Rr 4.4 Hse - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 7th, 2009, 11:54 AM
cabell
Cabell Crowther

Rr 4.4 Hse

Can anyone give an idea of real world mpg on an 03+ RR HSE? What issues should one look out for on these rigs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2009, 12:05 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
15-18 MPG is what I hear from customers. The trucks seem to hold up well so far. In Rover fashion they do have a bunch of oil and fluid leaks from the different lines and hoses.

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:21 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

I have been able to pull over 20 average out of my father's while trying. However once you start hitting traffic lights that can drop quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 7th, 2009, 01:17 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

You'll probably see around 12-14 in the city, but in the low-mid 20's on the highway. New body Range Rovers have a few problems. I haven't seen many leaking, but they have some evap hoses near the back of the engine that tend to turn mushy and collapse on themselves. Cats are known for developing pinhole leaks in the welds which set check engine lights, the electric steering columns fail and the wheel will just lay in your lap, pixels in the display on the gauge cluster go out, door panels start wrinkling and separating, the coating on the steering wheel spokes wears and peels off...

Suspension can become faulty in real cold weather as the vehicle ages. One nice thing is that the new body style RR's default to the normal ride height if there is an EAS fault as opposed to p38's which just laid themselves on the bump stops.
Old January 7th, 2009, 01:59 PM
cabell
Cabell Crowther

Thanks for the info guys. Mileage sounds like it may be a little better than my current 4.0 RR. Just trying to get a handle on ownership expense relative to a P38 or actually to the wifes BMW 5 wagon which has an appetite for little black boxes. Andrew, Is the steering column thing an expensive fix?
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:14 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

The secret is to not use the power steering column. Set it where you want it and never touch it.
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:28 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabell
Thanks for the info guys. Mileage sounds like it may be a little better than my current 4.0 RR. Just trying to get a handle on ownership expense relative to a P38 or actually to the wifes BMW 5 wagon which has an appetite for little black boxes. Andrew, Is the steering column thing an expensive fix?
Yes, very expensive (IIRC about $1,500 to replace the column). I would say that ownership out of warranty is very expensive, more so than either your 4.0 or a 5 series. The 5 is probably a little cheaper, and if I was to venture a guess (based on my own 5 series ownership experience) you will have more problems with a Range than the 5. However, that being said, if the trim and pixels don't bother you when they go bad, it isn't too bad. The major systems to keep it roadworthy are pretty stout and the cat could be rewelded by a muffler shop I would think. The HVAC and EAS systems are much better than the p38 system which frequently fail ie. blend door motors, heater core o-rings, air springs, height sensors, compressors, valve blocks etc. are all much more common to fail on a p38 than a new body Range. They tend to have far fewer leaks than the p38's too. The newer body Range Rover is really a great truck, but can be expensive to maintain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
The secret is to not use the power steering column. Set it where you want it and never touch it.
Ron, you are right, but on the earlier Range Rovers ('03-'05 I think) the column telescopes and raises/lowers to your position every time you put the key in or take it out, so that isn't really an option.

BTW, I wasn't going to list it for a few more weeks, but if you decide you would rather replace it with a newer P38, I am planning to sell mine in the near future. It is a '01 4.6HSE, silver with black leather, every option including NAV and only has 46k miles on it! Just throwing it out there if you happened to be considering going that route...
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:58 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Thumbs up

thats what we need another Rover in the family

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 7th, 2009, 03:14 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

"Ron, you are right, but on the earlier Range Rovers ('03-'05 I think) the column telescopes and raises/lowers to your position every time you put the key in or take it out, so that isn't really an option."

Ah yes, i forgot. I think I pulled the fuse on mine. The columns were on backorder forever.
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:50 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by evilfij
"Ron, you are right, but on the earlier Range Rovers ('03-'05 I think) the column telescopes and raises/lowers to your position every time you put the key in or take it out, so that isn't really an option."

Ah yes, i forgot. I think I pulled the fuse on mine. The columns were on backorder forever.
I remember your ex doing trails @ MAR with one of these, was that a dealershp truck or your personal one Ron ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old January 7th, 2009, 08:17 PM
D-Dave
David Jensen
'97 D-90 ST

Don't forget the front diff-I had an '04 before I picked up my '08 and the thing scared me to death. Over on the RR forum they had people have these things going bad driving down the interstate. I would definitely check the history on any of them that you are looking at. I never had trouble with mine, but knew three other guys that had theirs in a few times to get them fixed. One had his lock up at 40+ on an off ramp and put it in the ditch.
I liked the truck a lot though, and they aren't all that bad on milage...
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:29 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-Dave
Don't forget the front diff-I had an '04 before I picked up my '08 and the thing scared me to death. Over on the RR forum they had people have these things going bad driving down the interstate. I would definitely check the history on any of them that you are looking at. I never had trouble with mine, but knew three other guys that had theirs in a few times to get them fixed. One had his lock up at 40+ on an off ramp and put it in the ditch.
I liked the truck a lot though, and they aren't all that bad on milage...
Yes, the diffs used to be quite problematic (it was actually the splines on the input flange that started slipping on the shaft) but there is a recall for them now, so if it hasn't been fixed yet, it should be free at the dealer I believe.
Old January 7th, 2009, 09:25 PM
phoenix37
john
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110

Registry
Yes there is a recall and they will fix it for free plus give you a gift certificate for I think $125? for the inconvenience of having to bring it in.
Old January 8th, 2009, 01:14 AM
jordan0527
Jordan
97 D90 ST, 04 D2

I checked out Consumer Reports 2009 Car Buying Guide and had a chuckle at the big RR's reliability rating. -240% below average--dead last in the midsize SUV category, and so bad that the black bar graph had a special gap just to illustrate how low it was. Probably why they resell so poorly---often well under 20K for an'03.
Old January 8th, 2009, 08:16 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I recall something about the reliability ratings being taken from rather crude stats, something like the number of times a vehicle came back to the dealer after the sale - turns out a lot of those return visits were people not knowing how to use the various features like hill decent or low-range. I think the BMW 7 series got the same rap because people didn't know how to used i-drive.

Old January 8th, 2009, 10:20 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Yeah, there are a lot of visits for things that aren't even broken. The rear wiper on the Range Rover was particularly confusing to some, and I can't tell you how many people used to come in becuase their phone didn't work with the bluetooth when it first came out. The DVD systems seem to confuse a lot of people as well
My favorite though was a customer who brought in a car with a rattle, or squeak or something. The tech turned off the guy's k40 radar detector to listen for the sound and forgot to turn it on again when he finished. A week or so later, the customer brought the car back saying that his radar detector stopped working while it was in the shop. The tech asked him if he had turned it on and was met with a blank stare. He went outside and flipped the power switch on and voila!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
hse