Old June 14th, 2015, 08:47 AM
110fender
devin
1987 110

Rovers returned!

Feds driven to admit dozens of Land Rover seizures were wrong

By Jonathan Serrie | FoxNews.com
Published June 12, 2015

Vintage Land Rovers that looked so good they fooled the federal government into seizing them are being returned to their owners this week after a legal nightmare that began nearly a year ago.

Dozens of the iconic Defender models were seized by the Department of Homeland Security after U.S. buyers purchased them from abroad and had them shipped here. Vehicles that do not comply with safety and emissions standards cannot be purchased from foreign sellers unless they are 25 years or older, and therefore exempt from the regulations. North Carolina lawyer and Land Rover enthusiast Will Hedrick, who has represented more than two dozen Defender owners free of charge, believes investigators mistook the vehicles for newer models.

“I had seven law enforcement officers block my driveway and take my Land Rover, with bulletproof vests and guns in holsters,” recalled Jennifer Brinkley, who paid $60,000 for her classic Land Rover Defender. The North Carolina mother’s dream ride, inspired by memories of African safaris.

Seized under civil forfeiture laws, Brinkley's 1985 Land Rover languished at a Williamston impound lot until Thursday, when she went with attorney Christina Clodfelter, who worked with Hedrick, to retrieve it.

Hedrick said if he hadn't agreed to work pro bono, the government might never have been forced to admit its mistake. In civil forfeitures, he said, innocent property owners often decide to cut their losses.

“It just gets too expensive,” Hedrick said. “You’re going to spend more money trying to get your property back than what it’s worth. So, people just write it off.”

In the case of the seized Defenders, Hedrick believes investigators may have misread some of the Vehicle Identification Numbers (VINs) and mistaken them for newer models. He also said it’s easy to install new parts on old Defenders, making them appear newer than they are.

Federal authorities declined to comment on specific cases. However, a spokesman for the U.S. Attorney’s Office in Raleigh, N.C., told Fox News in an email that 25 seized vehicles are being returned to owners around the country.

“People need to know that they do not have to take it — that they can contact an attorney,” Brinkley said. “They can get help. And they should never give up on their property.”
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2015, 09:17 AM
110fender
devin
1987 110

Of course, i scrolled down and this has already been posted....
Old June 14th, 2015, 11:11 AM
110fender
devin
1987 110

Yep. I just saw the article this morning and thought I'd put it up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 14th, 2015, 11:42 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
No worries sir! There are plenty of folks that are excited about this, as they should be!

Would one of the Moderators mind merging this thread with the main thread? Thanks y'all!

------ Follow up post added June 14th, 2015 11:44 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
You do realize that Will is on the board and is the horses mouth so to speak.

-Jeff
Jeff,

I definitely prefer being the horse's mouth over being the other end of the horse!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Please feel free to visit my website at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old June 14th, 2015, 12:19 PM
110fender
devin
1987 110

I wonder the condition of the returned trucks. Some of the trucks I've imported were fairly trashed by customs when I got em.
Old June 14th, 2015, 01:11 PM
LuisC
Luis Constantin
98 Disvovery 1 LE

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 110fender View Post
I wonder the condition of the returned trucks. Some of the trucks I've imported were fairly trashed by customs when I got em.
Other than dead batteries and stale fuel, probably not bad.
Depending on where they were kept some might have hardened bushings and seized calipers.
Those have been the issues I've seen with vehicles that have sat for a while.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat