Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 7th, 2013, 12:24 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
Sadly for Red I'm guessing it doesn't work like that...when you're securing what could be evidence you secure it all and then sort it out later. (Remarkably like TTPs several of us have used, overseas).

To look at it from their perspective, what you don't want to do is loiter on the objective determining who owns what, and potentially releasing something from the chain of custody that you may find you wanted later. When you've got broad authorities its safer to take everything you think may be relevant and work from there back.
When you put it like that I felt the tiniest little sliver of guilt... but then it went away

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 7th, 2013, 12:29 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

Yeah, I get that part of it. Take it all then sort it but you would think he could go to them and show proof of ownership and retrieve his personal property.
Old April 7th, 2013, 12:42 PM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave_lucas View Post
Yeah, I get that part of it. Take it all then sort it but you would think he could go to them and show proof of ownership and retrieve his personal property.
Not knowing where he's at with this, I'd imagine that's the case-once the vehicle has been cleared from the investigatory aspects of the case...but that's not going to necessarily be a quick flash to bang, unfortunately for him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 9th, 2013, 01:17 PM
terreneuve
John
1997 D90

There is a dealer in Montreal, Quebec that has been selling 1997 Alfa Romeos and MG F's to the US for the past two years. Have a look at his latest listing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MG-19...item43ba9ea257

These cars should not be admissable to th US either but he is using a Registered Importer in Vermont and is having no problems getting the vehcles into the US.

Is there a loophole that th RI in Vemont has found??

It makes no sense how these guys are getting away with it and your Government is seizing Land Rovers in the south!
Old April 9th, 2013, 01:31 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Someone else was caught driving vehicles across the border using dealer plates ...

http://forums.nicoclub.com/sentencin...r-t554465.html
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old August 29th, 2013, 05:39 PM
Mamba
Richard
'65 109 Dormobile

Registry
It has been a few months since the Rover bust in NC. Anyone know the outcome for Aaron?
Old August 30th, 2013, 05:13 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

The Feds will take their own sweet time.

I would like to hear from 85red110 and his situation.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 9th, 2014, 08:17 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Rover bust in NC???

Been a year now since this vehicle taking went down.

Anyone heard an update?

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old April 9th, 2014, 08:23 PM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Not....a....god....damn.....thing. Im about five seconds from getting a lawyer to take on the feds, even though I can't afford one.
Old April 9th, 2014, 08:32 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85Red110 View Post
Not....a....god....damn.....thing. Im about five seconds from getting a lawyer to take on the feds, even though I can't afford one.
FWIW I spoke with the top guy holding your truck @ Va Beach. I was working with him to export three seized trucks last fall and he mentioned he had an active duty serviceman's truck who was oversea's taken in the raid in NC. He felt bad about it.
If you want, shoot me an email and I'll provide his email and phone number. He's the officer in charge of Fine's Forfeitures and Penalties @ Norfolk, can't hurt to reach out to him.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old April 9th, 2014, 08:37 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Quote:
What a raw effing deal. Have you contacted your local representative? Oversight is part of their lane. -Dave

Old April 9th, 2014, 08:39 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
FWIW I spoke with the top guy holding your truck @ Va Beach. I was working with him to export three seized trucks last fall and he mentioned he had an active duty serviceman's truck who was oversea's taken in the raid in NC. He felt bad about it.
If you want, shoot me an email and I'll provide his email and phone number. He's the officer in charge of Fine's Forfeitures and Penalties @ Norfolk, can't hurt to reach out to him.
Old April 9th, 2014, 08:45 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
For whatever is worth, someone we trust a LOT, saw your truck when was looking at his truck ( seized ) and it was in good condition as of August last year.

The facility maintain the vehicles while in Custody, everyone in there are TOP NOTCH, from the CBP Officer Doug mentioned, to the Owner of the facility, they have to pull up with a real asshole all lawyered up and then some.

Actually Doug got a line like " Yes Mr. XYZ is a real piece of work "
Old April 9th, 2014, 09:47 PM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
What a raw effing deal. Have you contacted your local representative? Oversight is part of their lane. -Dave
Yes. I wrote a 7 page letter to Congressman Mike McIntyre (NC), who promptly responded with a really terrible excuse that sounded something like "this is a judicial matter and I cannot interfere, being a member of the executive branch", or something along those lines. I think its total BS and he was just blowing me off, considering McIntyre has announced he will not seek reelection this year...
Old April 9th, 2014, 09:57 PM
85Red110
Kent
1985 110 3-door

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
For whatever is worth, someone we trust a LOT, saw your truck when was looking at his truck ( seized ) and it was in good condition as of August last year.

The facility maintain the vehicles while in Custody, everyone in there are TOP NOTCH, from the CBP Officer Doug mentioned, to the Owner of the facility, they have to pull up with a real asshole all lawyered up and then some.

Actually Doug got a line like " Yes Mr. XYZ is a real piece of work "
Thats good to hear. All this time Ive been worried that I would have to go retrieve my truck in Va Beach only to find that its been neglected and won't drive out of there. Would have broken my heart to find it in disrepair after DrAaron had the truck for a whole year while I was in Iraq, and his guys did many thousands of dollars of work to it to get it running like a champ, finishing that work just days before it was seized...
Old April 9th, 2014, 10:17 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Thats good to hear. All this time Ive been worried that I would have to go retrieve my truck in Va Beach only to find that its been neglected and won't drive out of there. Would have broken my heart to find it in disrepair after DrAaron had the truck for a whole year while I was in Iraq, and his guys did many thousands of dollars of work to it to get it running like a champ, finishing that work just days before it was seized...
The trucks are stored inside a warehouse and are started periodically. I have some advice for you on how to proceed when we speak after Uwharrie.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old April 9th, 2014, 10:30 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
I was just curious if you had tried the Dept. of Veterans Affairs.. don't they have legal assistance?
Old April 9th, 2014, 10:40 PM
BlackField
Oscar
D110

I'm guessing Kent has already had JAG all over this, well as far as they could go anyway.
Old April 9th, 2014, 10:51 PM
cbfritz_03
Carmen
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackField View Post
I'm guessing Kent has already had JAG all over this, well as far as they could go anyway.
I am new here and haven't made my way through this entire thread but whenever I hear of a serviceman that has to deal with this kind of federal red tape bs.. I get kinda pissy. It can be really frustrating. I'm an advocate and have a soft spot for veterans.. worked with them quite a bit; mainly social work and health related issues. The powers that be expect you to give up and go away...you just don't. Keep trying.
Old April 10th, 2014, 07:15 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
So a year later, what is this all about? Aaron has gone on to helping build $100K trucks and Kent is still out in the cold!

-Jeff
I was not going to bring it up but I was thinking something similar. What about actions against the importer/ site where the truck was when taken?

Red110, you list Va as location (but, I am guessing stationed in NC?). Have you tried with someone like Connolly or Moran? They have been there long enough to carry a little more weight and the likelihood of assistance is probably better, I would think.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat