Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 27th, 2013, 09:21 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertek View Post
Just got word another known rover shop in NC also was hit had all the proper documentation for vehicles but were confiscated anyway.... There seems to be a whistle blower
Maybe the same group of lawyers that lead the charge to change all the small shops' use of "Rover". You do not want these old Defenders tarnishing the image of the new RR or RRS and the Land Rover name, do you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2013, 09:24 AM
waveridin1959
Brian Jones
1995 D-90 ST #2892

Registry
The government doesn't want us rebuilding old trucks. We need to buy the new Chrysler products.

“Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together… mass hysteria!”
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:28 AM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
Maybe the same group of lawyers that lead the charge to change all the small shops' use of "Rover". You do not want these old Defenders tarnishing the image of the new RR or RRS and the Land Rover name, do you?
unfortunate but 90% of new RR RRS LR3 Evo owners will park next to you, drive by you and have no clue what your defender is and not care anyway. By tarnish do you mean rust? Ha Ha.
Advertisement

Old March 27th, 2013, 09:29 AM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Red110 View Post
Thanks Chad. My wife is in Wilmington right now, and will call the customs office in the morning to get some answers. She already wrote an email to WECT to give them more info for their news story. Im so pissed right now that this is happening and Im on the other side of the planet. Really Im still in shock right now and am not quite sure what to do. I hope the trucks havent already been taken to the DHS office in Raleigh.

The NAS style rear bumper that CDeWan just had fabricated for me is currently en route to GB4x4 as well. I dont know if anyone will even be there to receive it.

This may turn into a giant fiasco. A giant, and expensive fiasco.

------ Follow up post added March 27th, 2013 10:19 AM ------

Think they will have a problem with the fact that its a 300tdi and that Sals is now a D1?
Very well could be...I'd get a lawyer involved. Did you buy the truck thru him with the 300tdi in when it was imported or install it after it got here?
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:31 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rover4x4 View Post
Im not sure I follow. There are people doing far worse things in the automotive community than "rebuilding" Land Rovers.
Agree - plus Land Rover guys will use Land Rover parts almost to a fault. I think the worst I have seen is some people putting in 4BTs. Adding discs to a Sals rear end, replacing a snotty chassis with a galvy one, going from RHD to LHD, adding seatbelts and better seats/interior seem like way safer upgrades.

You have to ask - who stands to make some money out of this witch hunt?

------ Follow up post added March 27th, 2013 09:33 AM ------

Quote:
Hey guys,

So I wake up this morning in Iraq, go into work, and see that my wife emailed me the link to the local news story that ran in Wilmington. What do I see?? MY red 110 on the back of a flatbed truck being taken away by the feds. I had been having some work done to it by Aaron and his guys, so it was sitting on his lot with the rest of his trucks.

I come home on R&R in two weeks, and I wont likely have my truck available to me like I was expecting. WTF!?!?
BTW - Red - hope things get cleared up for you and you get your truck back. Definitely get a lawyer just to make sure.
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:34 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Quote:
Agree - plus Land Rover guys will use Land Rover parts almost to a fault. I think the worst I have seen is some people putting in 4BTs. Adding discs to a Sals rear end, replacing a snotty chassis with a galvy one, going from RHD to LHD, adding seatbelts and better seats/interior seem like way safer upgrades.

You have to ask - who stands to make some money out of this witch hunt?

------ Follow up post added March 27th, 2013 09:33 AM ------

BTW - Red - hope things get cleared up for you and you get your truck back. Definitely get a lawyer just to make sure.
No one, your tax dollars hard at work.
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:36 AM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
Very well could be...I'd get a lawyer involved. Did you buy the truck thru him with the 300tdi in when it was imported or install it after it got here?

The truck had the 300 in it when I bought it from the used car lot in town that he sells through.
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:36 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
unfortunate but 90% of new RR RRS LR3 Evo owners will park next to you, drive by you and have no clue what your defender is and not care anyway. By tarnish do you mean rust? Ha Ha.
Haha - so true. But then again why would LRNA care about a few small shops carrying parts for those old rigs and just using part of their name in?
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:39 AM
ranewman
Rick Newman
85 Defender 110

Quote:
Kinda late for that...ya think?
97 Disco SD "Emma" (250k and going strong)
95 P38 "Gus" RIP
99 P38 Callaway Edition #106 RIP
85 Defender 110 2.5NA "Margret"
01 D2 SE7 "Cuzn It" (blown up POS)
03 D2 SE "Fred"
Hoarder of 2.5 NAD parts
"In God we trust. Everyone else keep their fucking hands where they can be seen."
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:45 AM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
None of you know what happened or why. It does make for lively conversation tho...

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:47 AM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

nevermind
Old March 27th, 2013, 09:50 AM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
The truck had the 300 in it when I bought it from the used car lot in town that he sells through.
So he imported it? Lawyer up, and get the facts straight from the DHS/CBP. They can dig to see if the paperwork is correct and if it came in with a 300tdi, that could be a issue....

------ Follow up post added March 27th, 2013 08:54 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by o2batsea View Post
None of you know what happened or why. It does make for lively conversation tho...
Its obvious what happened, the why is what's not clear...
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:02 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Just a bit of sage advice. This is an internet forum and is followed by others than just we enthusiasts. One of the vendors on this site is known to have dropped a dime on most of the other vendors on the site especially those involved with imports and is largely behind recent events. Posting things like "I have a 300 tdi engine"....
Well you figure it out

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:09 AM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have known Aaron for years, he is a good guy and I hate to hear about this happening.
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:19 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
I'm too hung over to read all of the comments, but Aaron has been the go-to guy for years now for people looking to get into Defenders on the cheap. All of the trucks I've seen from him have smelled and looked like 25+ year old trucks with some newer paint and fun stickers. He's upped his game to nicer builds in the past year or two, and I have a feeling it's one or two of those nicer trucks that has the fed's panties in a bundle. Hate to see stuff like this happen to one of our own.
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMac View Post
I understand rules are rules but damn, doesn't the government have anything better to do than police up a few Rovers? We have a sieve for a southern border, murders go uninvestigated in Detroit, and we are trillions in debt yet they go after the "hard core" criminal who would dare make a mockery of the 25 year rule? Heaven forbid we focus our combat power on the crap that actually matters......
Obama hates England? lol
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:37 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Just a bit of sage advice. This is an internet forum and is followed by others than just we enthusiasts. One of the vendors on this site is known to have dropped a dime on most of the other vendors on the site especially those involved with imports and is largely behind recent events. Posting things like "I have a 300 tdi engine"....
Well you figure it out
X2 with respect to anyone can read shit on the Internet.
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:48 AM
slorocco
Dan Prasada-Rao
1963, 109 Station Wagon

Quote:
I think the worst I have seen is some people putting in 4BTs
HEY! Easy there sport I'm pretty fond of my 4BT
Old March 27th, 2013, 10:49 AM
Willh
Will Hedrick
Use to own NAS #96, #1778, & #1008

Registry
I am just finding out this morning about what is going on. Like the rest of you, I'm not sure what charges are being pressed against Aaron. But, I must say that I have to agree with Ian with regards to the import question, at least from the US Federal standpoint. With all the legal discussion going back and forth, for what it's worth, I thought I might direct you all to my earlier post in a separate thread. I hope it may shed some light on what might be happening:

http://www.defendersource.com/forum/...9&postcount=46

(Excerpt copied from post below)

-------------------------------

"There are two separate violations that happen, 1) FMVSS, & 2) EPA.

First, see below:

"Title 49 United States Code

Chapter 301 Motor Vehicle Safety (FMVSS)

Sec. 30165. Civil penalty
PENALTY A person that violates any of sections 30112, 30115, 30117-30122, 30123(d), 30125(c), 30127, 30141-30147, or 30166 of this title or a regulation prescribed under any of those sections is liable to the United States Government for a civil penalty of not more than $1,000 for each violation. A separate violation occurs for each motor vehicle or item of motor vehicle equipment and for each failure or refusal to allow or perform an act required by any of those sections. The maximum penalty under this subsection for a related series of violations is $800,000."

So, read as each non-compliant component of the vehicle is or may be considered a separate violation. Add-up all of the non-compliant components on an imported vehicle not entering the US under an exemption (e.g., 25 year rule), and your tab will be considerably more than $1K.

Also, when EPA or CBP (I.e., US Customs and Border Protection) determines that imported motor vehicles do not meet the EPA emissions certification requirements, CBP detains or seizes the motor vehicles. EPA then contacts the importer to address the Clean Air Act violations. The statutory maximum penalty under the Act is $32,500 for each illegal motor vehicle, although penalties may be reduced for first-time violators and for importers who disclose and remedy the violation and all prior violations. CBP or EPA may also initiate a criminal action against an importer who knowingly makes false or fraudulent statements, or who omits material information required in CBP entry documents. Persons who commit these crimes are subject to a fine of up to $250,000 or imprisonment for up to two years, or both (I.e., it's a felony)(see 42 U.S.C. 7413(c)(2)).

And importing a PUMA as a late '80's model Defender doesn't cut it either, because the 25 year exemption rule only applies to components originally manufactured for that particular model year in that particular vehicle. PUMA's were not being installed in those model years, so a late '80's model Defender with a PUMA fitted, is just as illegal as if it were being imported as a 2013 Defender (which as we all know, it probably is). And by calling it something other than what it is, you are back to committing a felony.

So, it goes without saying, illegally importing a non-compliant motor vehicle is no joke. The truth is that there are some hefty consequences that can be levied against you should you decide to "take your chances". Let me be clear, I'm not casting judgment on anyone. I'm just merely stating what the law is."

----------------------------------

Please feel free to visit my website at:

Quote:
Willh is the F'n man! Defender of the Defenders! - Overlander
Old March 27th, 2013, 11:04 AM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
My 2 cents on this. If the Feds are wanting to go MotoreX on the US Defender community, then this site is their laundry list and we've done their homework for them. If you have any ROW type truck that has come through the ports in any configuration they deem to be less than "original" when it came in even if it's their own fault for lack of doing their own homework at the ports, and it's documented on this site or another then I would probably consider yourself in the cross hairs. They will seize now, ask questions later, and unless you have the funds and will to fight, you won't get your truck back. Just ask any of the former Skyline owners who purchased their vehicles through what they thought were legal means and are now out a vehicle, a lot of cash, and have paid some hefty fines. I really would like to be wrong in my assertion, but if the truck is grey in anyway and there can be some sort of documented proof shown, I'd be concerned.

Now what would be smart, is for the vehicle communities, Rover, Honda, Nissan, Toyota, VW, etc... to join forces and begin petitioning for changes in the import laws through some body like the SEMA action network.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat