Rovers North - Defenders in catalog - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old October 10th, 2007, 05:39 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Rovers North - Defenders in catalog

Every time one of their catalogs arrive, I always notice a later model Defender or two that is non-NAS with CT or other New England state plate. Note, I'm not referring to the stock image LR pics, or the out of country stories, but the ones from the local trail ride features and certain product layouts. In total, it seems like quite a number are running around those parts. Anyone know the story with these?

Likewise, there is another vendor who owns non NAS Defenders, and maintains he has no issue importing them (but won't say how to do it and doesn't want anyone asking about it, so no names). This issue has been well discussed here, and I don't mean to bring it up again. Rather, I would just like to know how these trucks are here. As Jon Lovitz might say, "I want one, too, is that soo wrrrong!?"
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2007, 05:47 PM
oldscratchggf
nate
95 d90

with enough money, anything is possible. that applies to Defenders as well.

Over the past 6-8 months I have seen a definite increase in non NAS defenders in the San Francisco Bay Area. I talked to one guy who had a dark grey late 90`s TD5 110 wagon. All he had to say was that he had no issues getting it here, but it set him back big time. He also struck me as kind of an asshole.
Old October 10th, 2007, 05:47 PM
64rovr
Adam

Vermont state law helps RN out to a huge extent. They only "enforce" a 15 year registration rule. So a vehicle can be imported as parts (in pieces), re-assembled, and then registered as exactly what it is (a 1992 Land Rover 90 for example). Its still kind of a grey area of legality but its not as shady as something being registered as a Series rover or something.

Theres another guy in RI that is doing things just downright illegally. He is bringing in ex-military 90s and registering them on a phony VIN # that puts the thing on paper as a 1980 Land Rover 90. You will see his operation crash and burn in short order.

'95 Discovery 4.6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old October 10th, 2007, 05:56 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Adam,

Now that you mention it, those are green Vermont tags on them, aren't they - not CT? I don't have the pics in hand. Some of the trucks do look about 15 years old, but there was a forest green looking one (not conniston) from an issue a few months back that seemed newer. Maybe just a fresh paint job.
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:15 PM
DaveG
David
97' Disco-I 300TDI

Not everyone likes to give up their secrets...... especially when you get hammered for having one, getting one, knowing how to get one, knowing someone who has one, etc.... as you said, it's been brought up all over this board and many others. I'm sure if your serious enough and have the money to spend, someone will tell you where to go or what to do.

Cheers-

Follow-up Post:

Theres another guy in RI that is doing things just downright illegally. He is bringing in ex-military 90s and registering them on a phony VIN # that puts the thing on paper as a 1980 Land Rover 90. You will see his operation crash and burn in short order.

[/QUOTE]Really? How would you know this? I wouldn't throw things out into a public forum that you are not sure of and that are NOT TRUE. I'd be curious how you heard this?
Old October 10th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Not to put you guys on the spot, but don't you military guys have incredibly lenient rules about bringing a foreign car into the US when you return from being stationed overseas? I thought I heard that it was much less hassle and hoops to jump through.
Old October 10th, 2007, 07:14 PM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64rovr
I don't think you know what you're talking about. It's a shame that you burned that bridge. He's a great guy, very helpful and loves to talk Rovers.
Old October 10th, 2007, 07:30 PM
DaveG
David
97' Disco-I 300TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by steinhnj
I don't think you know what you're talking about. It's a shame that you burned that bridge. He's a great guy, very helpful and loves to talk Rovers.
x2..... way to throw darts.

By the way..... how's it going Neil?
Old October 10th, 2007, 08:28 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
My understanding based on a few different sources is that RN imported several trucks for the armed forces. The DOT gave them an allotment that was greater than the number of trucks they ended up importing under contract. So they had a few "freebies" so to speak, for themselves. They are legit trucks. I have seen the bonatti d-90 up close many times.
Old October 11th, 2007, 03:04 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stmpede
Not to put you guys on the spot, but don't you military guys have incredibly lenient rules about bringing a foreign car into the US when you return from being stationed overseas? I thought I heard that it was much less hassle and hoops to jump through.
Not at all. The only benefit to being military is an exemption from the 2.5% import duty.
Old October 11th, 2007, 06:17 AM
DaveG
David
97' Disco-I 300TDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
Is ther only 1 guy in RI into Rovers? Adam didnt mention names, so how do you know who he talking about.

-Jeffl
Yup. It's a very small state!
Old October 11th, 2007, 02:15 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmarchand
My understanding based on a few different sources is that RN imported several trucks for the armed forces. The DOT gave them an allotment that was greater than the number of trucks they ended up importing under contract. So they had a few "freebies" so to speak, for themselves. They are legit trucks. I have seen the bonatti d-90 up close many times.
Thanks for the reply. If this is the situation, it would certainly explain the trucks they feature.
Old October 12th, 2007, 11:32 PM
64rovr
Adam

I know these things because I have worked on/for the owner of one or two of his imports... very clearly they are not what they are registered as and I dont care about this individuals connection to the Rover community or to the US military what he is doing is not legal until it can be shown on paper otherwise.

'95 Discovery 4.6
Old October 14th, 2007, 08:08 AM
DaveG
David
97' Disco-I 300TDI

Quote:
I know these things because I have worked on/for the owner of one or two of his imports... very clearly they are not what they are registered as and I dont care about this individuals connection to the Rover community or to the US military what he is doing is not legal until it can be shown on paper otherwise.
Again, I will say that you really don't have any idea what your talking about. So what vehicle did you work on that had "switched or phony VIN's" as you previously wrote? I think your assuming things and shouldn't open your mouth unless you know what your talking about. This is a reputable, very well run shop that has some great rigs that are serviced and built for customers from all over the USA.

Get some facts before you shoot your mouth off.
Old October 14th, 2007, 06:47 PM
64rovr
Adam

You havent come forth with any facts either about how he imports ex-military 90s and 110s.

'95 Discovery 4.6
Old October 14th, 2007, 07:59 PM
DaveG
David
97' Disco-I 300TDI

Quote:
You havent come forth with any facts either about how he imports ex-military 90s and 110s.
Why would I? First, It's not my right to give out details about someone else's business. Also, I wasn't the one that came onto a public forum accusing someone of something I have no clue about. So, you my friend are the one that needs to come up with info.

You obviously have no basis for making your original comment:

Originally Posted by 64rovr: Theres another guy in RI that is doing things just downright illegally. He is bringing in ex-military 90s and registering them on a phony VIN # that puts the thing on paper as a 1980 Land Rover 90. You will see his operation crash and burn in short order.

Here your actually accusing someone of registering vehicles on phony VIN's... or VIN swaping. That's a pretty strong statement. I would just fuck off and keep your opinion to yourself. I don't know if your new to this scene or just to this site (4-5 posts?) but I would learn to watch and listen before you start making waves.

Cheers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat