rover motor heritage? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 2nd, 2006, 06:08 PM
GeoParth
George Parthmer
1995/d-90 #2715 yellowST

rover motor heritage?

Ok - I am going to have to admit that i dont know much about old motors. however, i have a friend that is into this kind of things and claims that the 3.9 motor that land rover has in the defenders is based on a circa 1950-1960-ish buick motor. i was wondering if the dude is just totally full of BS or if anyone has ever heard of this. it seems plausible, since a lot of the parts on the defender can be sourced elsewhere anywhere --- like the dodge oil filter, and stuff like that. just throwing that out there ...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2006, 06:15 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoParth
Ok - I am going to have to admit that i dont know much about old motors. however, i have a friend that is into this kind of things and claims that the 3.9 motor that land rover has in the defenders is based on a circa 1950-1960-ish buick motor. i was wondering if the dude is just totally full of BS or if anyone has ever heard of this. it seems plausible, since a lot of the parts on the defender can be sourced elsewhere anywhere --- like the dodge oil filter, and stuff like that. just throwing that out there ...

Ha, Ha, your buddy knows more about Rovers than you do

Seriously though, he is right. It is the old Buick 215. Land Rover or British Leland bought from Oldsmobile way back when and the rest is history. By knowing this bit of trivia you have now greatly expanded the number of resources for motor parts.

Kevin
Old April 2nd, 2006, 06:48 PM
mjekogian
Michael Jekogian
1997/ Defender ST

Registry
Is that still true of the 97 since it is the 4.0 under BMW owneship at that time?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2006, 06:51 PM
kellymoe
kevin
defender 130

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjekogian
Is that still true of the 97 since it is the 4.0 under BMW owneship at that time?
I think it is true up to the 4.6
Old April 2nd, 2006, 08:02 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Yep, that is fully true. Rover/Land Rover paid GM for the rights to use the design a long time back, well before the BMW or Ford ownerships. I think that Rover actually bought the design ownership outright, and not just licensed it.

The old rover 3.5 is almost a direct copy of the Buick 215 and most parts are compatible between both. The 3.9 and 4.2 are a slightly larger bore, but still uses most similar parts as the 215. Lots of guys here have used 215 Buick performance camshafts in their 3.9's.

The 4.0 and 4.6 are BASED on the the old Buick design, but was a major in-house update to the design that Land Rover did. It has a totally new oiling system, larger crank bearings, revised head bolt pattern, different crank shaft and a number of other updates to it. Very few parts on the 4.0/4.6 interchange with the 215 Buick.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 07:56 AM
GeoParth
George Parthmer
1995/d-90 #2715 yellowST

damn - now i guess i owe my buddy a 6-pack. i guess that will teach me to doubt the truely bizarre histroy of the rover!
Old April 3rd, 2006, 09:12 AM
smenzel
Sandro
1967 Series IIA

I heard the story from a slightly different point of view ...

Buick spent a fortune designing a light-weight, aluminum engine back in the mid- to late fifties. Everyone thought they were crazy for using something other than steel for their engine -- so much so that Buick thought they were getting a deal by selling off the engine (and engine production stuff) to Rover in the early sixties.

BTW, I'm fairly certain that it was Rover (the car company) that purchased the engine. In certain British car cicles, the engine is known as the Rover V8. This very engine has seen service is a number of British cars. Rovers and Triumphs (Stag, TR8) are the only ones that come to mind right at the moment. I'm sure there are others.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:13 AM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Also used in Morgans (+8 models) MGB-V-8 models and many English kit cars. The TR-8's used the Rover V-8 but the Stag used a SOHC V-8 that was basically two Saab 99 engines mated together in a common crankcase - terrible engine - run away if someone ever tries to sell you one of thes POS's.

Buick and Oldsmobile both had slightly different versions of this engine - I think the Olds version used different cylinder heads. Olds also produced a turbocharged version of the engine with a water/alchohol injection system to prevent detonation in the F-85 Cutlass. My parents had a 1963 F-85 Cutlass with the 4-barrel carb and Turbohydramatic automatic when I was 15 - neat little car but a leaking fuel pump caused it to self-immolate in a neighbors driveway. GM sold the aluminum version of the engine to Rover after deciding to discontinue it in their cars - they continued to build a cast iron version of this engine in the Buicks.

Rover was looking at trying to get a lighter more powerful engine than their 3.0 liter six for the P5 and upcoming P6 passenger cars - they heard the engine was being discontinued by GM so they bought it. GM had been trying to cast the block around the cylinder liners but Rover revised the manufacturing process and used inserted liners - much more accurate and less chance of a liner shifting. Rover redesigned the block in 1980 - adding stiffeners - in preparation for an aborted attempt at building a diesel version of the engine (called the Iceberg project). They couldn't get cylinder head gaskets to live long so they abandoned the iceberg but kept the strengthened block.

The 4.0/4.6 engines have four bolt mains with larger diameter main bearings and no distributor drive.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 10:28 AM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Is the 4.0 a four bolt main?
Old April 3rd, 2006, 11:35 AM
JackW
Jack Walter
1966 109 SW Diesel

Yes - 3.9/4.2 engines are just bored/stroked 3.5's

The 4.0/4.6 was an all new block with 4-bolt mains (2 from the bottom - one from each side) but more signifigant is the revised main bearing diameter and oil pump.
Old April 3rd, 2006, 03:11 PM
snuffer
Randy Black
'95 D 90 SW

Ok, gottcha, thanks Jack.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
motor