Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old August 15th, 2015, 02:27 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
RR Evoque - Opinions?

OK everyone, I have been mulling over the possibility of getting a commuter car that won't require driving the LR3 and its afterburner-like fuel economy numbers.

One of the things I am looking at is a 2016 RR Evoque with the Ingenium Turbodiesel, rated at 56 MPG on the highway. The thing isn't available in the US just yet, but I am feeling out how people like the car in general.

Does anyone have any actual opinions after owning one? Yes, I know Posh Spice helped make it and all that. It's going to be an on-roader most of the time, and yes I am looking at other things... but this is on the list to "keep it in the family" so to speak.

So.... any first hand experience?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2015, 03:29 AM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Neill - Have you sat in one? I'm a pretty decent sized guy and I'm cramped in them.. If you are looking for a runabout for putzing around town I'd get a disco sport with a diesel when they become available over the evoque.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old August 15th, 2015, 04:15 AM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Hey Jake... we rented one briefly in Portland earlier this year and I rode around as a passenger. Since we are on the far side of the world at the moment (approaching Da Nang, Vietnam) it will have to wait until this fall to really get inside one for some nit picky inspection.

As for the Discovery Sport... I want to see one in person. It screams "Ford Explorer" to me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old August 15th, 2015, 05:30 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Are they actually going to bring the diesel Evoque to the U.S.? If so I missed that report. Only seen RR tdv6 so far. Is your mpg figure UK mpg rather than US mpg?

Honestly I'd rather save my cash and get an Escape with the same chassis and drivetrain and save my dollars.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old August 15th, 2015, 07:25 AM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
I really don't like them. I think they are way too expensive for what they are. The Discovery sport is nicer than the current Evoque and is a lot cheaper.
Old August 15th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Paul K
Paul Kennington
'85 Ninety V8 SW

Registry
I was going to buy one for my wife, but after a test drive, we decided to omit the Evoque froom the list. Very poor rear visibility, and a cramped cabin were the main factors.

YMMV!
Old August 15th, 2015, 10:29 AM
mgreenspan
Matthew Greenspan
Land Rovers

Registry
You want a commuter, buy a commuter. The Evoqie serves no purpose unless you can't live with driving a sedan or wagon and must have a fancy interior. Buy a Ford Escape if you want that size and save your money. If you want a true commuter get a VW Golf or sport wagon with the tdi.

The Discovery Sport would have been a recommendation until I saw it in person. It is not identifiable as a Land Rover and is another turn in the wrong direction. Don't do it!

You little rebel, I like you.
Old August 15th, 2015, 12:33 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
There are a bunch running around here almost all driven by women. I don't know what that means, I just haven't seen any driven by a man, draw your own conclusions
Old August 15th, 2015, 12:49 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Weren't they more or less penned just to avoid London proper daily large vehicle penalties?

As a side note, I thought I typed "weren't" at the start of my statement but it initially read "weeny!" Draw your own conclusions... ;-)
Old August 15th, 2015, 01:17 PM
MonLand
Loic Fabro
95 D90 - 96 Disco -06 LR3

Registry
I have not driven an Evoque yet.
I do like the shape and it reminds me of a rally car. It kinda remind me of the range sport based bowler from a few years ago.
It will be on my list of potential next car to replace my LR3.
it is not hoarding it is selective collecting
---
MonLand
1995 D90 NAS
1996 Discovery NAS
2006 LR3 NAS (hers, but comfy! :) )
Old August 15th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Crash303
Josh Harris
97/ D90 ST #1190

I have a 2014 TDi Passot and thought my wife and I love the mileage. I can't stand the cheap interior and poor interface/ bluetooth. I talk to my wife everyday while she is driving and there is so damn much road noise. VW failed when it came to designing the interior. It is like they haven't changed anything since 2005. Also every dealership I have been to has very piss poor service!

"They are, in factory original condition, noisy, they leak water in from the top and oil out from underneath, you can never demist the windows in winter, they handle like scaffolding towers, and use more fuel than Beijing." Richard Hammond
Old August 15th, 2015, 01:39 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash303 View Post
I have a 2014 TDi Passot and thought my wife and I love the mileage. I can't stand the cheap interior and poor interface/ bluetooth. I talk to my wife everyday while she is driving and there is so damn much road noise. VW failed when it came to designing the interior. It is like they haven't changed anything since 2005. Also every dealership I have been to has very piss poor service!
That and the hpfp fears have me looking at a fusion hybrid for my next DD rather than the Passat tdi

Old August 15th, 2015, 01:41 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by navydevildoc View Post
...rated at 56 MPG on the highway....
That can't be US gallons??

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old August 15th, 2015, 01:42 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
My wife had a gti. Loved it. No tdi mileage, but uber fun. Has vw fixed the engine oil light? Hers came on to let her know it was out of oil while doing 70 on the freeway. Fortunately, she believed it and stopped right away and called AAA. I would have just thought to be low and driven on while seizing the engine!
Old August 15th, 2015, 02:24 PM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
There are a bunch running around here almost all driven by women. I don't know what that means, I just haven't seen any driven by a man, draw your own conclusions
Go ahead and say it Raub...it's a chick car!

Way back when VW reintroduced the Beetle, I had a buddy who got on a list to get one as soon as it hit the lot(since he had a '71 in high school)...only to find a few weeks later that only girls were driving them.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old August 15th, 2015, 03:20 PM
D90Overkill
David Frank
1995 ST #2615

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Go ahead and say it Raub...it's a chick car! Way back when VW reintroduced the Beetle, I had a buddy who got on a list to get one as soon as it hit the lot(since he had a '71 in high school)...only to find a few weeks later that only girls were driving them.

Just let it play and try not to laugh up your beer!
Old October 6th, 2015, 01:47 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Proof that the Evoque is style not substance

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/cars/land...ilmed-testing/

Old October 7th, 2015, 01:50 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

I had an Evoque from the dealer a couple of weeks ago as a loaner when they had the LR4 a couple of weeks. At least the US version is not very good:

- Spends a fair amount of time hunting for the right gear when accelerating
- The Eco mode actually shut the car down completely while sitting in traffic; people were stuck behind me until I figured out what had happened
- Annoying flashing in the mirror to warn you of things you see in your mirror; I suppose if you like distractions while you're driving it's good, bad if you regularly check your mirrors
- Automatic doesn't creep forward when you release the brake sometimes and seems to require a variable amount of gas pedal pressure to go forward - I was always concerned that it'd take off and I'd smack the thing I was trying to inch closer to.
- Displays are an odd style - I'd prefer a simple display rather than a magnify effect they have going on.

If you're in the US, you may want to look into a Nissan Juke or similar if you're looking for something that style.
Old October 7th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Elbee
Lance
1989 110 200tdi

Registry
Aesthetically speaking. The hardtop is kinda sexy. Good for day to day life, i think.
Old October 7th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael67 View Post
I had an Evoque from the dealer a couple of weeks ago as a loaner when they had the LR4 a couple of weeks. At least the US version is not very good:

- Spends a fair amount of time hunting for the right gear when accelerating
- The Eco mode actually shut the car down completely while sitting in traffic; people were stuck behind me until I figured out what had happened
- Annoying flashing in the mirror to warn you of things you see in your mirror; I suppose if you like distractions while you're driving it's good, bad if you regularly check your mirrors
- Automatic doesn't creep forward when you release the brake sometimes and seems to require a variable amount of gas pedal pressure to go forward - I was always concerned that it'd take off and I'd smack the thing I was trying to inch closer to.
- Displays are an odd style - I'd prefer a simple display rather than a magnify effect they have going on.

If you're in the US, you may want to look into a Nissan Juke or similar if you're looking for something that style.
If it went into an eco stop and didn't restart as soon as you lifted your foot off the brake, there is a problem with the vehicle.

The light on the mirror is a blind spot monitor which is common on most luxury cars. It is pretty necessary with the giant blind spots in an Evoque.

The transmission basically puts itself in neutral when you are stopped in an effort to increase fuel economy, although if your foot is off the brake, it will not do that. The vehicle you were driving could have a problem based on what you are describing.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat