Rotator cuff surgery - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 23rd, 2006, 11:31 AM
Rover- Girl

Question Rotator cuff surgery

Well, just dropped the hubby off to get his right rotator cuff fixed.
Just wanted to know if anyone here had this done, and if so what can he and I do
to make life more comfy after the surgery.
Would like some feedback on your experience and recovery
to help him along
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:36 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
Are you talking about his Rover or him?.. I rock climbed fro 20 years and rotator cuff problems were not uncommon, especially when training, didn't happen to me, but to overzealous trainees. Unfortunately there is not much he can do but stay off of it. When he starts to heal, stretching lightly will help the injury. When stretching is relatively not painful anymore , light calistenics or very light specific weight training will help rebuild strength, and also help pain.
He might experience other muscle pains related to overcompensation by his other muscles. Stretching will help.
Patience is key, and the realization that after he is healed, he will be recoup and be probably be stronger, if he does it right. Long rest from constant work out routines is key in surpassing physical "plateaus".

Hope this helps, and hope that you will be gentler on your husband in the future!
Old June 23rd, 2006, 12:38 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

I recommend Flintstones chewable morphine (Just kidding). I don't have any first hand experience with it, but a colleague of mine did and his arm was in sling for quite some time to immobilize his shoulder. He'll probably have to do physical therapy quite often and will probably need your help the first few days, but the physician will explain what’s best for him.

DJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:14 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Most likely he will be given a physical therapist to do a lot of the after-surgery recovery. Depending on what was done, it might be a really painful experience for him.

Be prepared to do a lot of driving around for small errands and stuff. Stock up on hot and cold packs as well as whatever asprin the doctor recommends. Maybe get some more pillows to make it more comfortable for him on the bed/couch where it may be a serious inconvience for him. And if he's got hobbies he can do that won't stress his shoulder, I'd suggest contributing to them with new goodies because he's probably going to get bored out of his mind if he's significantly restricted from doing things.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old June 23rd, 2006, 01:57 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
i had a friend that had this. not to hate but I hope it works. I need to have the surgery also but the cost benefit analysis doesnt work out for me
Old June 23rd, 2006, 02:19 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

vicodinvodkavicodinvodkavicodinvodkavicodinvodkavi codinvodkavicodinvodkavicodinvodkavicodinvodka.... ........

disclaimer:
I am not a physician, nor do I condone the abuse of pharmaceuticals.

p.s.- Dibs on leftovers from your hubby's 'scrip.

HA,HA just kidding!!!!

(not really) (yes, I was kidding) (no, really...) (no! no! no! I was kidding)

Best of luck to your hubby!
Old June 23rd, 2006, 02:22 PM
thewap
Marc
'95 D90 SW#106

Registry
DJ's Flintsone Chewable Morphine ? LOL
Old June 23rd, 2006, 03:27 PM
dave_lucas
Dave Lucas
None

The doctor just told me the other day that if the next shot of cortisone does not fix me I will have to have the same thing done

I am severely bummed not to mention a little freaked out about it
Old June 23rd, 2006, 04:33 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Hayward
vicodinvodkavicodinvodkavicodinvodkavicodinvodkavi codinvodkavicodinvodkavicodinvodkavicodinvodka.... ........

disclaimer:
I am not a physician, nor do I condone the abuse of pharmaceuticals.

p.s.- Dibs on leftovers from your hubby's 'scrip.

HA,HA just kidding!!!!

(not really) (yes, I was kidding) (no, really...) (no! no! no! I was kidding)

Best of luck to your hubby!
LOL! I enjoyed that.
Old June 24th, 2006, 10:27 AM
lactic
Adam
'95 D90 SW Arles Blue

Rotator Cuff

He can usually expect to be in a sling for around 6-8 weeks with restrictions on mobility. The RC has little blood supply so it takes a long time to heal correctly. It also will depend if he has other stuff done in there like a labral repair or capsule stabilization which will dictate the progression of recovery and physical therapy. I would definitely find a sports medicine PT clinic that has experience with rehabing RC and make sure they follow the surgeon's rehab protocol to the day. More is not better with the RC and the saying "No Pain, no gain" definitely does not apply when stretching and strengthening. Also, he can expect that the range of motion will eventually improve first, then the strength will come back, and only towards the end will the shoulder start to be painfree. Sleeping will suck for awhile but will get better.

Good luck to him!
Old June 25th, 2006, 12:33 PM
roverboy
Thomas
Booger

never underestimate the healing power of the BJ. Sorry. But it's true.
Old June 25th, 2006, 01:50 PM
Rod Hayward
Rod Hayward
95 D90 Green #2288

Amen, brother.
Old June 26th, 2006, 09:37 AM
DJG
David Harrison

Was his rotator cuff tendon severed, torn or was he getting an orthoscopic type surgery?

I had several tendons that had to be "fixed", some calcium deposits to be scraped away and I also had to get my collar bone chopped about 1/2 an inch. All this due to compression injuries playing hockey.... and some other things.

I had surgery last December and it took a solid month to get any comfort back. Slept on the couch for the first month as well, lating flat on my back hurt like hell. I'm now back 95%. And everyone I talk to tells me the same thing, the only reason that I recovered so quick was that I went to PT 3 times a week and did all the exercises at home (and even at work). My PT actually signed off on me in less then two months which is pretty quick.

I'm lucky enough to go to the same gym as my PT and he always comments on people who don't really work hard at the PT and that they will never fully recover. So..... PT, PT, PT, PT, PT,PT. Oh, and I had my first visit to PT 3 days after the surgery....that was not pleasant. All and all though I'm glad because I can kayak again, mountain bike, surf, etc...

If he severed his RC, then that's a whole other story...... Not sure on any advice there. But I would suspect PT is important as well!

Good luck.
Old June 28th, 2006, 02:19 PM
Rover- Girl

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJG
Was his rotator cuff tendon severed, torn or was he getting an arthroscopic type surgery?

I had several tendons that had to be "fixed", some calcium deposits to be scraped away and I also had to get my collar bone chopped about 1/2 an inch. All this due to compression injuries playing hockey.... and some other things.

I had surgery last December and it took a solid month to get any comfort back. Slept on the couch for the first month as well, letting flat on my back hurt like hell. I'm now back 95%. And everyone I talk to tells me the same thing, the only reason that I recovered so quick was that I went to PT 3 times a week and did all the exercises at home (and even at work). My PT actually signed off on me in less then two months which is pretty quick.

I'm lucky enough to go to the same gym as my PT and he always comments on people who don't really work hard at the PT and that they will never fully recover. So..... PT, PT, PT, PT, PT,PT. Oh, and I had my first visit to PT 3 days after the surgery....that was not pleasant. All and all though I'm glad because I can kayak again, mountain bike, surf, etc...

If he severed his RC, then that's a whole other story...... Not sure on any advice there. But I would suspect PT is important as well!

Good luck.
I believe he had torn his and it was ankerd back to the bone.
He is doing somewhat better but still has allot of pain.
He spends his day and nights in the recliner and still requires the ice-sleeve.
He is not looking forward to the PT, but he's preparing himself the best he can.
I'll just be happy when its all over and have him feeling normal again.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

« happy birthday | hi »