Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old April 8th, 2016, 11:20 PM
javelinadave
-
-

RTT or Oz Tent

I'm at a crossroads and could sure use some experienced users input. Part of me likes the almost instant setup of a hardtop RTT (Autohome - Baroud) and part of me likes not climbing up and down a ladder at night. I do realize that the Oz Tent is 6'6" long when stowed and that I will have to haul and setup a cot each night. Who has owned both and why do you favor one over the other?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 8th, 2016, 11:37 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Dave a couple of reasons I went with OZ tent, as you know oh so well I got rid of my RTT...

1. I ain't no spring chicken so peeing at night out of a RTT is challenging (although fun when Pedro parks next door )
2. I ain't no spring chicken AND I like a few "sodas" campside so it's much easier to navigate to after the "sodas" come out
3. Oz tent is much quicker to put up and much more versatile with awnings and rooms
4. You don't have to take your RTT down and all the bedding out and pack up to go wheeling (if it's on your truck)
5. the OZ tent is actualy cheaper, for the basic one, but can get upwards of $1300 for the whole shebang
6. You can keep a bunch of kit in the awning area dry and out of the rain, unlike the RTT

Bottom line mate .... Oztent #1 in my opinion (and you fit the spring chicken description )
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2016, 12:18 AM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
I have owned neither however aftter seeing Jonsey's Oz tent at MAR in a complete 48+ hour downward pour and how quick it is deployed there is no doubt the Oz tent is the way to go. RTTs are a PITA when the trail is tight not to mention a RTT moves your cv up.l
Old April 9th, 2016, 12:32 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE

Registry
x 2 on what the Wanker said

Man I missed those freaking steps on the RTT too many times ( even when mounted on a trailer.

Got a great deal through L8 for an OZ Tent R-4 with all the add ons ( side, front, peak, etc )
Old April 9th, 2016, 12:57 AM
jjstahl3
Jay S
96 D1 TReK

Registry
I have had both and now only a oz tent my kids loved the rtt I hated it thought to pack up pain to climb a ladder without some sort of stabilizers on your vehicle or trailer you move a lot in the rtt unless you are worried about being eaten by lions just get a Oz tent

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

BUY SOME HATS --->

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 9th, 2016, 01:27 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Ahhh, the joy of a three-door. Wherever you park is your home. No RTT required. Water-tight and wind-proof. No raised COG. Nothing to set up, other than to pull out the storage boxes that you were going to pull out anyway.

/
/
/
/
Old April 9th, 2016, 02:00 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
RTT; b/c lions.
Old April 9th, 2016, 03:21 AM
Kenoa
Kenoa
None ...yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
RTT; b/c lions.
cuz lions are just cats, its not like cats like to climb trees and stuff right?

I'd like to have a RTT someday but I like the three door style as well
Old April 9th, 2016, 08:31 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Everyone has brought up very good points. We do a lot of camping , canoeing , rover events ect. I have thought about cost, space , and ease of set up. Although I don't own either, I would get an OZ tent. Here is why:
It's lighter than a RTT. Sets up quick and is adaptable. Many ways to go with all of the accessories.
Dave FYI if you get a Thermarest Dreamtime sleeping pad you don't need a cot. Expensive but well worth every penny. One of the best pieces of gear we own. Chris has one in the back of his truck I see and maybe he will chime back in on it. Great choice Chris. Good luck with the dilemma Dave.
Old April 9th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
I got he Nemo kits vs Thermarest .... for the life of me i can never get my thermarests to the right inflation...so I double downed, and the Nemo is THE most comfortable sleep system out there I believe.

Oh and Dave, check with Robert Lynch, he is a gear head too, and as he now has a trailer with a RTT he may be selling his Oz Tent setup....he has all the kit like mine - PLUS he has the cots....would be a good kit to get, at a good price I assume - that is if he isnt keeping it to have both.
Old April 9th, 2016, 08:48 AM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Being that I have both (ARB RTT and Oztent RV4) I feel there are merits to both. It depends on what type of journey you are on. Many a night I have thanked god for my RTT (MAR '10....VOT '13 mud fest), and there are many nights I have loved not climbing the ladder. I haved moved my RTT from my Disco to the 110, and then to the trailer, but as I said.....its all in what you want to do. I will continue to enjoy both and keep getting crap from the nay sayers......but really don't care. After all...I still run a 2.5 NAD..........take it for what its worth.
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old April 9th, 2016, 08:49 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

To be the Man's Man that Chris is would be ideal...() but when you're old, Baroud is the only way to "RTT"!
Old April 9th, 2016, 08:53 AM
scrubs
henery

My biggest issue with RTT vs OzTent, lying n putting clothing on in RTT,
Oz tent I'd go with if the opportunity should show itself again.
RTT too many PITA issues when compared,
Top heavy being another, lotta skid marks in britches when you forget the RTT is up there going into a curve.
Old April 9th, 2016, 10:44 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
I got he Nemo kits vs Thermarest .... for the life of me i can never get my thermarests to the right inflation...so I double downed, and the Nemo is THE most comfortable sleep system out there I believe. Oh and Dave, check with Robert Lynch, he is a gear head too, and as he now has a trailer with a RTT he may be selling his Oz Tent setup....he has all the kit like mine - PLUS he has the cots....would be a good kit to get, at a good price I assume - that is if he isnt keeping it to have both.
I can't speak for the Nemo system, but 3" of air and 1" of memory foam has treated us well.
Old April 9th, 2016, 08:42 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by solarguy View Post
Dave FYI if you get a Thermarest Dreamtime sleeping pad you don't need a cot. Expensive but well worth every penny. One of the best pieces of gear we own. Chris has one in the back of his truck I see and maybe he will chime back in on it.
Thermarest Dreamtime is an awesome sleeping pad. It's totally worth the giant, compressible packed size.

But... it's discontinued. A total bummer.

Nemo makes nice stuff so I suppose that's a good replacement.

/
/
/
/
Old April 10th, 2016, 01:28 AM
javelinadave
-
-

The GTT is the tent of the future but it is a bit to "exotic" for me at this time.
Old April 10th, 2016, 08:43 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I think you could set up and take down a normal ground tent just as fast, if not faster, than as OzTent or RTT. I've only seen Josh's OzTent, but it looked like just as much work as a normal tent and also probably way hotter in the summer.
Old April 10th, 2016, 09:48 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Another thing to think about with an OzTent or RTT is that they are giant! An Oztent is around six feet long when stowed from what I remember.
Old May 8th, 2016, 08:09 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Ok, thought I would revive this thread instead of starting a new one. Looks like the OzTent is the finalist. It will mostly be just me or me and my adult daughter using this. Will 2 cots fit in an RV3 or RV4 without heads or feet touching the sides? We are but less than 6" tall.
Also do you OzTent users just tie it up to your roof rack or transport it inside your rig?
Old May 8th, 2016, 08:15 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
93' NAS 110- #234

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
Ok, thought I would revive this thread instead of starting a new one. Looks like the OzTent is the finalist. It will mostly be just me or me and my adult daughter using this. Will 2 cots fit in an RV3 or RV4 without heads or feet touching the sides? We are but less than 6" tall.
Also do you OzTent users just tie it up to your roof rack or transport it inside your rig?
hey, let's chat this week and I can talk you through it.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat