ruggedized laptop - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 21st, 2012, 01:32 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

ruggedized laptop

I know we have a pretty diverse goup out there so I'm wondering about you opinions on real world application of the latest and greatest in ruggedized laptops. My use of them has been limited and was over five years ago so I know things have changed. Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2012, 05:52 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I've had multiple toughbooks. what's your application? there's semi-rugged, and fully rugged. you less computer for the money as you go more rugged so it's a tradeoff.
Old January 21st, 2012, 06:28 PM
tommyd
Tom
LR3

Are you set on a laptop, or would you consider a tablet? Check out Xplore technologies: http://www.xploretech.com/

And they're in Austin to boot, so you could go check them out in person like I did. They're not cheap, but really nice. I used one for work for a few years.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 21st, 2012, 08:42 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommyd View Post
Are you set on a laptop, or would you consider a tablet? Check out Xplore technologies: http://www.xploretech.com/

And they're in Austin to boot, so you could go check them out in person like I did. They're not cheap, but really nice. I used one for work for a few years.

I will look into thier product. I thought Getac might be better than a toughbook. I've never been a flag waver of Panasonic. I know they all put these through their own trials and I've done alot of research, but you can't replace realworld on this stuff, any experiance with a product would be appreciated. I'm simply looking for a laptop or tablet that is the end all, be all, in most any condition.
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:04 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
well I can say this. Two deploments to Iraq and out tactical operations centers have always had a mix of Dells and Toughbooks. The toughbooks never let us down and the Dells were nothing but headaches. Combat conditions made me a believer in the toughbooks. If the sands of Death Valley and Iraq couldn't kill them, then I don't know what would.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old January 21st, 2012, 10:38 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Point taken...Thanks.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 04:10 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
well I can say this. Two deploments to Iraq and out tactical operations centers have always had a mix of Dells and Toughbooks. The toughbooks never let us down and the Dells were nothing but headaches. Combat conditions made me a believer in the toughbooks. If the sands of Death Valley and Iraq couldn't kill them, then I don't know what would.
Just sold me...
Old January 22nd, 2012, 02:16 PM
Xcelsius
Matt
89 D110

Another vote for Toughbooks from me. I've used ruggedized Dells and CF-30, CF-31, and tablet versions of the Panasonics. the Dells seem like they really aren't built very well. Screws that distort some of the body pieces, gaps that are odd, not to mention fans that sound like harrier jets. The screens are bigger and brighter, and the CPUs are a little better in the Dell, but I can live with less in that realm in exchange for Panasonics surviving drops off aircraft, summer heat in the desert, dead silent heat sinks and I love me some touch screen and stylus action when it's freezing out and I want to keep my gloves on.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:13 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
I know we have a pretty diverse goup out there so I'm wondering about you opinions on real world application of the latest and greatest in ruggedized laptops. My use of them has been limited and was over five years ago so I know things have changed. Thanks in advance.
My personal laptop is a Toughbook CF-29. Panasonic is up to CF-31 now, but the CF-30 is the last of the fanless, silent notebooks.

If you get a toughbook, get the backlit keyboard.

The touchscreen is pretty useless imho.

The spare parts availability of toughbooks is pretty awesome.

Dell also makes an XFR series. They have better video specs than the Panasonic Toughbooks and usually CPU specs, but as a result they're not fanless either.

They're heavy beasts for sure, but I love mine to death. Don't discount the advantage of fanless machines.
Old January 22nd, 2012, 05:57 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander
X2. While the Toughbooks can be a little too rugged, they never failed. The touch screens suck, but everything else was great.

Back in OIF 1 we actually worked with our other laptops wrapped in clear plastic trash bags trying to keep the sand out. Didn't work too well!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old January 22nd, 2012, 06:27 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
My personal laptop is a Toughbook CF-29. Panasonic is up to CF-31 now, but the CF-30 is the last of the fanless, silent notebooks.

If you get a toughbook, get the backlit keyboard.

The touchscreen is pretty useless imho.

The spare parts availability of toughbooks is pretty awesome.

Dell also makes an XFR series. They have better video specs than the Panasonic Toughbooks and usually CPU specs, but as a result they're not fanless either.

They're heavy beasts for sure, but I love mine to death. Don't discount the advantage of fanless machines.

yes the whole spare parts thing is very important! I will take spare parts over cpu most days. I was a die hard Dell fan but I've recently moved over to Lenovo, they have been very reliable!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat