Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 8th, 2015, 12:44 PM
michael67
Michael White
110 Tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
If it went into an eco stop and didn't restart as soon as you lifted your foot off the brake, there is a problem with the vehicle.

The light on the mirror is a blind spot monitor which is common on most luxury cars. It is pretty necessary with the giant blind spots in an Evoque.

The transmission basically puts itself in neutral when you are stopped in an effort to increase fuel economy, although if your foot is off the brake, it will not do that. The vehicle you were driving could have a problem based on what you are describing.
Concerning the first problem, the car shut down, i.e. the shift knob moved itself into park and retracted. There may be a problem with the car, but what? Similarly with not going forward. And what are the odds that the dealer would address these under warranty if you or I experienced the problem with our car?

I realize that Land Rover is trying to comply with the government mileage fatwa, but how many people are interested in increasing their mileage by (at most) 1 MPG at the cost of a much worse driving experience and much higher repair bills down the road when these things fail?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2015, 12:53 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by michael67 View Post
Concerning the first problem, the car shut down, i.e. the shift knob moved itself into park and retracted. There may be a problem with the car, but what? Similarly with not going forward. And what are the odds that the dealer would address these under warranty if you or I experienced the problem with our car?
I'm actually a mechanic at a dealer, so I would be the one addressing the problem The vehicle you were driving may have a software issue with the transmission control module. It is fairly common for this to happen on new Range Rovers and Range Rover Sports. The vehicle will also automatically shut itself completely off if the driver unbuckles the seatbelt, opens a door, or opens the hood during an eco stop.

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael67 View Post
I realize that Land Rover is trying to comply with the government mileage fatwa, but how many people are interested in increasing their mileage by (at most) 1 MPG at the cost of a much worse driving experience and much higher repair bills down the road when these things fail?
Its not so much the fuel savings as it is tailpipe emissions. You burn no fuel and emit no tailpipe emissions during an eco stop. For one person driving one car, it is pretty insignificant, but if all cars did this it would save a lot of fuel and lower all tailpipe emissions.
Old October 8th, 2015, 01:17 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Means nothing to someone living in Dripping Springs, Texas. Means a lot to someone living in a zip code within 30 miles of 20001.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 8th, 2015, 03:16 PM
LRNAD90
Scott T
1995 Defender 90 ST

Registry
It was a couple of years ago now, but my wife wanted to drive one, so we did. I wasn't impressed, nor was she. That was back when it 'only' had an eight speed transmission..

Funny test drive story. Salesman went over everything with us and sent us on our way. 15 minutes later, wife stopped to change drivers, put it in park, and it shuts down...

Someone forgot to leave the key with us, so the start button no workie.. Good thing we had a cell phone, so we sat on the side of the road for 15 minutes till they came with the key..

Did I mention I'm not big on all the new technology in cars? But I am apparently in the minority, one of the lone few that would prefer to row my own gears, and not have my car connected to the Internet..

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old October 8th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by LRNAD90 View Post
It was a couple of years ago now, but my wife wanted to drive one, so we did. I wasn't impressed, nor was she. That was back when it 'only' had an eight speed transmission..
I don't like Range Rover Evoques at all. With the Discovery Sport, there is no reason at all to buy an Evoque. I actually think the 9 speed transmission is a huge improvement over the 8 speed. They feel much quicker off the line now, and the turbo lag doesn't seem to be as bad.
Old October 8th, 2015, 04:49 PM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
I used to refer to it as the Spice Girl car or the Ejoke. However, after being forced to spend a week driving around DC (thx to my LR dealer not having the right parts to perform recall work), I changed my mind. It's not bad as a city car, and I've been thinking about replacing my daily driver with it. Then again, I haven't tried the Disco Sport yet, so who knows...

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway
Old October 9th, 2015, 12:28 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
Worst looking LR in my opinion. But hey, most buyers these days are only buying for the look anyway.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old October 9th, 2015, 01:23 PM
pl626
Peter
1995 Range Rover County SWB

Registry
Freelander/ LR2 was pretty bad as well...

pc

'95 RRC SWB
'95 RRC LWB (Sold)
'06 E350 Sport
'87 HD FLST w/ '02 Fatboy sheetmetal
'02 Hobie Getaway
Old October 19th, 2015, 03:18 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
I drove an Evoque home today as a loaner, I like it as a city car, you have to turn off Eco mode every time you get in though which is stupid.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old October 19th, 2015, 03:59 PM
hmmrbrg
HMMRBRG
1972 SIII 109

The MPG on the RR EVOQUE TD4 seem pretty amazing. Even after you convert it to US mpg. Test drove a TD6 RRSport last week. Nice power for city traffic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mpg.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	239.5 KB
ID:	132767  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat