Rovers Down South - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 2nd, 2005, 01:03 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Here is part of a picture from TerraServer. Georges street as of 8/31/05 was under water but cant tell how bad. If you got to the terraserver site to look at the huge version of the city, careful, that bastard is a huge picture. I couldnt save it locally to resize so I had to do a screen cap..
From this page: http://www.terraserver.com/special/katrina/katrina.asp

Follow-up Post:

Here is a much better site to check out that hi-res pic at:
http://hosted.ap.org/specials/intera...ite/index.html

They give a great overview picture showing the levee system and a stagering look at just how flooded the city is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rds_0833105.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	3714   Click image for larger version

Name:	no1.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	3716  

Click image for larger version

Name:	no2.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	64.8 KB
ID:	3717  

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 2nd, 2005, 02:17 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Wow... This whole thing is insane...

All I know is that I'm probably going to be buying most of my parts from George in the future because I'm sure he's lost some cash/stock/parts during this tragedy. When he comes back of course.

N

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 3rd, 2005, 10:54 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
I 2nd.
Advertisement

Old September 3rd, 2005, 02:30 PM
Roadsiderob
Robert Dassler
1994 D90
D-90 Source Vendor

Thumbs up

"9/3/2005 1:49pm present and accounted for, I have just spoken with his niece and he's ok as well as his family. I do not have any other details, yet."

This was just posted on RDS's web site...thank God!
Rob
Old September 3rd, 2005, 09:53 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Well, that's a load of relief. Now, time to start a parts list of 'need to buy', starting with the dash pieces that fell apart on me.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old September 4th, 2005, 11:43 AM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

Thank goodness.
Old September 4th, 2005, 06:12 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
woo hoo
Old September 4th, 2005, 08:21 PM
TwisteD90
Yousef Hamzeh
06 RR SC, 06 LR3, 94 D90

Great news. Glad he is ok
Old September 5th, 2005, 02:36 AM
Hoss
Jeff Sturgis
1995/D-90

George

I have lurked on this site since I purchased my 1995 D-90, and only posted here recently, but in light of George's situation and folks on this forum, I thought I would offer up an idea in case it has merit.

For disclosure purposes, I have never done business with George nor ever met the man. I have gleaned some information from some very knowledgeable posters on this board and have looked at RDS's web site long enough to know that George provides a valuable parts service for Rover enthusiasts. Many on this forum have referred those in search of parts to RDS, and that is the impetus for my post.

I think that the concept of "microrelief" efforts aimed at knitting together needy communities and individuals with counterparts outside of the New Orleans or affected area is a purposeful and meaningful way to help out in the recovery of this entire mess. Based on information that George has on his site, he is an indepenently owned and operated business (http://www.roversdownsouth.com/about.htm). Cash and cash flow is king in these type of disasters. I know that he has specific needs and knows he business better than anyone else, and I would propose to have those interested on the D-90 Source forum to stand ready to help him out if he needs short term cash flow. I am not talking helicopters or navy flotilla, but rather sending him $100 via PayPal or his preferred banking method. I would be willing to send him $100 now and know that at some point in the future I would like to do business with George.

I realize that this post is out of the blue, and I do not have 4,000 posts to demonstrate my seniority in this forum, but I offer the idea up simply because it is clear that George and his business is valued by members of this forum, and there is an infinite number of way we can help if we consider the possibilities.

As I mentioned at the outset, this may not even be something that George wants or needs, but if it is and he could use the help, I would be willing to step up for sending him money to help get his place back to doing business prior to Katrina. I noticed his site does not have PayPal as a preferred payment method, so there may be a better way to execute this assuming it is embraced.

If the idea stinks or is unnecessary, then I apologize in advance. If it is worthwhile, I hope he reads this post or someone that knows him and is willing to match the offer and forward it to him.

Thanks for hearing me out and hoping George and his family get back on their feet quickly.

Old September 6th, 2005, 10:59 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

I think that's a great idea, but after dumping about five bills total to the Red Cross and the Humane Society I really can't donate anymore. At least I'm honest.

BUT, George is going to get most of my business from this day forward, and hopefully he'll make more than $100 off me as the years go on.

That's all I can offer.

Nicholas Orros

Old September 7th, 2005, 12:49 AM
Hoss
Jeff Sturgis
1995/D-90

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros
I think that's a great idea, but after dumping about five bills total to the Red Cross and the Humane Society I really can't donate anymore. At least I'm honest.

BUT, George is going to get most of my business from this day forward, and hopefully he'll make more than $100 off me as the years go on.

That's all I can offer.

Nicholas Orros
Dumping five large ones is outstanding, and I certainly can understand and appreciate those that have already given, especially large amounts like you have. Thank you for your generosity.

George will definitely get a chunk of my business as well, with positive thoughts that he can get RDS back to full steam, even though it is going to burn more shipping expenses than I usually have from British Pacific. I just wanted to see if there were fellow D-90ers that would be able to help George out if he needed it.

Hat tip to you Nicholas, for digging deep for not only people but animals alike.

Cheers,

Hoss
Old September 7th, 2005, 01:37 AM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Conveniently, I just broke both side pieces on my dashboard..... or at least finished the destruction the previous owner started :-) Guess I need new ones! Oh, and new handles for the dash vents too.

-Hans

My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old September 7th, 2005, 07:07 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Thanks for the kind words... Sadly (but honestly) I wouldn't have put out that much money if it wasn't for my significant other... But I would have at the very least donated something.

Hope it all gets better, that VIDEO link of the cops rummaging through the walmart really disturbed me (but I thank Jason for posting it!!)

Nicholas

Old September 7th, 2005, 09:29 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

I'd be willing to packup and head to N.O. for a weekend to help George out with cleanup and such. It's only 8 hours from here.
As far as money and such, we're tapped out with donating to the shelters here in Austin. We hit Walgreens and filled a basket with toiletries for the 4,000 or so folks here in town. Tomorrow we'll be downtown sorting and distributing those supplies to the evacuees. Also, from talking with George in the past, he doesn't seem like the type that'd take any money from us anyways.

On that note, is it wrong to be upset that I didn't order that part I needed when I talked to him on the Thursday before the disaster? I couldn't find it anywhere else and now it's underwater.
Old September 7th, 2005, 09:42 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Tony,

I'd definitely be up for that... The only thing is that I have a friend and his 'black widow fiance' (long story) coming up from Largo (Tampa area-ish) on Friday. They are 'hit or miss' like 2 weeks ago when they were supposed to come up but didn't so I'm actually hoping they don't. If they don't I may be able to make it but I won't know until Thursday/Friday. I may actually call him and make him give me a positive and tell him why I need to know.

It's about a 5 hour-ish trip for me, maybe more in the D...

Good idea dude, please keep me updated if you're going and if anyone else is interested please post. I'd probably load the tent on the D and make a go of it, so if others wanted to join in I'm sure we could find a decent place to camp.

Nicholas

Old September 7th, 2005, 11:09 AM
Trigger
Tony Fannin
'94 D-90 #491

Quote:
Originally Posted by norros
Tony,

I'd definitely be up for that...

Good idea dude, please keep me updated if you're going and if anyone else is interested please post. I'd probably load the tent on the D and make a go of it, so if others wanted to join in I'm sure we could find a decent place to camp.
I don't know that this coming weekend would be possible. i.e. getting into town, if the area is 'dry', etc. Might have to wait a week or two before we could even get into town.
Old September 7th, 2005, 11:28 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I agree, I am sure there is going to be a flood of people trying to get back to thier places once an all clear is given. We should wait until we hear from George that he can get back to his shop.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old September 8th, 2005, 01:27 PM
JBurt
Jesse McCoy
'89 RRC SWB (needs work)

I'm with Chris, I talked to the Red Cross and they said they just don't have the infrastructure yet.
Old September 8th, 2005, 02:16 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Yeah, I think Chris is right too... Aside from that there's so much bacteria present there, especially in the 'waters' that I don't think we should even try until there's a green light.

So, if someone talks to George & finds out the situation in the near future please post so maybe we can set up a trip. If we do nothing else than maybe lift George's spirits a bit during this madness, that would still be a good thing.

Cheers,

Nicholas

Old September 8th, 2005, 03:19 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

I've never actually met George, but having spoken with him on several occassions, I can just imagine him sitting on the warehouse roof with a rifle.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat