Rover whisperer builds rover karma - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old July 6th, 2009, 08:20 PM
I have never seen a rover in person
Rover whisperer builds rover karma

So I saw a series rover on craigslist and, as I am want to do, I went to check it out. After talking to the guy on the phone he determined that I sold him a roofrack (I thought it was a different roof rack, but that is neither here nor there). Anyway, the truck did not run and based on the description it would be too much of a project for me, but I said I would stop by and check it out and help him get it running. After jumping the starter switch we got it to crank but still no spark (he had already replaced the coil and wire). I deduced that it was the link in the back of the voltage regulator on a hunch based on a previous dead rover I saved at a ROVERS club event in 2002 and that was it! Jumped the connection and on the first push of the button she came to life.

So karma comes around and it turns out he needs some stock radius arms for a disco so I sold him a set for $50 and he agreed to point the purchaser of the truck in my direction for series parts needed for the restoration.

It made my day. I love when old rovers come back to life.

*not legal advice*
Old July 7th, 2009, 06:32 AM
97 D90 ST / 1957 S1 109/ 1983 LS110
Thats a cool story Ron. Its sad to think about how many old rovers are rotting away in fields because of an undiagnosed "simple" fix.

Old July 7th, 2009, 06:59 AM
Jamie Austin
1992 110 Td5 CSW & 1989 MB G-Wagen
OVer here a few years back a friend of mine sold his turboD 90 for peanuts because "the gearbox is knackered"....

turns out he was shifting from low to high, and the piddly little metal link snapped just as he was in neutral

instead of investigating it, he sold the truck.

mind you, I wish i'd have know, i'd have given him peanuts too
Old December 5th, 2009, 04:24 PM
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team
Ok, so I don't claim to be the Rover Whisperer, but Friday was a good day for building Rover Karma. After loading up the 110 to take it over to the paint shop, I had to stop off and pick up my roof panel from my storage area. On the way back, I run into this chap named Matt who was experiencing some issues with the early 110 he had just picked up from the port earlier that day. The truck was turning over very weakly and wouldn't start. A jump start fired it right up, but the alternator and battery seemed quite new. I figured the best thing was to clean all the connections at the alternator and starter lugs since the truck had been sitting at the ports and been at sea for a while. So, Matt follows me back to my place and got to work on his rig while I ran off to drop the 110. Seems like everything went OK since he put the tools away and took off - hopefully he'll find his way over to this board and finish the story!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4611 - Resized.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	117.7 KB
ID:	23414   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF4612 - Resized.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	23415  

Old December 5th, 2009, 04:41 PM
1995 SW #487/500
Originally Posted by phoenix37
Thats a cool story Ron. Its sad to think about how many old rovers are rotting away in fields because of an undiagnosed "simple" fix.

Way to many. I know of a Classic and a IIa owned by the same person who are falling into the ground, he assures me hes gonna "get them fixed up".
Poor gas mileage gets you to the best places on earth

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat