM
silby32
Josh Silberman
1997 D-90 #123 SW

Does anyone have a 97 who's fuel light actually works? I have a light, a bulb and a little image of a gas pump but it's never gone on...in both of the 90s that i've had.
Old January 11th, 2012, 02:19 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
They don't woork in the 95's

Tried it out when I first picked up the truck. I was sputtering as I crested the intersection to roll into the gas station. I think I was still under power when I came to a stop at the pump, but I can't be sure. No light!
Old January 11th, 2012, 03:14 PM
hunterjah
Jesse Hardin
Past: '97 D90 LE #135

I've never run out in the D90. I always watch the trip miles and reset it religiously ever fillup. I actually ran out of gas in my C63 AMG when I first bought it though. It was a result of a faulty fuel sending unit. Bone dry. Luckily I was right in front of a 7-Eleven.

Previous Rovers:
1997 LR D90 LE - #135
1997 LR D90 ST - #1185 (BRG)
2000 LR Discovery SII (Oxford Blue)
2008 LR LR3 HSE (Alaska White)
2012 LR LR4 Lux (Fuji White)
Old January 11th, 2012, 08:35 PM
Spook
Rich
97 Defender 90

Registry
I ran out this morning...only owned it less than a week.
Old January 11th, 2012, 08:47 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Am I the only one that's never run out of gas in a Rover? Well...if you don't count the LR3, but that's because I listened to the wife when she said "we can make it to the next exit" when I tried to get off to get gas so technically it's her fault .

But I did manage to put 12.2 gallons in the Series today when I pushed it. Pretty sure it's a 12 gallon tank.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old January 11th, 2012, 09:29 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADK46er View Post
I am notorious for going as long as I can before refueling. The 97' I just picked up has a gas guage that violently moves the further from full it is. I am sure I am going to run out of gas one of these days.
3xs for me. My 94 never but my 97 3xs since the gauge is nuts.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
fuel