Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 2nd, 2013, 06:51 AM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Maybe you are not 12 fucking years old but you sure are acting like one

Long time ago I have learned that it takes a man to stand up to a man and a child to do the same when the opponent is down

BTW, don't ask me to pm you, as what I am saying here it is not different that what I will tell you In person
Of course you would...yawn.

I'm not kicking Aaron's back in when he's down. He knows full well how I feel about him and I've never beaten about the bush with regards to how I felt about his bullshit. You can wax philosophical and quote fortune cookies from your keyboard all day long.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2013, 07:48 AM
usadventureracing
Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Are you the guy that bought the cheap import truck and then got pissed off when you discovered that it was a cheap import truck?

I am probably the one you are speaking of. Yes, it was cheap, but the issue is that I was lied too when I asked him specific questions about the condition. In fact he said this truck was so clean and he was driving it for 3 months prior to my purchase, when in fact there was no way this could have been driven with the conditiond the carbs were in.

Did I learn a lesson, yes, but at the time I was new to Defenders and I joined D90 to learn and find a "good importer". At the time the Dr. got many praises on the board, so you would think that this small community would be less prone to ripping someone off (I guess I was wrong).

The post that was deleted about the Dr. should have never been deleted as this is what we as a community should be communicating to its members and watching out for.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:00 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastair View Post
Of course you would...yawn.

I'm not kicking Aaron's back in when he's down. He knows full well how I feel about him and I've never beaten about the bush with regards to how I felt about his bullshit. You can wax philosophical and quote fortune cookies from your keyboard all day long.

Then again Cowboy, go tell Aaron in person how you feel, and keep it between you two, not airing the dirty laundry like a little girl, specially from the past.

We don't about your story, if you bought a POS and expected a PUMA, and when you did not get it, you cried, came here looking for allies. etc.

no no ..I don't wax philosophical. but I give you this, History and those who made it , always taught me something, and Abraham Lincoln, must have been a visionary , thinking that one day, you will be in the world, and created this statement, so applicable to you

" Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt "

Abraham Lincoln
Advertisement

Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:07 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by usadventureracing View Post
I am probably the one you are speaking of. Yes, it was cheap, but the issue is that I was lied too when I asked him specific questions about the condition. In fact he said this truck was so clean and he was driving it for 3 months prior to my purchase, when in fact there was no way this could have been driven with the conditiond the carbs were in.

Did I learn a lesson, yes, but at the time I was new to Defenders and I joined D90 to learn and find a "good importer". At the time the Dr. got many praises on the board, so you would think that this small community would be less prone to ripping someone off (I guess I was wrong).

The post that was deleted about the Dr. should have never been deleted as this is what we as a community should be communicating to its members and watching out for.
Yeah I'm dealing with a similar situation...(not passing judgment on the Dr.) 6k additional on top of a 7500k purchase from a D90 salesman...(not my RRC) I will RUN the other way next time, D90 Source or not. Good Advice and a bunch of good guys, but lots of idiot wolfs in sheep's clothing. Buyer beware!
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:18 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Then again Cowboy, go tell Aaron in person how you feel, and keep it between you two, not airing the dirty laundry like a little girl, specially from the past.
Dont know about you but I think that reviews of trucks bought and the condition of them should be put out there, especially on a board that is all about Defenders. Ive had a less than 'as promised' dealing with him but walked away and was only out the few hours it took to drive out there. The D90 I was looking at was a $16k pile (that someone else bought, sight unseen, and was up on eBay a month later using the same photos).

Horror stories, as well as success stories, should be welcomed. They shouldnt be shouted down. People, like myself, come to this board looking to research and find LRs for sale. To pretend that everything is rainbows and unicorns with an importer is to mislead people. Perspective buyers should know what they are getting into, both positives and negatives, before they consider a purchase.

Before I get shouted down, I am not piling on Aaron either.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:42 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I believe its on us as individual buyers to weed out the bad sellers. I don't know about creating a Black/White list. Folks need to do their own home work and not copy from one another. It's like anything else going back to grade school. Tutoring is ok copying is not!

There is a vast amount of information here...use it and do the homework. Cheats beware you will be made known here. If not by post it will be made by PM. There is a layered sub-network here as everywhere...
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:48 AM
Howski
Kevin
2002 Land Rover Discovery II

Registry
Since everyone is sharing their experiences, I suppose I'll share mine. I traded Aaron my D2 in August for a 90. It was a bare bones truck that needed some TLC on the interior which he made clear from the get-go. The frame is solid as he had stated and it's run excellent with no issues at all. The condition of the truck was accurately represented and I've been very happy with my purchase
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:49 AM
tomaco1
T.mac
83 110

Registry
I wonder why the other thread was deleted? As mentioned, it contained info a lot of people on here search for, probably the first thing they search for.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 08:54 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomaco1 View Post
I wonder why the other thread was deleted? As mentioned, it contained info a lot of people on here search for, probably the first thing they search for.
I wondered the same...before my time. The senior post guys hold that information and have always been open to inquiries.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 09:13 AM
usadventureracing
Brett

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson View Post
I believe its on us as individual buyers to weed out the bad sellers. I don't know about creating a Black/White list. Folks need to do their own home work and not copy from one another. It's like anything else going back to grade school. Tutoring is ok copying is not!

There is a vast amount of information here...use it and do the homework. Cheats beware you will be made known here. If not by post it will be made by PM. There is a layered sub-network here as everywhere...

We could start a positive/negative comment thread for experiences with purchases (parts and trucks). I use ebays all the time and it has stopped me from purchasing from sellers.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:01 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
Dont know about you but I think that reviews of trucks bought and the condition of them should be put out there, especially on a board that is all about Defenders. Ive had a less than 'as promised' dealing with him but walked away and was only out the few hours it took to drive out there. The D90 I was looking at was a $16k pile (that someone else bought, sight unseen, and was up on eBay a month later using the same photos).

Horror stories, as well as success stories, should be welcomed. They shouldnt be shouted down. People, like myself, come to this board looking to research and find LRs for sale. To pretend that everything is rainbows and unicorns with an importer is to mislead people. Perspective buyers should know what they are getting into, both positives and negatives, before they consider a purchase.

Before I get shouted down, I am not piling on Aaron either.

Well, I thought my point was clear on my statement, but I re-iterate , no I don't care about a cry in the aftermath, and some have cryed after they saw the unit and chose to take delivery anyway.

A member here bought a truck from Aaron, was an ebay truck, always the pics on ebay show the item a little nicer than real life.

When he was in front of the truck, he analysed it, thought of walking away, but at the end, he bought it, and now that truck is one bad ass truck that doesn't resemble the original at all.

I have bought a very expensive italian toy , did it over the net, had the car delivered, and upon arrival, it had few things not disclosed, was it the salesman fault I did not go in person to inspect? ABSOLUTELY NOT, but instead of trashing them in a forum, I put the car back on a truck, ship it back to them, and upon arrival of the unit, I was standing in front of them demanding a remedy.

At the end we were all happy ( at least I was ) as I came home with a copy of the Wire x-fer to my account.

Want to know the best part, the next toy I bought to replace that one, I bought it from the same dealer.

In essence, it is not what the issue could be, it is how you go about it and your search of the remedy.

Of course putting duct tape and spray painting on top and claiming ignorance shows the character of the individual, and very little for you to do other than to sue them.

It appears to be a great number of legal experts on these threads, perhaps a re-visit of the fundamental statement on a Bill of Sale stating the sales is AS-IS / WHERE IS will be in place.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:25 AM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Fact is that I posted a negative thread about Aaron years back. That he LIED about rust, mechanical and cosmetic issues. His mechanic did half-assed work.

He did this to a few members on this board, then leaned on the forum owners to get the thread deleted.

Karma is a bitch
Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:29 AM
Viggen
Jarrod
none

Quote:
Well, I thought my point was clear on my statement, but I re-iterate , no I don't care about a cry in the aftermath, and some have cryed after they saw the unit and chose to take delivery anyway.

A member here bought a truck from Aaron, was an ebay truck, always the pics on ebay show the item a little nicer than real life.

When he was in front of the truck, he analysed it, thought of walking away, but at the end, he bought it, and now that truck is one bad ass truck that doesn't resemble the original at all.

I have bought a very expensive italian toy , did it over the net, had the car delivered, and upon arrival, it had few things not disclosed, was it the salesman fault I did not go in person to inspect? ABSOLUTELY NOT, but instead of trashing them in a forum, I put the car back on a truck, ship it back to them, and upon arrival of the unit, I was standing in front of them demanding a remedy.

You are talking to someone who made a living for over a decade working on MGs and Triumphs. I know that something old, especially something old and British, is not going to be an easy thing. And, as I stated and you referenced above, I am not here to pile on Aaron at all. He was a nice enough guy and showed up (very late) to the little used car dealer used to front his business. I saw the 90, inspected it, was very, very disappointed by its condition (not at all what was told of me) for the price, and drove away. I was out one day of work and about $70 in gas.

The person should inspect and never buy sight unseen. Never. Even more so with something British. I bought my BJ60 based on owners description and photos sent to me. Flew from BWI down to New Orleans to get it and drive it back. Owner promised that he would pick me up at the airport and if I did not like it, HE would fund the return ticket. I showed up and it was better than promised. I gladly handed over my money and drove away. My first introduction to the truck was an 1100 mile trip. Point of this story? Good, full disclosure seller, a great truck (which was a Canadian import, by the way), and a buyer ready to walk away if need be. Like your "very expensive Italian toy," the new owner needs to be able to go and fully inspect and then walk away. There is at least one story where the owner inspected, drove away and on the way home, the truck caught fire. I believe that no recompense was offered. Just as you shared a story about a "very expensive Italian toy" (like price matters) and the efforts you went through to rectify the situation, these few people who have posted, are doing the same thing. Difference? You reached a suitable arrangement over your situation when your "toy" showed up and was not as described and these posters, well, seemingly have not. I find your statement about 'AS-IS' to be ironic. If you were a true believer in 'AS-IS,' your story would have been quite different. The dealer would not have taken it back and you would have been stuck with it. Does this sound a little like what is being recalled in this thread? Just a little? Again, the difference is you had a seller amenable to finding a suitable solution. It seems these posters have had no such experience. I am sure if they had, you would not hear much from them. A bit sanctimonious in your attitude if you ask me.

If the purchaser shows up, sees the truck and still leaves with it, thats their problem. I agree that they are dumb for doing so. I do not, however, believe that they should not be allowed to at least share their experience with a broader audience in the interests of education. I have not shared my non purchase story because there are (or at least, were) enough stories of bad experiences that I did not feel the need to. Stories, good and bad, enlighten future purchasers allowing them to make better informed decisions. Stories should not be omitted because they show bad things. Stories all serve a purpose, whether or not you agree with the poster or not. Just like the story about your "very expensive Italian toy."
Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:38 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Goose nailed it. If you buy a truck without inspecting it in person and relying on the opinion of a salesman, that's on you. It's a risk you're taking, in hopes of getting a good deal. The bulk of the trucks being sold here now are 25+ year imports. These are 25 year-old trucks being imported from a country legendary for it's crap weather and poor customer service. Most of them are being bought for around $15-20K. What, exactly, are you expecting? It's going to be rough. It's going to be a money pit. All Defenders are. You know what kind of NAS truck you'll get for $15K, so why expect something better for an import?

These are not "investments" and old Defenders are not (yet) a poor man's game. You're going to have to spend cash and sweat if you want something nice. Don't go over your budget. If you're buying a mid-80s truck from the UK, you might as well budget $10K for a new galvy frame and bulkhead repairs. If it turns out that your frame is fine, you got lucky and your truck is the exception to the rule.

Coming here and trashing a vendor over a sight-unseen import truck purchase that you didn't do sufficient due diligence on just doesn't fly with most of the folks here.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:45 AM
Naplm00
Matthew

Chris,

Totally agree with you. Fact is that the guy has a history of shady dealing that have been erased. How are new buyers and people supposed to know when dealing with him?

When he told me there was little to no rust except for the doors he outright lied. Same thing about "driving the truck eveyday for three months" just wasnt true. I could go on for pages with these...

These untruths need to be known to a wider audience, beyond the people that got bitten.

Having a bunch of guys on this board sing his parises while dismissing multiple accounts of him being a liar is unfair to prosepective customers and other members of this board.

Even more so when he got the mods to delete the old thread
Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:48 AM
malaD90
Paul
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Car salesmen should not get a pass just because they are car salesmen. I prefer to hear if there are issues with vehicles not being as advertised. I certainly do not trust car salesmen, but would be looking for one that is more honest than most. I value hearing about good and bad experiences with sellers. I would likely dismiss the opinion of one bad experience, but not if there are several associated with one seller.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:49 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

This is what I think of when people complain that a car salesman lied to them.

Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:50 AM
Naplm00
Matthew

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Most of them are being bought for around $15-20K. What, exactly, are you expecting? It's going to be rough. It's going to be a money pit.

People are expecting what they have been promised. Aaron had a history of not delivering on these promises or just lying.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:59 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Naplm00 View Post
People are expecting what they have been promised. Aaron had a history of not delivering on these promises or just lying.
How much did you pay for your truck? What year? Can you post some pics? Did you do any pre-purchase inspection at all?
Old April 2nd, 2013, 10:59 AM
Naplm00
Matthew

I found some old pics.

Being a new buyer and new to LRs. I spoke to a few people about rust prone areas. They told me to check the bulkheads and footwells as well as places along the frame. So i did, and it looked good to the untrained eye.

What I found a few months later... The drywall screws that were painted and covered in sealint had rusted out and let the homedepot sheetmetal rattle bit. I ended up pulling it away and found the true extent of the rust that had been recently covered in anti-rust asphalt from below the truck.

The piece of sheetmetal still had the barcaode on the backside.

I had no idea that these werent the original footwells when they were in place. They were painted to match and had the double wall

ended up cutting it all out and replacing the footwells. On a truck that had little to no rust and only needed doors

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat