RRC- White Roof. opinions? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 3rd, 2008, 08:59 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

RRC- White Roof. opinions?

Do you guys think this looks stupid? It's a non-sunroof roof from an 1987 RRC that I put on my 1989. I also pulled the LT230 from the 1987 and had Jeff at JC Rover and 4x4 install it for me. Let me say that I agree: the LT230 is the single best mod on a RRC.

To have the roof painted is going to cost between $500-$1000 depending on if I want the dents removed, and how good of a shop I use. Do you think it looks cool or really stupid? I havent made up my mind yet!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	p1010034.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	14179   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010037.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	65.2 KB
ID:	14180  

Name:	P1010032.JPG
Views:	97
Size:	142.7 KB
ID:	14181  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 3rd, 2008, 09:59 PM
AggieD90
Kevin Collins
'95 AA Yellow & '97 Willow Green

I wouldn't have chosen to do it...but I also wouldn't probably pay to have it painted either.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 10:06 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I didnt do it for the white per se, I did it for the better roof and the clean headliner. I'll probably get it painted; I just saw a disco in Denver recently with a white roof so it got me thinking to holding off on painting it for a while.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 4th, 2008, 12:55 AM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Keep it white - if you can ignore the fashion police. There is a reason firetrucks, school busses and defenders all have white roof caps.... they reflect solar radiation better and reduce the interior temperature of the vehicles . I don't run a head liner in my truck so i can feel the temperature of the roof fairly easy. My truck is red with a white roof cap and at any given time whether it be at 5k feet in the high desert or 200 feet below sea level in death valley... my roof is substantially cooler than the body panels of my truck. If you have a dark roof you will be carrying around a nice aluminum frying pan on top of your truck! Since I installed my Hannibal Roof rack my roof stays even cooler - the wide horizontal slats of the rack cast a pretty big shadow over my roof 24/7. (of course - the black rack heats up like a mother!)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:11 AM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Keep it white. Looks cool. I have a Mini with a white roof - and I can not believe the temperature difference in the summer over a dark color painted roof.........

Flagg
Old July 4th, 2008, 08:29 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
looks like shit. that was one of the reasons I didnt buy this one...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	blue RRC.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	14190  
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:21 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
No offense, but it's not like the paint on the rest of the truck is that nice looking. Leave it white, or rattle can it if you really can't stand the white.

I say rattle can the front doors yellow and call her done!

charles
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:23 AM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Looks like a giant Mini... I'd say keep it that way
Old July 4th, 2008, 10:36 AM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
No offense, but it's not like the paint on the rest of the truck is that nice looking. Leave it white, or rattle can it if you really can't stand the white.

I say rattle can the front doors yellow and call her done!

charles
well I definitely dont want yellow doors!

What do you need to do to prep a rattle can paint job?
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:18 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I say strip it and leave it silver if you want to reflect the heat.
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

I would leave it too. I'm not sure I like it, but I definitely don't think its worth the cost to repaint it. I agree with Charles, if you really can't stand it just rattle can it or check prices at maaco or someplace similar that specializes in cheap paint work. If they'll do a whole car for $299 or whatever, I'm sure they'd do the roof reasonably.
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:58 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger
well I definitely dont want yellow doors!
Sorry, I guess you'd need to see my truck to get the joke.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gore Ranger
What do you need to do to prep a rattle can paint job?
Same as any paint job. Wet sand it to cuff up the paint so the fresh paint will stick and clean it really well. You can even get the paint matched up if you want. I can't find the URL but I know you can get matched paint online in spray cans.

charles
Old July 4th, 2008, 12:10 PM
LenB
Len Bruffett
NAS '97 ST /SW-POE Config

Registry
Bare aluminum won't stay shinny long- it needs regular maint. or a clear coat. How bad are the dents. IF they aren't terribly deep to can take small blocks of wood (used as drifts) and a light hammer and pop them out from the underside. You have to use a very light touch, and move the aluminum a little bit at a time- and may need to have several different shapes of wood to use as drifts. The wooden drifts need to have smooth rounded edges so you do not put additional dents in the aluminum from a sharp corner. If the paint is still alive just buff it out and wax it.

If you choose to paint with a can... (which I don't recommend)... you will want to clean and lightly sand with 400 to 500 wet sand paper to give some "tooth" the the original paint so the new paint will stick. A final rub with simple alcohol will clean any residual paint and dirt. Due to the constant exposure directly to the sun I don't believe a rattle can paint job will hold up well enough. I use simple rattle can paints for the flat black items I make- but I also "bake it on" with an infrared heater to harden the paint. I also use a metal etching liquid before I paint to give the metal some tooth and degrease the item. It will be pretty tough apply the paint in a smooth continuous layer because of the small spray pattern of the nozzle. Good luck what ever you decide to do.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old July 4th, 2008, 12:21 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Roof

I know exactly the Discovery in Denver that you are talking about. I pass it every day on my way home from work. I'll post a pic if I can.

I think that Disco looks pretty sharp. It's white on blue. For whatever reason, I think it works better on the Disco than the RRC. I'm not sure why.
Old July 4th, 2008, 12:51 PM
Gore Ranger
Jeff
1989 RRC

I was already leaning towards getting it painted before posting, despite the cost, which is probably the same amount of money that the truck is worth! It's worth a lot more to me though, so in that case, what's another $500.

A custom motorcycle shop that also does street rods and stuff said he would do it for $500 plus sand and buff, wax etc. the whole truck. He is confident he can "bring the red back." Sounds like almost a bargain where the other shop I went to estimated $650 and they left the window open for a lot more for prep work etc. That didnt include anything but the roof paint The main difference is that the expensive shop is in Eagle county and the custom motorcycle guy is in Rifle. That's the cost of doing business I guess.

You're right, it seemed to look better on the disco. His paint on the body was a lot better than mine though, and it was blue. Red is a pretty ostentatious color so now it looks like a candycane or something. I will post an after picture in a few weeks for comparison's sake!

Happy 4th of July!

cheers

Old July 4th, 2008, 09:15 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61rover
I know exactly the Discovery in Denver that you are talking about. I pass it every day on my way home from work. I'll post a pic if I can.

I think that Disco looks pretty sharp. It's white on blue. For whatever reason, I think it works better on the Disco than the RRC. I'm not sure why.
Wonder if it is the same one that I see every day sitting at Octane Coffee off park ave
Old July 4th, 2008, 09:24 PM
NashvilleRover
Dendy Jarrett
2009 LR3- Well Built

I say put a Union Jack up there. Go to a graphics place and get the necessary stripping. You can even do it with static cling material and then it won't be permanent.
Some of the coolest rovers I have seen have a Union Jack on them somewhere, and with that red body, the British appeal would set it apart.

Just a thought.

Dendy
Old July 4th, 2008, 11:42 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Take it to some $99 paint shop place. They will do it with shitty paint for $100 and it will fade in a year to match the rest of the truck.

If it is close to masai red, as cgalpin to send you a few cans of the matching rattle can spray paint.

Ron
Old July 5th, 2008, 12:45 AM
discotdi
Todd Miller
Land Rover

Union Jack all the way!
Old July 5th, 2008, 10:31 AM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
looks like the new ford.