Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 28th, 2012, 10:49 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
Rubberneckers

So I have been back in my 110 this week and have been watching people rubber neck as they pass me all week kind of forgot how much people do it and tonight went to get some yogurt with the kids and watched this lady spend 10 minutes pointing at everything on my car from the lights to lifting her kids up to see inside - her husband could have cared less but I wish I could have heard what she was saying - she even went over pointing out the eyelets for limb risers - maybe she was ex camel trophy material
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-28 19.12.56.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	85.4 KB
ID:	53654   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-06-28 19.12.39.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	53655  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2012, 12:30 AM
the rover shop
shayne young
89,93 & 95 camel trophy 110s 06 130

Man..imagine what she would have been like if she saw a NICE one like mine...LOL...
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:23 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
That's funny. I noticed a young lady in a honda behind me on an onramp last week taking a camera phone pic of the back of the 90 with both hands. I only noticed because she was weaving all over the place trying to steer with her knee.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 29th, 2012, 08:40 AM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

The same thing happens with me anytime I park downtown (Philly). It usually seems to be the moms that have the most interest while the husbands couldn't care less. haha
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:43 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I get it all the time too. I even had one creepy lady ask to take a picture of me and the truck.

Semper Fi!
Old June 29th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
The same thing happens with me anytime I park downtown (Philly). It usually seems to be the moms that have the most interest while the husbands couldn't care less. haha

I get this everywhere, and agree, more moms than dads for whatever reason show interest. My theory is that guys are probably as much or more interested, but don't want to overtly show it.

I'm sure everyone is used to the standard practice of being stopped at a light and the car in the next lane stops somewhere around your bumper for a moment, then slowly creeps forward but never stop right next to you?
Old June 29th, 2012, 09:22 AM
Akitatw4
Tom
1995/D90

Registry
I like the Jeep guys/gals who are coming at you thinking , I believe, that you are another jeep, ready to wave then they get close enough to see the difference and then just look as they pass.

Never gets old.
Old June 29th, 2012, 11:53 AM
the rover shop
shayne young

That's coz jeep guys feel inferior once they realize it's a LAND ROVER...
Old June 29th, 2012, 12:04 PM
the rover shop
shayne young

I think the women who are interested in these vehicle have a secret pent up yearning to escape their dull and dreary lives married to men who have become boring and stagnant.. The whole.."we dont do anything fun and exciting anymore... You used to be fun.. What happened to us" kinda whine... But thats just my opinion..lol... I have had women pull up next to me at traffic lights and yell... Take me with you..please..!!!!..And she was cute as well...
Old June 29th, 2012, 12:10 PM
hunterjah
Jesse Hardin
Past: '97 D90 LE #135

Agree 100%, I get more stares/looks in my D90 than in any other car I've ever owned. The camera phones make me laugh, enjoy the thumbs up from most people. Haven't gotten the bird yet!

Previous Rovers:
1997 LR D90 LE - #135
1997 LR D90 ST - #1185 (BRG)
2000 LR Discovery SII (Oxford Blue)
2008 LR LR3 HSE (Alaska White)
2012 LR LR4 Lux (Fuji White)
Old June 29th, 2012, 12:24 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunterjah
Agree 100%, I get more stares/looks in my D90 than in any other car I've ever owned. The camera phones make me laugh, enjoy the thumbs up from most people. Haven't gotten the bird yet!
Try harder! I get the bird a good bit. But that's usually after I've driven around the asshat that is blocking a merge lane doing the drive in the middle crap.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

Old June 29th, 2012, 12:38 PM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by the rover shop View Post
I have had women pull up next to me at traffic lights and yell... Take me with you..please..!!!!..And she was cute as well...
Awesome
Old June 29th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Grover
Mike
Birmabright Bread Box/Swagger Wagon

Registry
Jeeper's wave to me all the time while in my D. I don't care what they drive, I wave back. Nothing wrong being friendly
It's funney how people don't what it (Defender) is.
Most poeple think the snorkel is the exhaust...

Old June 29th, 2012, 01:20 PM
Neil McCauley
Neil McCauley
94 ST, 97 ST, 93 110

People (or chicks) don't care about D90's in LA. Too many jeeps here have desensitized us. 110's are more rare so they get more looks.

Robert Deniro
Old June 29th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover View Post
Jeeper's wave to me all the time while in my D. I don't care what they drive, I wave back. Nothing wrong being friendly
It's funney how people don't what it (Defender) is.
Most poeple think the snorkel is the exhaust...
My all time favorite was back in AZ. two middle aged women in khaki's and hushpuppies (you know the ones) came up and asked me if my donaldson pre-filter was a gas lamp for camping. uggh. That's the best you could come up with? WTF?
Old June 29th, 2012, 06:03 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjstahl3
So I have been back in my 110 this week and have been watching people rubber neck as they pass me all week kind of forgot how much people do it and tonight went to get some yogurt with the kids and watched this lady spend 10 minutes pointing at everything on my car from the lights to lifting her kids up to see inside - her husband could have cared less but I wish I could have heard what she was saying - she even went over pointing out the eyelets for limb risers - maybe she was ex camel trophy material
That's what I was saying to you before. There is something about your truck. Whether its the rack, patina or whatever that people are really drawn to. Seriously, it gets nothing buy love from everybody!
Old June 29th, 2012, 06:19 PM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

the RHD D110 gets looks, thumbs up, and camera photos all the time while driving along. it's kind of cool and kind of weird at the same time. I think more people are freaked out by the RHD than the Defender part.
Old June 30th, 2012, 07:51 AM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
I love it when I stop in a parking lot to let a mom and her little boy cross. Mom is charging ahead into the store dragging little boy who is jaw dropped looking at the life size Tonka truck.
Old July 1st, 2012, 03:20 AM
CDeWan
Clay DeWan
5.3L beastie

I was 25 when I saw my first 90 and had the same reaction it was a 94 AA Yellow (at that time 1 year old) and I never forgot about them. It took me another 11 to end up buying one and wouldn't you know it was a 94 AA Yesllow and the truck still makes me smile. I mostly get folks yelling "nice truck" or rubbernecking. It seems I am always rubbernecking for another Defender on the road just so I can give a thumbs up.

On a side note I came up to a light a few months ago and there was a Mercedes Wagon (either E55 or E63) can't remember but it was the AMG version I read about in Car & Driver. That guy got a thumbs up from me. If I had to drive a wagon everyday that one would definitely not go anywhere near the "this sucks" factor. I could get used to driving a wagon that eats corvettes.
Old July 1st, 2012, 08:06 PM
aaronlam
aaron lam
1997 Alpine White D90 SW #2212

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil McCauley View Post
People (or chicks) don't care about D90's in LA. Too many jeeps here have desensitized us. 110's are more rare so they get more looks.
Ugh. LA is desensitized to just about everything. I was driving on Burton Way yesterday and pulled up behind a Lambo Aventador... Was like SWEET. Drove behind him for about 2miles and ANOTHER Lambo pulls up behind me. Of course, passed my slow ass and it was an Aventador too. Geez.

Weathers been nice and same day I saw two Audi R8's also... One was a spyder which was pretty sweet. Guess that's what I get for hanging out in Beverly Hills for the day. Didn't see another Defender though .

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
rubber