Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old February 14th, 2016, 11:13 AM
Ncrover725
Bobby
1985 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
yep. this is my long term goal. but the prob is you wont be able to get a defender with rtt through a standard height garage door.
I have tried to no avail. I now just get it of the defender, carry it in, then get it on the ceiling. I set it on a ladder then ratchet strap it to the ceiling for storage. Next house will have a higher garage door.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3995995273.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	498.3 KB
ID:	142379
1998 D1 (Sold)
1971 109 3 Door (Sold)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2016, 11:25 AM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncrover725 View Post

I have tried to no avail. I now just get it of the defender, carry it in, then get it on the ceiling. I set it on a ladder then ratchet strap it to the ceiling for storage. Next house will have a higher garage door.
there are garage hoists made for jeep fiberglass hard tops that would be good options.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 14th, 2016, 11:32 AM
wanabewheelin
Michael Sword
1989 110 200TDI, RHD

Registry
In the UK search on defender2.net forum. They come up for sale pretty regularly along with all sorts of gems, you could do well.

------ Follow up post added February 14th, 2016 11:35 AM ------

Found one for sale on this site, some repair required ...

DISCO3.CO.UK - View topic - [For Sale] Howling Moon 1.4 Tourer Roof Tent
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old February 14th, 2016, 11:44 AM
Ignotus
gene
1960 109, w/200TDI

I have a Tepui tent on my 109. with the parabolic springs it sits 80" above the ground to the outside of the floor. I'm old and 5'9", getting it off and on so far has been with 3 other guys and undoing the rain gutter clamps and lifting the rack and all off in 1 go. Since I am single set up is tedious and I have to climb up on the roof to get the cover zipper across the front. Set up and take down by myself takes about 20 min each. Best use for me is set up when staying in 1 local for a time. I have a cot set up for inside the back when I move around.

Mark, very good write up on the pro's and cons!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0381.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	124.4 KB
ID:	142380   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0380.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	142381  

Blog;
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old February 14th, 2016, 12:39 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignotus View Post
I have a Tepui tent on my 109. with the parabolic springs it sits 80" above the ground to the outside of the floor. I'm old and 5'9", getting it off and on so far has been with 3 other guys and undoing the rain gutter clamps and lifting the rack and all off in 1 go. Since I am single set up is tedious and I have to climb up on the roof to get the cover zipper across the front. Set up and take down by myself takes about 20 min each. Best use for me is set up when staying in 1 local for a time. I have a cot set up for inside the back when I move around.

Mark, very good write up on the pro's and cons!
thanks. You brought up another good issue regarding RTT's. Which way to mount them? Having an annex, I originally mounted it over the rear to create the extension to the rear cabin. What i learned was that when the tent was deployed, it was ideal...but it was a total PITA!!! to setup. The problem, particularly on a 110 with a lift, is that when you mount for rear opening, the RTT is on the back of the rack. There is nowhere to stand on 3 sides to remove/reinstall the cover, and do what you need to do to extend the tent. once open, 3 sides of the tent are totally unaccessable without a step stool, ladder or something to stand on (notice step stool in picture?). So installing windows rods, etc to finish the setup just sucks. I solved this by switching to a front rack mount with a side opening, and added tree sliders. That made a tremendous improvement in ease of setup. i was able to stand on the tree sliders and easily reach all the RTT cover fasteners. I could also add the window rods from the tree sliders (instead of having to install from within the tent) without needing anything else to stand on.

20 min just to setup the tent is an epic fail for campsite setup in my opinion. my complete camp setup goal was to be able to go to sleep (for late night arrival) or be able to start cooking in 15 minutes or less.

I highly recommend side or front deployment for defenders. Leave rear deployments to vehicles with much lower roof lines.

ISIL and al qaeda can go F*ck themselves...
Old February 14th, 2016, 03:04 PM
Ncrover725
Bobby
1985 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Overlander View Post
thanks. You brought up another good issue regarding RTT's. Which way to mount them? Having an annex, I originally mounted it over the rear to create the extension to the rear cabin. What i learned was that when the tent was deployed, it was ideal...but it was a total PITA!!! to setup. The problem, particularly on a 110 with a lift, is that when you mount for rear opening, the RTT is on the back of the rack. There is nowhere to stand on 3 sides to remove/reinstall the cover, and do what you need to do to extend the tent. once open, 3 sides of the tent are totally unaccessable without a step stool, ladder or something to stand on (notice step stool in picture?). So installing windows rods, etc to finish the setup just sucks. I solved this by switching to a front rack mount with a side opening, and added tree sliders. That made a tremendous improvement in ease of setup. i was able to stand on the tree sliders and easily reach all the RTT cover fasteners. I could also add the window rods from the tree sliders (instead of having to install from within the tent) without needing anything else to stand on. 20 min just to setup the tent is an epic fail for campsite setup in my opinion. my complete camp setup goal was to be able to go to sleep (for late night arrival) or be able to start cooking in 15 minutes or less. I highly recommend side or front deployment for defenders. Leave rear deployments to vehicles with much lower roof lines.
I'm actually looking at going back to stock spring height as opposed to current 2" lift to make set up easier. The 2" lift requires me to used a RTT ladder extension and s bit harder loading paddle boards.
1998 D1 (Sold)
1971 109 3 Door (Sold)
Old February 14th, 2016, 04:18 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I have an ARB simpson that I have had for 5-6 years and it's been great. Good quality product priced between the cheapest nylon rtt's and the top of the line uber expensive tents. ARB's support here stateside is awesome. Called up having misplaced the spring stays that hold the flaps/ dormers over the windows up, two days before and event. ARB over-nighted me new ones for free. I'd keep future covers, zippers, parts etc. in mind as you look a tents to buy in the UK.

Mark's point that they suck on a rig you want to wheel @ events etc as opposed to overland, I 100% agree with. Especially on the East coast where trees and brush are constantly working on/tearing @ your expensive tent. I am on my second cover for that reason.

I had mine on top of the truck for a short time and didn't like the constraints. I fixed up a sankey and mounted it on a ladder rack above the sankey bed. I keep all my gear in the sankey year round and simply roll into camp and unhook the trailer and deploy the campsite. For my uses that is ideal.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old February 14th, 2016, 05:36 PM
SGS714
Scott Striglos
3xRRC 2xD90 2xD110 Series II, IIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I fixed up a sankey and mounted it on a ladder rack above the sankey bed. I keep all my gear in the sankey year round and simply roll into camp and unhook the trailer and deploy the campsite. For my uses that is ideal.

That's what we do also.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	SGS_1288.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	99.9 KB
ID:	142413  

67 Series II
71 Series IIa 88" ACR 2.8 Power Plus
89 RRC 2 door VM 2.5TD
93 D110 NAS #327
94 2x D90 NAS #'s 1076 ACR 4.8, 1161 SBC
94 D90 NAS now a D110 HS 2.8 aka Project Wolf
95 2x RRC
1-SWB,Doing the LS Gen IV 98% Done
1-LWB 300tdi
Old February 14th, 2016, 06:21 PM
roverman2010
John
1985 LR 90 200Tdi

Registry
I am all for TTT...

Still looking for that place where I can carry a paddle and get asked what's that.

JnK Services
FC101 GS FFR
57 LR 88" SXF 858
85 LR90
95 D1 Tdi
05 D3 HSE
97 XK8 BRG FHC For Sale
Old February 14th, 2016, 09:33 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

If you're single you're definitely going to want to get an Autohome Airtop tent. Recent statistics show that you have a higher probability of getting laid in an Airtop. The gas strut kind, not that crank version. Chicks dig gas assist. Plus set up is a breeze. Pop 3 latches and it's up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ignotus View Post
I have a Tepui tent on my 109. with the parabolic springs it sits 80" above the ground to the outside of the floor. I'm old and 5'9", getting it off and on so far has been with 3 other guys and undoing the rain gutter clamps and lifting the rack and all off in 1 go. Since I am single set up is tedious and I have to climb up on the roof to get the cover zipper across the front. Set up and take down by myself takes about 20 min each. Best use for me is set up when staying in 1 local for a time. I have a cot set up for inside the back when I move around. Mark, very good write up on the pro's and cons!
Old February 15th, 2016, 12:57 AM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
We have the Autohome Maggiolina on our 110 and love it. It's got a lot of space for the 2 of us and our gear - we've also slept with our 90b Lab comfortably in it too - getting him in was pretty easy - getting him out was almost a major injury, for me and him!! I think it's roughly the size of a queen bed.

I don't see any real decrease in fuel mileage...We have the factory NAS 3.9 gas motor and averaged 16mpg all the way from Kentucky to Alaska a few years ago, so we were happy with that.

We take it off and store it suspended from our garage ceiling too, so getting it on/off is a bit of a chore! Unfortunately our door is too short to drive in/out with it on top
We put it on a small trailer, and I run it to my work airplane hangar, where we have a lift and I can put it on/off there by myself. Otherwise you need 3-4 people to do it depending on strength.

Ours mounts up with Thule bars on ratcheting rubber straps which go around the exterior cage - these were designed for use on the Nissan Exterra's cage and work perfectly on ours!

You can get in/out either side of the tent and if the ladder isn't there, you can easily step up on the tire and cage to get back up.

I love how easy it is to set up and the weather/wind resistance is excellent! We spent 11 straight nights in it once and the bed is incredibly comfortable. My shoulders hurt on a crappy mattress and these don't do that to me. It's a pretty spendy little unit, but I'd definitely buy one again!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat