RRC feeler - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat


Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old November 21st, 2011, 09:16 PM
Bill Larson's Avatar
Bill Larson
Status: Offline
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: AUS
Posts: 6,563
RRC feeler

I'm not sure why...(I belive it's the LR sickness)but, I have been drawn to the RRC look lately. If a choice was possible does anyone have an opinion on what model year would be a "best buy" for an RRC? and why? Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2  
Old November 21st, 2011, 09:20 PM
woldd90's Avatar
woldd90
Status: Offline
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Georgia
Posts: 5,329
From what I understand, the 95 version was the best, and well sorted out.
__________________
Scott

Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old November 21st, 2011, 09:35 PM
o2batsea's Avatar
o2batsea
Status: Offline
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kensington md
Posts: 6,503
Registry
In my opinion, a RRC 2 door with a 200 Tdi/R380/lt230 would be just about the coolest damn thing. It would have to have a 1993 glass sunroof. And a Union Jack painted on the roof. And a heated windscreen.

These all have wool mohair carpet, leather upholstery, wood trim and a magic carpet ride suspension. Very lux.
For the later trucks, I'm a LWB fan. Can't go wrong with 108 inch wheelbase and rear passenger stadium seating. I tend to stay away from the 95 models due to the icky, fluffy looking interior, which is a single year build. Those just scream, "I'm a marshmallowy creampuff!" There were no more after that. Air sprung ones are the shiz despite what all the naysayers say. EAS is awesome.

In 1990 they started putting ABS on them. If you're an ABS fan, then buy one after that year. if you're a hater buy an earlier one.

Detailed model year changes are documented at John's site at rangerovers.net
__________________
Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #4  
Old November 21st, 2011, 09:39 PM
phoenix37's Avatar
phoenix37
Status: Online
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Venice, CA/Yarmouth,ME
Posts: 5,788
Registry
Youre a strange bird Bill. Depends on what you are looking to do with it but I must be a Marshmallowy Creampuff because Im partial to the 95s.

http://www.rangerovers.net/
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old November 21st, 2011, 09:43 PM
cellulararrest's Avatar
cellulararrest
Status: Offline
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newburyport, MA
Posts: 1,544
If you want something to compete with a 'modern' vehicle, then the only way to go is a '95. There's no debating how much nicer the dash makes the interior feel.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old November 21st, 2011, 09:55 PM
phoenix37's Avatar
phoenix37
Status: Online
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Venice, CA/Yarmouth,ME
Posts: 5,788
Registry
yes thats my website.....kidding.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:09 PM
cwilder's Avatar
cwilder
Status: Offline
Chad
2012 110 Black
Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Las Vegas, NV
Posts: 739
Registry
funny, I've been looking at getting a RRC LWB. I do want a 95 though. not a lot out there.
__________________
_________________________________
2016 Range Rover TD6
2013 Raptor F150 SVT
1997 D-90 #1867 (sold) :(
2012 Black 110 :) In OZ still
2011 LR4 "Metropolis" (sold) :(
2011 Raptor F150 SVT (sold) :(
2007 Shelby GT500 (sold)
2007 LR3 (sold)
2006 RRS (sold)
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:26 PM
o2batsea's Avatar
o2batsea
Status: Offline
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: kensington md
Posts: 6,503
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix37
Youre a strange bird Bill. Depends on what you are looking to do with it but I must be a Marshmallowy Creampuff because Im partial to the 95s.

http://www.rangerovers.net/
The truck, friend, not necessarily the driver.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.
__________________
Bill Adams

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:30 PM
JackW's Avatar
JackW
Status: Offline
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Roswell, GA, USA
Posts: 930
1991 models had an improved electrical and HVAC system and some 91's and 92's were available without ABS.

Definitely get the 3.9 engine used in 89 and up models - much more power than the 3.5 in the 87-88 RRC.

My personal favorite was the 1991 Hunter Edition - no sunroof to leak, no ABS, cloth manually adjustable seats, no sway bars, ventilated front brakes - one of the best Range Rovers ever made according to one of the guys from LRNA who was checking mine out at the 1995 MAR. I put 120,000 miles on that truck with very few issues and it had almost 200K on it when I sold it.

But - 2 door Range Rovers are way cool - and a Tdi powered 2-dr would be the ultimate RRC
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old November 21st, 2011, 10:38 PM
phoenix37's Avatar
phoenix37
Status: Online
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Venice, CA/Yarmouth,ME
Posts: 5,788
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
I didnt realize that was you! We met breifly a couple years ago ('09) at Mendo.


-Jeff

EDIT: Ok that was weird, the 'kidding' part just showed up. it wasn't there earlier.
I waited to see your reaction before I added it....
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old November 21st, 2011, 11:41 PM
ArmyRover's Avatar
ArmyRover
Status: Offline
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"
Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Augusta, GA
Posts: 1,617
91 Hunter Edition is the only way to go
__________________
"If you can't stand behind our Soldiers, than by all means feel free to stand in front of them"

Unknown Author


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
716-898-8153
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old November 22nd, 2011, 08:32 AM
rover4x4's Avatar
rover4x4
Status: Offline
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: The Old North State
Posts: 7,525
Registry
x2 on the Hunter, I love that damn thing
__________________
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old November 22nd, 2011, 09:21 AM
Abrooks's Avatar
Abrooks
Status: Offline
Tony Brooks
.
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Arlington, VA
Posts: 4,926
Of the 5 or so RRCs I've had, the '91 hunter was by far the best. In very large part, though, it was beacause the PO had put a LOT of time and effort into tracking down all of the electrical gremlins they all have. While the cloth manual seats, no sunroof, etc were nice to have, a concientious previous owner is far more important.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old November 25th, 2011, 01:12 PM
newfD90's Avatar
newfD90
Status: Offline
Chance
93 NAS 110
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Monument, Colorado
Posts: 1,359
I've always been partial to the SWB 1995. Finally found replacement for the one I sold back in '05 when I bought the MkIII. I agree with Bill; EAS is the shizz. If you can find one with it intact, that is. Most people have thrown it away. I was lucky in that I found an Epsom Green, 1995 SWB, 68k miles with EAS intact. Even better is it has the uprated Gen III Arnott air bags on it. Since the Gen IIIs have 2" more travel, 10 minutes with the MacBook and you've got a 2" lift.
__________________
Chance

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old November 25th, 2011, 01:13 PM
cellulararrest's Avatar
cellulararrest
Status: Offline
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newburyport, MA
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90 View Post
I've always been partial to the SWB 1995. Finally found replacement for the one I sold back in '05 when I bought the MkIII. I agree with Bill; EAS is the shizz. If you can find one with it intact, that is. Most people have thrown it away. I was lucky in that I found an Epsom Green, 1995 SWB, 68k miles with EAS intact. Even better is it has the uprated Gen III Arnott air bags on it. Since the Gen IIIs have 2" more travel, 10 minutes with the MacBook and you've got a 2" lift.
Which program are you using?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old November 25th, 2011, 01:23 PM
newfD90's Avatar
newfD90
Status: Offline
Chance
93 NAS 110
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Monument, Colorado
Posts: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
Which program are you using?
Storey Wilson's EASUnlock:

http://rswsolutions.com/index.php?op...d=57&Itemid=57

USB <-> RS232 dongle with the program running in a VMWare VM on my MacBook.

I tried to build my own cable, but found that the diagnostic connector on the EAS ECU difficult to source. I finally gave up and bought this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Rang...#ht_1066wt_907

Well worth it. Good seller and quick shipping from the UK. Even includes the USB<->RS232 converter.

I see you've got a TWR 95. Nice! I just missed buying one. Mine isn't a TWR, but it's nice enough.
__________________
Chance

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old November 25th, 2011, 01:32 PM
cellulararrest's Avatar
cellulararrest
Status: Offline
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newburyport, MA
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90 View Post
Storey Wilson's EASUnlock:

http://rswsolutions.com/index.php?op...d=57&Itemid=57

USB <-> RS232 dongle with the program running in a VMWare VM on my MacBook.

I tried to build my own cable, but found that the diagnostic connector on the EAS ECU difficult to source. I finally gave up and bought this:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Classic-Rang...#ht_1066wt_907

Well worth it. Good seller and quick shipping from the UK. Even includes the USB<->RS232 converter.

I see you've got a TWR 95. Nice! I just missed buying one. Mine isn't a TWR, but it's nice enough.
Yeah it's Art's old truck. It's fantastic. I believe pretty much everything is still intact for the EAS except for the bags. It has OME's in it now and I really don't like the ride very much. I've been toying with putting the EAS back in. Once you get your head around the system it really seems pretty straightforward to diagnose and keep maintained. Especially with the Arnott springs.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old November 25th, 2011, 02:11 PM
newfD90's Avatar
newfD90
Status: Offline
Chance
93 NAS 110
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Monument, Colorado
Posts: 1,359
Quote:
Originally Posted by cellulararrest View Post
Yeah it's Art's old truck. It's fantastic. I believe pretty much everything is still intact for the EAS except for the bags. It has OME's in it now and I really don't like the ride very much. I've been toying with putting the EAS back in. Once you get your head around the system it really seems pretty straightforward to diagnose and keep maintained. Especially with the Arnott springs.
So that's where it went! I was thinking hard about that one, but I wasn't quite ready to get rid of the MkIII yet. Then, I just missed the supercharged one he sold recently. The one I ended up with is a beauty, but it's got a bit of corrosion.

Anyway, mine had the Arnott bags and Bilstein shocks on it when I got it. However, none of the ride heights had been adjusted (still at stock). I think that if you go with the Arnott bags, raising heights is a requirement. At speed (on the freeway), I'd occasionally bottom out if I hit a big bump. I've seen others complain about this as well. Once I adjusted all of profiles upwards, no more bottoming out.

Once you read about the system and play with EASUnlock, you'll have the confidence needed to maintain it. I've attached a document I found on the web when I was researching. It might be useful.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf eas.pdf (1.17 MB, 430 views)
__________________
Chance

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old November 25th, 2011, 02:31 PM
cellulararrest's Avatar
cellulararrest
Status: Offline
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Location: Newburyport, MA
Posts: 1,544
Quote:
Originally Posted by newfD90 View Post
So that's where it went! I was thinking hard about that one, but I wasn't quite ready to get rid of the MkIII yet. Then, I just missed the supercharged one he sold recently. The one I ended up with is a beauty, but it's got a bit of corrosion.

Anyway, mine had the Arnott bags and Bilstein shocks on it when I got it. However, none of the ride heights had been adjusted (still at stock). I think that if you go with the Arnott bags, raising heights is a requirement. At speed (on the freeway), I'd occasionally bottom out if I hit a big bump. I've seen others complain about this as well. Once I adjusted all of profiles upwards, no more bottoming out.

Once you read about the system and play with EASUnlock, you'll have the confidence needed to maintain it. I've attached a document I found on the web when I was researching. It might be useful.
Awesome. Thanks for the link. I've been slowing putting together information about it. That's a good addition. For the tires I'm running I would need to increase the ride height a bit anyway so that's good to hear.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old November 25th, 2011, 02:34 PM
newfD90's Avatar
newfD90
Status: Offline
Chance
93 NAS 110
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: Monument, Colorado
Posts: 1,359
Glad to help. Once you get it all together, if you need cal values to compare to, let me know.
__________________
Chance

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Reply With Quote
Reply

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
95 RRC goodies (some DI & RRC crossover) RoverDude For Sale - Parts 4 August 24th, 2010 03:19 PM
1995 RRC SWB - Feeler? APaden For Sale - Vehicles 8 March 2nd, 2008 08:16 PM
Parting out '87 RRC devinchi For Sale - Parts 0 November 1st, 2005 07:48 PM
RRC non-ABS: can you lock brakes? artm Defender Technical Discussions 1 May 30th, 2005 07:13 PM
DII LT-230 in Old RRC, HELP Please. RedRhinoProducts Defender Technical Discussions 1 November 6th, 2004 02:24 PM


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:08 PM.


Copyright