Rubber Bumper Restoration, (not LR related) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old October 18th, 2006, 05:57 PM
97 SW
Rubber Bumper Restoration, (not LR related)

Hello guys;
A non-LR specific question, but wondered if I could draw on the resourcefulness of the Defender community as I've had surprisingly little luck through the usual Mopar channels.

Am trying to find a procedure to re-apply the factory rubber bumper coating on the bumpers and bumper bolts for a 1971 Plymouth GTX.

The rubber bumper option on this car differed from the flexible "Endura" bumpers found on, say a '69 GTO or early '70s Trans-Am, in that the coating was applied over the original factory metal bumper, (sans chrome plating), and then painted body color. The original coating wrapped around to the inside of the bumper ending in a straight line, indicating perhaps that the coating was laid on as a rubber sheet and either heat-shrunk, or somehow vacuum formed (like padded vinyl dash board material.)

I've explored the possibility of a rhino lining type spray on application, but the texture is wrong, and paint adhesion is an issue. Simply painting the bumper produces the wrong texture as well.

Am I overlooking any obvious solutions? Any ideas would be sincerely appreciated.....

Old October 18th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Peter Sherman
NAS 110
I am happy my 72 Charger SE only has chrome that sounds like PITA

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

bumper, restoration, rubber