Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 20th, 2013, 02:38 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Roversnorth web site broke?

Roversnorth web site still needs help. Main item is the search bar is missing and just has that spinning gear wheel rotating, not even the feedback page works.

Anybody else find this?

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2013, 02:50 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Ya. It happens most times but if I close my browser it works once.
Old May 20th, 2013, 03:05 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Sorry to hear that John, are you using IE? There's a known bug with IE not working correctly. We are working on it still. Have you tried the site on any other browser such as Firefox, Chrome, Opera, or Safari?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 20th, 2013, 03:35 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoversNorth View Post
Sorry to hear that John, are you using IE? There's a known bug with IE not working correctly. We are working on it still. Have you tried the site on any other browser such as Firefox, Chrome, Opera, or Safari?
Not sure I use windows, as for the other things you mentioned, isn't firefox about a Russian plane?, chrome is the poor mans galvanized, opera I prefer ballet, I suppose a safari in deepest Africa is in order while waiting for the RN web site to be 100%

thanks

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:37 AM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Graham and I have worked through a few things and this seems to be an issue with Microsoft Internet Explorer. Other browsers don't seem to have this problem. Would love to hear if anyone has had issues with anything other than IE.

Rovers North is looking for a fix, but Microsoft and Google aren't playing nice at the moment.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 10:51 AM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Thank you John for the follow up. We are trying, but we find our efforts to be best used on safer browsers such as Chrome, Firefox, Opera, and Safari. IE is an outdated browser and is really only popular because it has always been standard equipment on PCs.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:44 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

IE has a huge install base seems odd to ignore it
Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:53 AM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Unfortunately it is not us ignoring IE, it is Google. IE is unsafe, and accounts for less than 25% of all web browsing, that number continues to drop. There is generally no reason to use IE other than the fact that it comes standard on most machines sold. Chrome and Firefox both offer IE emulators if you really need to use IE.

Old July 22nd, 2013, 12:58 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoversNorth View Post
Unfortunately it is not us ignoring IE, it is Google. IE is unsafe, and accounts for less than 25% of all web browsing, that number continues to drop. There is generally no reason to use IE other than the fact that it comes standard on most machines sold. Chrome and Firefox both offer IE emulators if you really need to use IE.
I find this business strategy simply amazing. I continue to come across companies road blocking potential customers to their products. If I'm reading this right if less than 25% of your hits are potential customers are using IE than lets just call it 20%...so you're willing to loose 20% of your business because that percentage only wants to use IE. Good Luck with that.

BA currently deploys a strategy that makes you jump through hoops just to make a CC purchase on their web site because of CC fraud. They lost my order of $700.00 and I was just buying stuff I didn't really need anyway (impulse shopping) Guess it all comes down to the proverbial "Business decision", Right, Wrong or Indifferent.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 01:06 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
I find this business strategy simply amazing. I continue to come across companies road blocking potential customers to their products. If I'm reading this right if less than 25% of your hits are potential customers are using IE than lets just call it 20%...so you're willing to loose 20% of your business because that percentage only wants to use IE. Good Luck with that.

BA currently deploys a strategy that makes you jump through hoops just to make a CC purchase on their web site because of CC fraud. They lost my order of $700.00 and I was just buying stuff I didn't really need anyway (impulse shopping) Guess it all comes down to the proverbial "Business decision", Right, Wrong or Indifferent.
Thank you for the input Bill. It is not our statistics, it's 25% of the entire internet traffic.

We are not roadblocking anyone from accessing our site. It was built with every browser in mind. The only issue with our site and IE is that Google, who built/controls our in-site search feature, does not fully support IE. This is nothing we can change, but would like to. We only found out about the IE problems long after we had been using the Google search.

Our web developer Graham is constantly trying to better the website for the user experience. He, and everyone here want the user to have a great time with no issues on our website.

Old July 22nd, 2013, 01:12 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Where are you getting the 25%? I think the number for 2013 combined IE install base is around 50% (all generations).
Old July 22nd, 2013, 01:21 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Where are you getting the 25%? I think the number for 2013 combined IE install base is around 50% (all generations).
http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_...f_web_browsers

We are not looking at IE installs, as installs do not mean usage necessarily. We are looking at these numbers, as well as our own analytics.

Regardless of browser market, we would like everyone online to be able to use our entire site. We are frustrated that we cannot get the search to work perfectly with IE, and because it is only having issues with certain generations of IE it makes it harder to pinpoint. Hopefully Google will release a fix for us and we can get it working properly.

Old July 22nd, 2013, 01:53 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

IMO those stats are muddy...I don't think you can find reliable data outside your own internal reporting. Most folks operate on the path of least resistance, so whatever is easiest is the dogma of the day. I use 5 browsers, IE used to be my favorite. I don't have a favorite anymore as all of these sites track EVERYTHING you do and even TRY to track when you're not using their software...it's all a huge mess.

Being an online seller you folks over there certianly have your work cut out for you thats for sure. I've never had a problem with RN on the phone.
Old July 22nd, 2013, 02:25 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
IMO those stats are muddy...I don't think you can find reliable data outside your own internal reporting. Most folks operate on the path of least resistance, so whatever is easiest is the dogma of the day. I use 5 browsers, IE used to be my favorite. I don't have a favorite anymore as all of these sites track EVERYTHING you do and even TRY to track when you're not using their software...it's all a huge mess.

Being an online seller you folks over there certianly have your work cut out for you thats for sure. I've never had a problem with RN on the phone.
Agreed, it is certainly difficult to find reliable data of browser usage. Those were what I found when searching browser usage data on Google(coincidentally the company that runs Chrome, and Chrome kept coming up in 1st or close on the sites in the results). Our analytics shows a decline from 25% or so at the end of last year to around 21% now.

Either way, we would obviously prefer the site to run flawlessly on every browser. We also encourage people to report errors they find on our site.

I am glad to hear you have had good experiences on the phone, as that is 80% of our business. We encourage people to use both, as people generally have a preference.

Old July 22nd, 2013, 03:04 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Firefox rocks!
Old July 22nd, 2013, 11:51 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

On Firefox its gotten much slower. The part number entry box is useless. In fact I ended up googling the PN adding roversnorth and got it.
Also use ghostery which I'm tempted to er kill off.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 04:46 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

This is funny, considering for how many years web sites used the line, "Best Viewed with Internet Explorer". I've always used Mozilla, Netscape, Firefox...occasionally the IE emulator in Firefox. In the 90's there were plenty of sites that wouldn't even load if you weren't using IE, just give you a page telling you to get it.

That said, the RN website has sucked for a long time. Then again, way too many eCommerce sites suck. I really don't understand why so called "web masters" feel the need to use so many bells and whistles. They spend way too much time trying to be cool and lose sight, assuming they ever had it, of the basic purpose of the site they are developing. It's the Family Guy "Oooh, piece of candy" trap.
When I'm online to buy something I'm not looking to be wowed with glitz. Show me the product, give me the details on it, let me order it.

I've always said McMaster Carr's website is the gold standard for an eCommerce site. It just works.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old July 23rd, 2013, 06:30 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Quote:
I've always said McMaster Carr's website is the gold standard for an eCommerce site. It just works
One cool feature of their site is the ability to download 3D models of many fasteners and fittings, in your choice of six formats. I use them extensively for this when building 3D objects and scenes.

Honestly there are two places in the USA where I would buy parts from. The rest I get from the UK. Shipping is almost competitive, and sometimes lower.

RN, AB, and the rest of them really need to pull their head out of the 1990s

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old July 23rd, 2013, 07:03 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
And in ten years of ordering thousands of different parts in hundreds of sizes and descriptions, I've never had a single mistake in an order from McMaster-Carr.

Old July 23rd, 2013, 09:40 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
McMaster Carr really does kick ass. And they are dealing with items that should have issues of quantity and style if you think about it. But the only issues i have had have been on my end not ordering the right bolt size from my mental list.

Rovahfarm's site seems to work great for me - nothing fancy but a good combo of description/picture/selection. And Trevor always seems to be available.

FWIW I really like Rovers North style with the stencil of the area that the parts are and you can click on them.

I use a combo of Firefox and IE.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat