Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 11th, 2014, 02:26 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Rugby Fans?

Just wondering if there are any other Rugby fans out there... the last few years I have really gotten in to it, I would prefer to watch Rugby over NFL these days. The Division 1-A championship was just last night with a win by St. Mary's, and the Varsity Cup was last weekend with Cal Berkeley vs. BYU, with BYU making an unexpected victory. Typical powerhouses are Cal, BYU, Navy, and even San Diego State!

Our national team ran by USA Rugby qualified for the World Cup next year in the UK! I am planning on flying there to cheer us on. It's doesn't hurt that San Diego has direct service to London on a BA 777.

Any other Rugby fans out there?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2014, 04:33 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Justin Green up in AK built a regulation rugby pitch in his front yard and hosts games. He has a bunch of rovers but doesn't post here much.

Check out http://www.alaskarugby.org

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old May 11th, 2014, 05:15 PM
JASEcrest
Jason
'88 Defender 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Those are some amazing pictures of the field and scenery.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 11th, 2014, 06:13 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

I played second row for 10 years in the old days before substitution and the change of laws to soccerize rugby with the introduction of cards, penalty time off, and making it illegal to leave your feet for a tackle.

Still enjoy watching a good match though.

Gustavo played for the Pumas (who posts here) at a national level.
I only played select for a few seasons VRU & ERU.
Those were fun days when we ran 12 miles a day and could drink a case of cheap beer without trying hard and still function fine with such a high metabolism.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old May 11th, 2014, 06:31 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I used to play in college. I was a hooker. I was talking with some friends recently about heading to the World Cup next year as well, so we'll see what comes of it.
Old May 11th, 2014, 07:00 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Played in school. Nephew plays professionally for Richmond In England.
You can find Rugby on TV occasionally here. Some Teams broadcast live using livestream.
RWC is coming up soon!

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old May 11th, 2014, 08:25 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
Justin Green up in AK built a regulation rugby pitch in his front yard and hosts games. He has a bunch of rovers but doesn't post here much.

Check out http://www.alaskarugby.org
Holy shit. That's some Field of Dreams stuff right there.

Old May 11th, 2014, 08:29 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
Site Team

Registry
Of course in true rugger tradition there is a bar inside the clubhouse where the two teams get drunk together afterwards....

Old May 11th, 2014, 08:33 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
Of course in true rugger tradition there is a bar inside the clubhouse where the two teams get drunk together afterwards....
Yes, Justin takes his rugby seriously. He's been on a mission to bring kids rugby to AK as well.

He has quite the vehicle collection too, including a badass olive drab 110 and other choice Rovers.

Semper Fi!
Old May 11th, 2014, 09:54 PM
nwp
Nathan Patterson
1994 D-90

I played lock for a few years in college. Ah the good old days. Can't believe I could play that hard then drink that hard then get up and do it again.
Old May 11th, 2014, 11:00 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

[QUOTE=Wolf Fabrication;530086]Yes, Justin takes his rugby seriously. He's been on a mission to bring kids rugby to AK as well.

I have been trying to get my son interested in rugby over the past year. He seems to think that playing football without pads is not such a great idea. I think he'd be good at it and would have a lot of fun.
I just found out there is a youth league in town...looks like someone has something new to try this summer
Old May 12th, 2014, 12:45 PM
rogersta
Drew Rogers
1993 NAS D110 #51

I did a six week tour for the 2011 World Cup in New Zealand. Was able to integrate that with my honeymoon so "two birds with one stone!" Don't ask me how the hell I pulled that off. it was one of the best experiences of my life! The atmosphere and fans were fantastic. I am planning to make the jump across the pond in 2015 and would highly recommoned for anybody, rugby fan or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
I played second row for 10 years in the old days before substitution and the change of laws to soccerize rugby with the introduction of cards, penalty time off, and making it illegal to leave your feet for a tackle.

Still enjoy watching a good match though.

Gustavo played for the Pumas (who posts here) at a national level.
I only played select r a few seasons VRU & ERU.
Those were fun days when we ran 12 miles a day and could drink a case of cheap beer without trying hard and still function fine with such a high metabolism.
Robert I played with Blues for the last 15 years. Prob know some of the same people like Keith Wright, James Payner, Mic White, James Newman, Chip & John Finn. Retired last year, but have been playing with the USA Classic eagles. Heading Toronto in June to play CAndad and the hopefully the World Cup classic in Bermuda in November.
Old May 12th, 2014, 01:26 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Blues

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogersta View Post
Robert I played with Blues for the last 15 years. Prob know some of the same people like Keith Wright...
Being older than Keith, remember his first game against USMC Quantico when Keith separated his shoulder which may have been his very first game. Saw Keith play prop about 20 years later as he started as a wing and outside center.

Was actually the first player from Norfolk Irish to play for Norfolk RFC in the Ed Lee Cup replacing Dave Chaptman who sprained his back earlier in the day against James River. Jeff Sands and Jodie Walker (RIP) later brought the groups together to work out the first meeting for the merger. At the time had more friends on Norfolk RFC than Irish where my brother and I both played.

By the time the two teams merged I was on my way out of the game, but managed to play on the second side "B" team after my fourth knee surgery for 2 years. Then retired and 3 surgeries later am glad I stopped when I did.

Here is a picture of the first Blues B-Side, we were state champions that year winning every match we played against "A" sides. The following year, we experienced our first loss in the Wake Forest tournament against a combined Royal Navy & Marine side from 2 of the Queen's Aircraft Carriers. That was my last Blues game... Meanwhile the Blues "A" side dominated east coast play and won against many of the top sides on a national level.

Here's a picture of the "B" side winner of the Ed Lee Cup in 1979 or 80 as I recall.

Look forward to meeting you sometime, Drew.
Still in the game, amazing.
Many of the Rover guys do meet at the Bier Garden on occasion.
Send a PM and we'll invite you the next time out.
I will not make the Blues banquet this month but do get an occasional email update.
Want to see ODU play sometime as Mike Herron (pictured cowboy hat front row sitting) has coached them to the top, nationally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NorfolkBluesEdLeeCupRichmond.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	94759  

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old May 12th, 2014, 07:25 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I used to play wing in school. Have not played or watched it in ages though.
Old October 12th, 2015, 11:43 AM
Whiesel
Eric Williamson
LR-90 300 tdi

Ireland beat France!!!
What an atmosphere in Cardiff!!
Any of you who may not yet be into Rugby, give South Africa / Wales a watch next Saturday.
Eric.
Old October 12th, 2015, 11:50 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Use a proxy server to ITV and watch live.

The Japan V South Africa game was the best yet.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old October 12th, 2015, 12:02 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Yep!

Old October 12th, 2015, 12:25 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Played a little bit when I had the chance in the RN, Fly or inside/outside centre what ever was open. But no cauiflower ears.

Also played England B team for a short time (very short) that's the real football to ya'll. A very long story.

Life is to short to be drinking cheap beer.

I will say the shackle daggers played a good March last Saturday
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20151012_110605.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	132079  

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old October 21st, 2015, 09:14 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Here is England preparing for the semi finals

http://www.smh.com.au/content/dam/im...4109522328.jpg
Old October 21st, 2015, 09:54 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Predictions for another Australia v New Zealand final.... or will Argentina (doubt it) and Sth Africa (possibly) get in.

All I know is you will find me in a bar in Tampa watching both!!! Now - must find good bar....

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
fan

« Waze | Top Maker? »