Rover's here! - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 21st, 2007, 04:10 PM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Rover's here!

I just got a call from DAS that the Rover has arrived up in Baltimore. I'm going to go get it Saturday, and bring it for inspection on the way home. Then I can get tags. Then...

Then I guess I start becoming best friends with parts supply houses and you guys for tech advice?

I realize it's not a Defender. Forgive me. It's not for a toy, it's for business, and this fit my bill better.

[BTW: is this like the Jeep thing, where I don't wave to Cherokees, Grand Cherokees, and especially (God forbid) Liberties because they're not "real Jeeps?" - Do folks say RRs aren't "real Rovers"?]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2007, 04:15 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

You are fine in a classic. P38a and up are suspect.
Old February 21st, 2007, 05:50 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

people with defenders wave to each other?

I've never passed another defender while in mine...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 21st, 2007, 05:54 PM
ini88
Daniel Marcello
Alloy+Grit Creative Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkavan01
people with defenders wave to each other?

I've never passed another defender while in mine...
haha, i hear ya. i've passed a Defender in a different car and i waved and they looked at me like i was a retard.
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:25 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

The solution is always drive your defender.
Old February 21st, 2007, 09:39 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Other defender drivers treat me like an asshole.
Old February 21st, 2007, 10:47 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I'll wave, I've got a classic. It's no D (obviously since my Avatar hasn't changed...) but it's still fun, and a might more confortable.
Old February 21st, 2007, 11:03 PM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattarm
The solution is always drive your defender.
70 miles of commuting everyday means that would be expensive, i drive it on the nice and crappy days.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 07:57 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Thanks, guys.

I wasn't suggesting waving... I drive a Jeep right now, and have for 10 years +. The "Jeep wave" is becoming a courtesy of the past anyway, but "Jeep" drivers don't wave to drivers of not-real-Jeeps.

I read a website while surfing recently in which someone posited the theory that Range Rovers, Discoveries, LR3s, and especially Freelanders are NOT real Land Rovers - only Series and Defenders are "real" Rovers. Since I'm new here, don't have a Defender, and am on a "Defender" site... I was wondering if ever the topic came up about "real" rovers versus the rest. Doesn't matter to me - just curiousity. I like the RR and it should fit my needs perfectly, if not my wallet .

My Dad drives a Porsche - has for years; and for years he's sworn that the porsche version of a "Jeep wave" is the middle finger salute.

Maybe it's a European thing.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 08:40 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emerson00
Thanks, guys.

I wasn't suggesting waving... I drive a Jeep right now, and have for 10 years +. The "Jeep wave" is becoming a courtesy of the past anyway, but "Jeep" drivers don't wave to drivers of not-real-Jeeps.
When I'm driving my Defender, every once in awhile I'm given a semi-confused 'Jeep wave' by a Jeep driver.

Quote:
I read a website while surfing recently in which someone posited the theory that Range Rovers, Discoveries, LR3s, and especially Freelanders are NOT real Land Rovers - only Series and Defenders are "real" Rovers. Since I'm new here, don't have a Defender, and am on a "Defender" site... I was wondering if ever the topic came up about "real" rovers versus the rest. Doesn't matter to me - just curiousity. I like the RR and it should fit my needs perfectly, if not my wallet .

My Dad drives a Porsche - has for years; and for years he's sworn that the porsche version of a "Jeep wave" is the middle finger salute.

As long as you aren't driving a Freelander aka Ford Escape, I think your doing fine. Thats how I feel about the Boxster too, a sad excuse for a Porsche!

Based on what I've read, the only thing that out off-road an RR is a Defender, Discovery, LR3. Talk about keeping it within the family.

Next time someone wants to question what a Range Rover can do, show them this:
Old February 22nd, 2007, 09:20 AM
tkavan01
Trevor K
94 d90 #1304

Quote:
Thanks, guys.

a few years ago when i had my jeep i found a website that had charted out the hierarchy of jeep waves and assigned points modifications(i.e. lift, winch, body damage) it was great, i had one of the largest jeeps around, so would only wave to other lifted offroaded jeeps.
Old February 22nd, 2007, 12:08 PM
Flagg
Flagg
1995 Defender 90 NAS

Matt - I used to own a 1995 RR County LWB. It was one of the nicest cars I have ever owned. I sold it to a nearby friend - who has kept it nice - and every time I see it I kind of wish I has it back. It is a nice Truck!

I own and old 1993 911. People with 911s generally flash their headlights when they pass. This seems pretty common - ESPICALLY with older 911s.

Trevor - I have owned my D90 since new. Back in the beginning you used to see them every now and again on the road. People did wave! But I, like you, never see them anmore. Maybe we will pass each other in Columbia one day!

Flagg
Old February 26th, 2007, 03:25 PM
John_Karlsson
John Karlsson
1966 Series IIA 88 SW

I came out of the grocery store today to find a very spiffy 110 TD5 parked next to my 90 200Tdi. I guess I must be shopping in the right place.
Old February 26th, 2007, 04:31 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

[QUOTE=themaxx]When I'm driving my Defender, every once in awhile I'm given a semi-confused 'Jeep wave' by a Jeep driver.

I get this a lot here in Atlanta... Especially from the younger Jeep crowd. Like the Highschool guys with the 2" lift and the loud radio. The best was an "Off-roader" wave from a lifted 2x4 Ford Explorer with a basket rack and a tire on the roof.

Old February 26th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

Jeeps are the only ones that wave at me. I don't think I've gotten a wave from a rover in years.
Old February 26th, 2007, 08:31 PM
brn24whl
Eric
1994 RRC SWB

Registry
I don't have many Rover drivers in this area that know the wave lingo, so I live on the waves that are based on "hey another lifted cool truck" :-)

Eric
Direct Line 518-539-2231

If ordering on our online site please choose me as the sales rep. If placing a phone order please call me directly at the numbers above.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 27th, 2007, 07:45 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

Well, the RR's in for it's inspection (and an oil change). I "borrowed" a license plate from a family member's Jeep for a couple days (shhh)... after today's inspection I'll make it legal tomorrow and get real tags, but I just couldn't resist driving around this weekend.

Had to meet a prospective client out in a farm field, and the Rover just fit the part. A European client, and he liked the Rover (just starting this business, and this would be a huge contract for me, so anything helps).

It snowed Sunday, and I was out just playing, and getting a feel for the (big to me) truck in snow/slush/slippery stuff - very planted and solid feeling. It's a comfortable ride.

Overall it's in great condition. The seller is a photographer and well... he hid a few dings here and there and rust on the rear passenger window frame that I wish he hadn't (I paid premium). Mechanically it starts and drives smooth, though with a bit of mild driveline lash - just enough to notice, but something I'll keep a close eye on (normal?).

I filled the tank (reading completely empty and took 20 gallons) and after the first 90 miles it still read 3/4 full - I was babying it, but that's a lot more than I thought I'd see at a quarter down.

I was nervous about a Rover for my business, but I think it's going to be the perfect fit I figured originally. Equipment fits perfectly, the 4x4 should be adequate , and it's comfortable for me to drive as I'll be in it a lot.
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:24 AM
Treuwer
Trae Reuwer
94 D90

Sorry if I seem nosy, and I understand if you don't want to answer- but what is your business? If it involves regularly driving Land Rovers about in fields... can I have a job?
Old February 27th, 2007, 08:49 AM
Emerson00
Matt J.
None at the moment

I'm a land surveyor and civil engineer (trying to focus on Land Surveying)... and yes, on good days, it consists largely of driving around fields and woods. I just bid on a boundary and topographic survey of farm and wooded perimeter of 54 acres... I'll drive the farm on a 50' grid with a GPS antenna mounted on the brush guard (not your typical Garmin GPS antenna). Then I get out and slog through the wetlands and brush to locate the wood and water's edge.

[rant] Right now I still have my old office job with my old employer, and am miserable being chained to a desk in a flourescent lit office listening to sedentary old men whine about getting old for 10 hours a day while I send out the guys doing the outside work. [/rant]

It's a slow start, only a few key people are quietly passing my name out.
Old February 27th, 2007, 10:40 PM
Shake
Bob Hanson AKA Two-Socks
Red 94 D-90 #428

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Other defender drivers treat me like an asshole.
How many fingers are you waiving with, Jim?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat