Rotary Phase Converter - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 1st, 2014, 11:26 AM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Doug I'm at work and just logged on for the first time in a while. I haven't even finished reading this thread but I have built a three phase converter. It's not hard and probably cost me 100 bucks 20 years ago. It is made with an old 3phase motor out of a welder, a 110 motor out of a dishwasher, plywood and wire. Works great. If you want more info post up here and I will write something up. I'm swamped with work right now so havent been around much. Sorry I didn't see this sooner.
Advertisement

Old May 1st, 2014, 01:09 PM
pendy
jim pendleton
89'd90

I would love to see you write this up.
Years back I collected most of the parts to do this but ended up with a VFD that applied better to the machinery that I was powering up.
But there is nice bandsaw up for sale in my area with speed control already and a large 3 phase motor that a convertor may be a better approach .

Advice is only as good as the person applying it--
Don't make me give you bad advice!

Lemons or lemonaide, whatever your taste provides.
Old May 7th, 2014, 12:00 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
Sorry for being so slow, I'm in the middle of starting another company and it is taking up quite a bit of time. I'll give you the basics now and then I need to dig up the wiring. I may just open up my converter and go from there.

Plywood. I built a little table for the Three phase motor to sit on. It needs to be tall enough so that the 110 motor (dishwasher in my case) can be underneath.

Motors- The three phase you are gong to use needs to have about twice the horse power as what you are running. When you convert to three phase out of a 220 line you will loose about 25% power so it needs to be larger to compensate for the loss. My Milling machine is 1.5 and surface grinder is 1 Hp so I used a three HP motor out of a welder. So mount that on the table. Underneath it mount the 110 motor to a piece of plywood and using hinges mount that to the table so that you can attach it to the 3 phase motor with a belt. The deal is that you can run a three phase motor on 220 but you can't get it started. So what you do is put a belt connecting the 110 to the 3 phase motor. and turn on the 110 motor. This will get the 3 phase spinning then turn on the power to the 3phase motor. When they both are spinning I grab the wood holding the 110 and lift it (and the motor) putting slack on the belt. Then I would use a fancy tool (a stick) and knock the belt off. Turn off the 110 motor and put the belt up for the next time you need it. The 3 phase motor is now running and with the right wiring set up will kick off 330 power. I will get the wiring for you and maybe snap a photo but give me some time as everything is torn up getting ready for a new shop.

The essence is that you will loop one of the 110 lines coming out of the c3 phase motor and make it feed the third leg then send it out the power cord and By doing that now you have three hots. So what you are doing is taking the two hot wires and when it starts to send electricity back to the pole grab it and send it back to the third leg on the motor then kick three hots out of the motor and to the machine you are running.

Hope that makes some sense. It will help when I get the wiring for you.

More later,
Michael
Advertisement

Old May 7th, 2014, 01:05 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Doug,

I need an email address for you. My Electrical engineer has a diagram that he is going to send me and I can forward over to you. The last one he built lasted years. He used a motor, some capacitors and a couple relays.
Old May 7th, 2014, 02:07 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Doug,

Here is what my friend came up with he has had one in operation since 1999. He said the relay you need is 6x555 from Grainger. He can work up the capacitors specs. He also has a 10 and 15hp motor for bartering.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rotary.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	70.4 KB
ID:	94361  

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat