Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 27th, 2013, 05:54 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
I wonder if anyone will make a FOIA request when the dust has settled.
I think they'd still be protected as a CI.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2013, 05:56 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

I made it with a trackpad. Wish I had a stylus and Illustrator to do it in vector.
Old March 27th, 2013, 07:26 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKilo23 View Post
Whomever is tipping the Feds should be careful themselves...Karma is a bitch. Truth always comes out.
Which vendor has gone quiet here recently.....

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2013, 08:04 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Strangerover!!!!
Old March 27th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
I wish our borders were protected as well as our ports...
yeah but the ironic thing is they are less protected! Unless you're bringing in a LR....or drugs. Seems bringing in drugs would be a lesser offense.

------ Follow up post added March 27th, 2013 07:10 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Exactly.

------ Follow up post added March 27th, 2013 04:49 PM ------

He feels immune. Anyone wondering why ?

Maybe they are working their way north...you cant tell me he's not concerned...
Old March 27th, 2013, 08:54 PM
Jymmiejamz
Jimmy
1995 D90 SW #365

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertek View Post
Just got word another known rover shop in NC also was hit had all the proper documentation for vehicles but were confiscated anyway.... There seems to be a whistle blower

What shop?
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:04 PM
PTSchram
P. T. Schram
Down to only six!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jymmiejamz View Post
What shop?
LOL.

The same guy who did't get. Letter from LRNA about the name of his shop???

My only question, and this isn't meant to be critical of anyone, is, who holds the import bond for those trucks?

Somewhere there is an insurance company that's gonna have to pay out over the vehicles that were seized. Ultimately, they will subrogate, but for now, that insurance company is on the hook.

W/R/T chassis swaps, I am more than a little surprised that Julian said such actions were suspect given the common practice of doing so for rust issues, crash damage, etc. how hard is it to have a document notarized (or the UK equivalent) and have it recorded at the county recorder's office with an affidavit kinda like instrument cluster swaps?

Then again, my experience has been that the shipper won't accept a vehicle without a document of permanent export and the surrendered V-5
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:21 PM
triple9music
Chad Davis
1984 Defender 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Amazing how "300Tdi" is disappearing from so many profiles here. Do people seriously think the government is going to come after them for a post-import engine swap?

On another note, the sour grapes comments on that WCET story are remarkable. Who is posting this shit?
yeah that is funny, if they are going to go after 300Tdi owners, there's much easier records to access than here like registration and sales records.
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:43 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSchram View Post
LOL.

The same guy who did't get. Letter from LRNA about the name of his shop???

My only question, and this isn't meant to be critical of anyone, is, who holds the import bond for those trucks?

Somewhere there is an insurance company that's gonna have to pay out over the vehicles that were seized. Ultimately, they will subrogate, but for now, that insurance company is on the hook.

W/R/T chassis swaps, I am more than a little surprised that Julian said such actions were suspect given the common practice of doing so for rust issues, crash damage, etc. how hard is it to have a document notarized (or the UK equivalent) and have it recorded at the county recorder's office with an affidavit kinda like instrument cluster swaps?

Then again, my experience has been that the shipper won't accept a vehicle without a document of permanent export and the surrendered V-5
Certificates of perm export went away 5 plus years ago. A scan of the V5 and a bill of sale are all I require from a seller. Import bonds (when required) are paid in full to US Customs-there is no insurance company/3rd party involved. Julians statement on chassis were based on his conversation with the US Dept of Transportation not a UK agency.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:57 PM
PTSchram
P. T. Schram
Down to only six!

Quote:
Certificates of perm export went away 5 plus years ago. A scan of the V5 and a bill of sale are all I require from a seller..
LOL, tells you when I last imported a truck!

Quote:
Import bonds are paid in full to US Customs-there is no insurance company/3rd party involved. Julians statement on chassis were based on his conversation with the US Dept of Transportation not a UK agency.
I pay for my import bond through a third party insurance company specified by CBP/DHS/IRS, yadda yadda.

I doubt if any of the recently imported (last ten years or so) trucks I've owned, or worked on had the original chassis, and if they did, they'd either been replaced with replacement frame horns, or had been plated so many times that there was no chance of seeing the VIN on the chassis. I hope to blast the chassis on my Stage One soon to determine the true VIN.

I doubt the 110 we're working on now has visible VINs on the chassis, but given that it belongs to a retired USN Sailor and they wouldn't allow him to ship it to me with the 200 TDI it had been converted to, the 3.5 it has is correct for the vintage and I suspect we are safe.
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:17 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
PT are you importing as a business ie a commercial entry? On personal entries such as personal vehicles or parts there is no bond.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 27th, 2013, 10:22 PM
NoVaKevin
Kevin
sold#1469

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
A while back Feds were taking all the Nissan Skylines that had been imported. Now its the turn of this community.

Curious...where does this statement come from? I remember seeing a few articles...but nothing about all of the skylines in the united states that had been imported were being taken.

I agree with one thing..the rules are not consistently applied, at least it does not appear that way. But, odds are pretty good that we don't know the full details of a federal case.

Anyone wondering if this has to do with vin/chassis/engine/yada yada matching, or is there something else going on here?

Tax evasion maybe? What is the rule...when importing a vehicle...and declaring value? The feds are on this site in one way or another, as they are on fleabay and other sites. When the clearly link a rover declared for 5k value, for sale at 25k on ebay, they are probably not happy.

Or, is this linked to something else he is involved with?
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:31 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoVaKevin View Post
Curious...where does this statement come from? I remember seeing a few articles...but nothing about all of the skylines in the united states that had been imported were being taken.

I agree with one thing..the rules are not consistently applied, at least it does not appear that way. But, odds are pretty good that we don't know the full details of a federal case.

Anyone wondering if this has to do with vin/chassis/engine/yada yada matching, or is there something else going on here?

Tax evasion maybe? What is the rule...when importing a vehicle...and declaring value? The feds are on this site in one way or another, as they are on fleabay and other sites. When the clearly link a rover declared for 5k value, for sale at 25k on ebay, they are probably not happy.

Or, is this linked to something else he is involved with?
Import duty is based on what you pay for something/bill of sale from overseas, not what its worth once imported.
The Skyline thing is well documented.

Dividing Creek Imports

Old March 27th, 2013, 10:37 PM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Let's be entirely honest. We all knew it was coming it was only a matter of time, if you didn't see it coming you haven't been around the whole niche vehicle world for long. With all of the blatant re-VINS showing up on ebay and brazen advertisements for 1984 Puma spec trucks, some bya certain known dealer and board member's website that has now been emptied of all their ROW Defenders.

As for the Skyline's seizure. It was and is very real. A simple Google search will bring up an litany of information. Just a preview of what is likely (and I hope I'm wrong) to come for traceable grey market Defenders.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/29/w...issan-skyline/

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/bre...ne-owners.html

http://wot.motortrend.com/feds-begin...#axzz2OnVDYDRu

This is real, and it's been a long time coming. Again, I think it would be smart of these niche communities to come together to get some real legal clout and see if some changes can be made into the US's asinine import laws.
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:42 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Did my NAS v8 just go up in value?
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:52 PM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Skylines are a bit different because someone actually got one type (newer than 25 years old) approved for import but then imported a bunch of similar models which the .gov then decided were not similar enough. Those got seized.
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:57 PM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
It actually mentions the 25 year rule in the first article.
Quote:
Originally Posted by madcowdungbeetle View Post
Let's be entirely honest. We all knew it was coming it was only a matter of time, if you didn't see it coming you haven't been around the whole niche vehicle world for long. With all of the blatant re-VINS showing up on ebay and brazen advertisements for 1984 Puma spec trucks, some bya certain known dealer and board member's website that has now been emptied of all their ROW Defenders.

As for the Skyline's seizure. It was and is very real. A simple Google search will bring up an litany of information. Just a preview of what is likely (and I hope I'm wrong) to come for traceable grey market Defenders.

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/05/29/w...issan-skyline/

http://www.nicoclub.com/archives/bre...ne-owners.html

http://wot.motortrend.com/feds-begin...#axzz2OnVDYDRu

This is real, and it's been a long time coming. Again, I think it would be smart of these niche communities to come together to get some real legal clout and see if some changes can be made into the US's asinine import laws.
Old March 27th, 2013, 11:05 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Quote:
Just a preview of what is likely (and I hope I'm wrong) to come for traceable grey market Defenders.
I seems to me that the majority of imported defenders are legit so a bit different than the skyline crowd.
Old March 27th, 2013, 11:08 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
The idiots hauling Aarons trucks off don't know the difference between my NAS truck and his ROW trucks.
Old March 27th, 2013, 11:08 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
Quote:

I am not so sure... for example, if someone imported a grey market truck, then sold it, someone else bought it... now they have a (legit, non VIN-swap) 1984 110. If it has a new galvy chassis, how do you prove that was done before import? Are there domestic laws that state I can't put a new chassis on a truck? Is it different by state, and therefore not even a federal issue? The burden of proof is on the government that the truck is illegal.

I won't defend morons who tried bringing in 2012 Pumas as 80's era trucks. But someone who really does have a 25 year truck and then replaces the frame or other parts has a lot less to worry about in my non-legal opinion.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat