Roversnorth web site broke? - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 23rd, 2013, 11:55 AM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Thank you all for the input. We will certainly take this into consideration to move the website in the best direction possible.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:01 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post
I really don't understand why so called "web masters" feel the need to use so many bells and whistles. They spend way too much time trying to be cool and lose sight, assuming they ever had it, of the basic purpose of the site they are developing.
Well said. They need to focus on the GUI and dump the stuff that requires their recurring maintenance and servicing contracts that pads their fees. The kicker is when the owner is essentially locked out and needs to call back the developer to make the most basic of changes.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 02:16 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Rovahfarm's site seems to work great for me - nothing fancy but a good combo of description/picture/selection. And Trevor always seems to be available.
I have to admit that I consider Rovahfarm's web site front end to be a little weak (for example, most part pictures don't load properly, and there's no price on a search results) but the search works with LR part numbers and cross references, the service is great, the prices are low, and they ship very, very fast.

RDS sadly has an even more simplistic web site. It is basically a "menu" of common parts. Then you can email George and ask for specific things, but there's no way to search inventory.

I think that web sites can become way too complicated. IMHO Browser compatibility is one of those things that should be solved with simplicity of the user interface, as opposed to switching big pieces of .NET code on browser type.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 23rd, 2013, 06:41 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoversNorth View Post
It is not our statistics, it's 25% of the entire internet traffic.
It seems to me that RN serves a very specific market. Not examining your own user profiles before making a design decision seems like a mistake.

Quote:
It was built with every browser in mind.
Clearly not.

Quote:
The only issue with our site and IE is that Google, who built/controls our in-site search feature, does not fully support IE.
It sounds like your issue is with Google

Quote:
IE is unsafe
Most of the data that I have seen over the last couple of years shows that browser vulnerabilities in Chrome and Firefox outpace IE. http://www.symantec.com/threatreport...ulnerabilities

I have experienced some IE issues, most for me seem to be around rendering, not necessarily search. My search experience is average at best. I don't feel that a different browser would make a difference here.

At the end of the day, my biggest issue with the RN site is that it appears to try to do too much. As a result, it does not really seem to do any one thing well.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 06:56 PM
RoversNorth
RN
2012 Land Rover Defender
D-90 Source Vendor

Thank you for the input Matt, it is quite helpful to hear your opinions.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1319 Vt Rt 128, Westford, VT 05494
Please message me with any questions you have.
Old July 23rd, 2013, 10:26 PM
cellulararrest
Chris Snyder
1994 D90 #614 | '07 L322 SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattarm View Post
Most of the data that I have seen over the last couple of years shows that browser vulnerabilities in Chrome and Firefox outpace IE. http://www.symantec.com/threatreport...ulnerabilities
Holy christ is that a terrible way to judge browser vulnerabilities. You're talking about documented vulnerabilities - As is, it has been found, patched, and the patch released. Things like background updating in Chrome and Firefox make this a snap. That combined with bug bounties and the open source community around Chromium increase the number of documented and patched vulnerabilities.

With what version of IE are you guys having so many issues? Anything prior to IE8 (same thing with prior to Firefox 3.6) is pretty ridiculous to try and support these days. Even IE8 support in new web applications is falling off.

You really should update your browser and stop complaining.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat