Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by transientmechanic View Post
Theoretically,

If one of your competitors was breaking the law to compete in your industry, wouldn't you make a phone call?

I would.

ECR got in a lot of trouble from the DOT about 10 years ago for performing diesel swaps. They are very aware of what is legal and what is not. They have invested a large amount of money into determining what legal boundaries there are in operating their business, and they adhere to them.

What is wrong about that?

Not saying that they did or didnt drop a dime... it could have been anyone (or no one). Regardless of who did or didnt, if the law was being broken and it was reported... I dont see how ANYONE could have a problem with that. If you have a problem with what the law IS, then I understand. But that has nothing to do with any vendor or individual.
ECR has bought/owned several Puma 110's.

------ Follow up post added March 28th, 2013 02:30 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindy View Post
Red Mountain Rovers
Tim called me yesterday asking what was going on. They sold the last one they had, the doormobile to a guy in Cabo. IE no inventory.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2013, 02:52 PM
Naplm00
Matthew
1983 110 200tdi 3 door soft top

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viggen View Post
Not the same. Motor swaps are EPA legal as long as it is a DOT approved motor and it is same year or newer as the chassis you are putting the motor in. Diesel swaps are legal as long as it is an approved motor. The 200, 300, etc... were never federalized and therefore are not legal for a swap. You could take your D90 or 110, drop in a Chevy LSx motor and be completely legal, as long as the new motor has all of the smog equipment that your chassis would have had. So, cats, etc...

I cant beleive that the Crate motors from WORLD and blueprint in Jegs are DOT approved...
Old March 28th, 2013, 03:02 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
http://www.forfeiture.gov/pdf/CBP/Of...tification.pdf

Lists both CAFRA and non-CAFRA DHS/CBP seizures. Can anyone find a Defender in there? I looked for Land Rover and Defender and found only a reference to a Discovery.

http://www.fear.org/CAFRAslide6.html

1/29/2013, a 1995 Nissan Skyline was seized.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2013, 03:12 PM
mongosd2
Frank Rafka
01 D2 96 D1 83 110

Considering this went down 2 days ago and it's a on going investigation, I wouldn't think the trucks are going to show up any where until its all sorted out...And your link looks like Port seizures only...

If I had a vehicle involved in this, I'd be looking for a lawyer well versed in Custom laws...
Old March 28th, 2013, 03:14 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Good point

I am curious about all the other trucks that have been seized in the last few months. I would have thought at least one would have shown up on the public notices.
Old March 28th, 2013, 03:35 PM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
Tim called me yesterday asking what was going on. They sold the last one they had, the doormobile to a guy in Cabo. IE no inventory.
I just checked their website. Their inventory is a lot less interesting than it used to be!
Old March 28th, 2013, 03:36 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonoronos View Post
I looked for Land Rover and Defender and found only a reference to a Discovery.

I wonder why that Disco was seized. Here it is.

http://www.autobidmaster.com/carfind...E_VAN_NUYS_CA/
Old March 28th, 2013, 03:39 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
I wonder why that Disco was seized. Here it is.

http://www.autobidmaster.com/carfind...E_VAN_NUYS_CA/

something to do with additional cargo (maybe a white powdery substance).
Old March 28th, 2013, 03:52 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
I have a PACER account, I am going to have to see if anything has been filed in Federal Court yet.

Old March 28th, 2013, 03:59 PM
WeBeCinYa
WeBeCinYa
94 ST #84

Registry
One thing seems for sure, that after all this, the "Defender" dealers are going to have to go after more NAS models, making that market more competitive and taking less meat from the bone in NAS 90 or 110 transactions. Once the dust settles, we will see how many ROW or PUMA's show up on lots.
1991 Range Rover Classic (sold)
1995 Range Rover Classic (sold)
2006 LR3 SE (sold)
Old March 28th, 2013, 04:09 PM
PTSchram
P. T. Schram
Down to only six!

Quote:
Good point

I am curious about all the other trucks that have been seized in the last few months. I would have thought at least one would have shown up on the public notices.
I wasn't aware of any other seizures in the recent past. What happened?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mongosd2 View Post
If I had a vehicle involved in this, I'd be looking for a lawyer well versed in Custom laws...
Unless I knew it to absolutely legal, I'd be taking my lumps and dealing with the fallout with my wife as that would be far worse than anything the Courts could do to me.

All of a sudden, I'm wondering if the price I quoted for my 109 this morning was too low.
Old March 28th, 2013, 04:46 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Think they'll seize Johnny Mayers 110?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1674522448.jpg
Views:	364
Size:	266.5 KB
ID:	69190

What engine is that?

Name:	image-3804627591.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	171.7 KB
ID:	69191

Name:	image-1457209150.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	189.7 KB
ID:	69192

Name:	image-2917961055.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	69193
Old March 28th, 2013, 04:51 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf90 View Post

Attachment 69190

That, clearly is a NAS truck that was altered to look like an import - NOT.

Old March 28th, 2013, 04:52 PM
triple9music
Chad Davis
1984 Defender 90

Registry
I wish they would seize his music and DESTROY IT!!!!
Old March 28th, 2013, 04:55 PM
psykokid
Jake
1997 Disco

Quote:
http://www.forfeiture.gov/pdf/CBP/Of...tification.pdf

Lists both CAFRA and non-CAFRA DHS/CBP seizures. Can anyone find a Defender in there? I looked for Land Rover and Defender and found only a reference to a Discovery.

1/29/2013, a 1995 Nissan Skyline was seized.
Wow that list is long.. Someone lost a bunch of M203 grenade launchers, chinese M14 copies, and Norinco M99 shotguns in seattle.

Old March 28th, 2013, 05:20 PM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PTSchram View Post
It was silly until "I" got one of those letters

And that was after I had a new 4.6 seized by CBP/ DHS until I could prove it was "fundamental similar" if not identical to a type-accepted engine.

When that engine was seized, the firs thing the customs agent said was "is it a diesel, we're onto you Land Rover guys". Further, he claimed they were destroying several TDis a week and at least two trucks each week for non-conforming engines.

Waiting anxiously for MY call from CBP/ DHS.

.................................................. ........................

Trust me, both LRNA (W/R/T trademarks) and CBP/DOT/EPA are very interested in the little guys doing onesie-twosies. I have the bonded warehouse "cage" fee to prove it. All for a lousy RV8 4.6 imported from UK. The same engine in all of those trucks from '87 to '04.

I still have problems quite often importing bearings, lighting components and anything to do with the security systems.
Damn, I was just tossing around the notion that if LRNA cracked down on the use of the word "Rover" that they would have a hand in what Land Rover stuff gets imported. Guess I wasn't so out in left field. Still baffles me that they would really care about it but like I said about the "Rover" word thing - silly.

That is a total head scratcher about the 4.6. Obviously with the recent events there is a big hard-on to crack down on diesel imported motors. What cracks me up is that the agent said "we're onto you Land Rover guys". Really? What? That bunch of kooks that want a glorified tractor with an engine that has the power output of any shitbox Kia today? At least the Skyline has some performance.

But the law is the law. Taking a guess here but once the dust settles some people won't have their rigs any more; cheap diesel Defenders will be no more; NAS prices go up (ya for me); snotty but original 25 year old import LR's will go up in price because they are rare in the UK and the now extra time costs at the ports; and other diesel conversions (OM617) will be the ticket (if those are even legal ).

O yeah - one more guess: if Jeep does put a diesel in their JK there will be a bunch of ex-Land Rover fanboys. Especially when Jeeps keeps on putting proto stuff out like this: http://www.expeditionportal.com/vehi...from-moab.html Or at least until 2016 when the 200tdi will be "safe" to come over.
Old March 28th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Surf90 View Post
I'm not a huge fan of his product but respect the fact that he's a big enough Defender fan to include significant footage in his video.

Maybe we shouldn't call attention to certain things on a public forum where there are certain lurkers? Jus sayin.

Lets not be sour grapes because we don't have a 2010 Puma.
Old March 28th, 2013, 06:33 PM
Surf90
C.S.
1989 Defender 110 200tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie Treehorn View Post

I'm not a huge fan of his product but respect the fact that he's a big enough Defender fan to include significant footage in his video.

Maybe we shouldn't call attention to certain things on a public forum where there are certain lurkers? Jus sayin.

Lets not be sour grapes because we don't have a 2010 Puma.
Agreed. I love the fact that he's a defender guy. He made it pretty public that he has what is most likely a puma 110 by putting it center stage in a video with millions of viewers. I'm in no way trying to call attention to anyone.

*moderators please feel free to delete my comments if you feel they could negatively impact anyone. Thanks.
Old March 28th, 2013, 06:53 PM
junkyddog11
oil soaked filter
95 RRC 300tdi

Quote:
Originally Posted by rovertrader View Post
Be careful Matt, while this seems to be logical, we have been told by our DMV that all removal and reinstallation of VIN must be done by a DMV inspector. As Ron points out earlier in the thread, these regulations all vary state to state. But a picture of you doing an illegal act with the best of intentions is still illegal, again per NCDMV.
Not worried at all. The fist time I had to remove the vin tag from a bulkhead I checked with the State I do business in. Was instructed to do just this. If this is an issue on a federal level then I guess I'd have to stop contributing to the economy at current level.

new expansion complete. Not only are we the only Rover shop in Eliot Maine...now we're also the biggest.

"Dedicated to the resurrection of junk through engineering?"
Old March 28th, 2013, 07:23 PM
rdavisinva
Robert Davis
N/A

Was told OM617 is fine...

Quote:
Originally Posted by don View Post
...and other diesel conversions (OM617) will be the ticket (if those are even legal ).
Before building anything, called the local DMV and was advised that it is acceptable to put an OM617 5 cylinder Turbo Diesel out of a 1984 Mercedes 300D into a 1984 Land Rover.

According to the local dealer there were more than half a million Mercedes imported into USA with the OM617. This number sounded high, but I saw 2 on the road today, so maybe so and these engines rarely go bad and as a result are available in lots of junkyards, obviously USA certified and a smooth quiet runner.

A 160 HP factory tuned engine out of a 1977 300SD won the land speed record in the same year averaging something like 157 MPH over around 4 days or so. It was mounted in one of the factory race cars. The record stood for a number of years.

Uncle "Richard" Douglas has a Land Rover with big wheels that never gets stuck... until he breaks something so it won't go. Uncle Douglas always breaks something. - Anna Crowther at the Conclave 2012 (AKA Carburetor Neck)

"What's with this death wobble, Uncle Douglas, I can't keep it in 1 lane?"
UD: "Just Power through it man!"

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat