Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 30th, 2013, 09:54 AM
jcb-memphis
Jeff B.
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1971Series88 View Post

I am sure that is wrong...as the 300tdi does not pass any emissions tests - if true then the same could be said for Td5 etc.

This stuff gets so muddy - and everyone has an opinion that clouds the actual facts.

I think LR (or Ford?) federalized the 300 tdi at great cost, but never ended up using it.

Have heard this on 'net sites. Anyone have hard data?

Jeff
110 hybrid (from a 90) NAS Defender "Oates" #1597
2002 D2 SE "Very Disco" (sold)
1993 RRC LWB "The Beast" (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 30th, 2013, 10:07 AM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

New Thread?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis View Post
I think LR (or Ford?) federalized the 300 tdi at great cost, but never ended up using it.

Jeff
How about a new thread on this?
This one keeps floating from various topics and is now very long.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:19 AM
jcb-memphis
Jeff B.
None

Done.
110 hybrid (from a 90) NAS Defender "Oates" #1597
2002 D2 SE "Very Disco" (sold)
1993 RRC LWB "The Beast" (sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 31st, 2013, 07:22 AM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
I don't know if this was stated before, but to import a truck the truck has to be 25 years old and the engine has to be 21 years old or older. I read some in my research, that the truck has to be 60% original. I can't seem to find that info again. If you have a 300tdi than you're in the grey area. If I can remember, the 200tdi came out in either 1992 or 1993. I can't remember the year. Not all tdi's are legal yet. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old March 31st, 2013, 07:45 AM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by couga861900 View Post
I don't know if this was stated before, but to import a truck the truck has to be 25 years old and the engine has to be 21 years old or older. I read some in my research, that the truck has to be 60% original. I can't seem to find that info again. If you have a 300tdi than you're in the grey area. If I can remember, the 200tdi came out in either 1992 or 1993. I can't remember the year. Not all tdi's are legal yet. Correct me if I'm wrong.
No, the 200 tdi came out in 1989 and was used through 93. There is no 60% original interpretation . You probably got that from a forum such as this one frought with posts from arm chair experts.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 31st, 2013, 09:28 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I'd love to see some CBP agent weenie with a spreadsheet and calculator trying to determine what's 60% original on any of our trucks. That's asinine.

Semper Fi!
Old March 31st, 2013, 09:40 AM
PTSchram
P. T. Schram
Down to only six!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcb-memphis View Post

Jeff
I guess it was now four or five years ago when my 4.6 was seized, I was told by a CBP agent that the 200 and 300 TDis were not "type-accepted" for importation. I took it up with USEPA and was told that there was no way they would accepted and the cost to have them type-accepted would be cost-prohibitive.

IIRC, the only turbo-diesel that was originally in a Rover that can be imported are the VM varieties.
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:23 AM
Ray_G
Ray Gerber
54 S1 86", 96 D1 (Coyote), 06 D3

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf Fabrication View Post
I'd love to see some CBP agent weenie with a spreadsheet and calculator trying to determine what's 60% original on any of our trucks. That's asinine.
That's not the way it would work-they'd just seize the truck & let you make the spreadsheet. The comment about customs jurisdiction being rather broad earlier in the thread is very germane. It's also an area the govt takes seriously since it predates things like income tax as a source of revenue for the nation.

Not making a judgment or statement on it to drive anyone further toward a vigorous virtual waving of their Gadsden flag, just having worked enough interagency problems to appreciate how to blend various agencies authorities & capabilities when necessary.

In short; not the agency I'd want to go toe to toe with.
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:38 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Tthe only uk diesel that Ford had federalize a was the one used in the London Taxi a 2.2 liter unit that was briefly sold here.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:42 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Edit

Semper Fi!
Old March 31st, 2013, 10:52 AM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Tthe only uk diesel that Ford had federalize a was the one used in the London Taxi a 2.2 liter unit that was briefly sold here.
You should post up in the other thread about the 300tdi...
Old March 31st, 2013, 12:34 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_G View Post
The comment about customs jurisdiction being rather broad earlier in the thread is very germane.
The God-damn Germans got nothing to do with it!

- Sheriff Buford T. Justice
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 31st, 2013, 01:03 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Germane... Germans

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
The God-damn Germans got nothing to do with it!

- Sheriff Buford T. Justice
Germane: as in appropriate or relative in nature to the subject... is what I always thought it meant.

Sheriff Justice was always a humorous character, but not as funny as Ralph the bus driver.

Lets let this thread end after so many posts, because things are not so germane with regard to the original subject...

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

Old March 31st, 2013, 01:06 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdavisinva View Post
Germane: as in appropriate or relative in nature to the subject... is what I always thought it meant.
I was merely quoting Smokey & The Bandit, which is Jackie Gleason's response when someone uses the word 'germane'. But if I have to explain it then it loses it's luster
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old March 31st, 2013, 01:18 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Not so germane...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathanwind View Post
I was merely quoting Smokey & The Bandit, which is Jackie Gleason's response when someone uses the word 'germane'. But if I have to explain it then it loses it's luster
Quote:
Sheriff Justice was always a humorous character, but not as funny as Ralph the bus driver.

A suggestion:
Quote:
Lets let this thread end after so many posts, because things are not so germane with regard to the original subject...

Old April 1st, 2013, 07:28 AM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
My comment is one of the most sensible and intelligent things so far posted in this thread.

No one has a clue what is going on here. Not even you.
And certainly the most humble...

Anyway,
As eluded to above by the threads most intelligent poster; we don't really know what laws are alleged to have been broken. What I do know, through my own dealings with the good Doctor is that he is very personable and a good salesman. I also know that he lied through his teeth to me when I bought a truck from him a few years back. I wrote out every excruciating detail of his deceit in a separate thread a couple of years back. Aaron's standing in this online community got that thread deleted pretty quick. I'm not going to get in to it all over again, but I'll sum it up by saying that a dishonest person is just that. I hope that there aren't too many good people negatively impacted by all this, but for the star of the show it was just a matter of time and karma is a motherfucker.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 12:25 AM
couga861900
Cougar, WM of Hiram 72
Land Rover Defender 90 2.5td

Registry
Wow!
Old April 2nd, 2013, 01:42 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by alastair View Post
And certainly the most humble...

Anyway,
As eluded to above by the threads most intelligent poster; we don't really know what laws are alleged to have been broken. What I do know, through my own dealings with the good Doctor is that he is very personable and a good salesman. I also know that he lied through his teeth to me when I bought a truck from him a few years back. I wrote out every excruciating detail of his deceit in a separate thread a couple of years back. Aaron's standing in this online community got that thread deleted pretty quick. I'm not going to get in to it all over again, but I'll sum it up by saying that a dishonest person is just that. I hope that there aren't too many good people negatively impacted by all this, but for the star of the show it was just a matter of time and karma is a motherfucker.
Are you the guy that bought the cheap import truck and then got pissed off when you discovered that it was a cheap import truck?
Old April 2nd, 2013, 02:59 AM
alastair
AJS
84/94/95/2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Are you the guy that bought the cheap import truck and then got pissed off when you discovered that it was a cheap import truck?
Nope. Something you want to say Chris? PM me. I'm not twelve fucking years old.
Old April 2nd, 2013, 05:35 AM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by alastair View Post

Nope. Something you want to say Chris? PM me. I'm not twelve fucking years old.
Maybe you are not 12 fucking years old but you sure are acting like one

Long time ago I have learned that it takes a man to stand up to a man and a child to do the same when the opponent is down

BTW, don't ask me to pm you, as what I am saying here it is not different that what I will tell you In person

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat