Roof Rack Jerry Can Holder ideas - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

View Poll Results: What type of Roof Rack mounted jerry can holder would you prefer
Single Piece w/ Multiple slots (Ice Cube Tray) 2 33.33%
Individual holders that are modular and latch on to eachother. 4 66.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Old November 8th, 2012, 07:38 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Roof Rack Jerry Can Holder ideas

So i'm gonna make some for myself, but if it goes well may make some more for others if theres an interest

Question

Which do you prefer:

1. A single piece that have multiple "slots" for various number of cans. (think ice cube tray). It would be one single piece to install, but if you had a 4 can holder, and only wanted to carry 2 cans you'd be in sense wasting the space for the other two cans.

2. A modular design where each can has its own holder, but could "latch" on to the adjacent holder when in place. (think lego's) However you would need to secure each holder not only to the adjacent one(s) but also the roof rack each time you took it on/off. (I would try to make this as quick of a connection as possible)

Either way, my idea is to make it easily removable since 99% of the time I dont have jerry cans on my roof rack, and when i dont, i need the roof rack to be clear and flat to put stuff like surfboards up there
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2012, 07:42 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

My SW had a RN rack with two spaces in the back for Jerry cans. It looked cool but was a PIA to actually use them.

Old November 8th, 2012, 07:54 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Assume you have lifted a full Jerry can up. Now have you ever tried to lower it to the ground? Not easy!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 8th, 2012, 08:01 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Thats why god made siphons for when you need to fill your truck with it

That being said its 40lbs Not that heavy...
Old November 8th, 2012, 08:33 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Thats why god made siphons for when you need to fill your truck with it

That being said its 40lbs Not that heavy...
I'm in agreement with cans on the roof being a pita. Most that have them up there are empty. I think Goose used to even wax his.

I'm sure you want to carry fuel with your small tank. I wanted to be able to take 10gals of water when we go camping. I ended up going with these bolted to my sankey.
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/fuelholders.html

Just a different design

I have 5 scepter mfc's but up and down off the roof isn't happening anymore.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old November 8th, 2012, 09:19 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
I'm in agreement with cans on the roof being a pita. Most that have them up there are empty. I think Goose used to even wax his.

I'm sure you want to carry fuel with your small tank. I wanted to be able to take 10gals of water when we go camping. I ended up going with these bolted to my sankey.
http://www.adventuretrailers.com/fuelholders.html

Just a different design

I have 5 scepter mfc's but up and down off the roof isn't happening anymore.

Not a fan of those, I want the cans to lay down, not "stand up"

I know having 160lbs+ of fuel on the roof might not be ideal, but theres really no where else to put 4 cans of fuel/water/whatever on a 90. Inside the vehicle isn't an option for obvious reasons.

I dont see the deal with putting them up/taking them down. If your going on a big trip, you put them up there once full, to fuel up just connect your siphon and let gravity do the work. maybe if its a water can you'll want to bring it down but thats just one can. (beside if you want you can put the water can inside the truck).

Again, a can is only 40lbs. Its really not that hard to lift 40lbs, especially if you have a latter on your truck.
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:34 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

I don't think he is obligated to make a case to convince us that jerry cans should go on the roof. Lets just assume that this is something he intends to do, move on from there and provide helpful solutions.

I have a dual can holder from Front Runner on my Front Runner Wind Cheetah rack. Sure the cans are cumbersome and heavy when filled up but so is my 19 foot fiberglass expedition kayak, bikes and all the other shit the rack is meant to store.

My first question would be, what type of rack do you intend to mount these on? I have a South African style aluminum rack with slots in them and I love the flexibility of that but you may have a completely different rack. What type of rack you have will make a difference. I don't think you'll be able to make a satisfactory solution for all types of racks.

I like the dual can holders but I have a few gripes with the front runner design that I'd like to improve upon. Back to your question, I say go for a dual design tray that could be attached or installed next to each other so you can store 2, 4, 6 or more. 2 or 4 will probably be the most common. Flexibility wins and you don't want to waste any precious real estate on that rack.
Old November 8th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I had the "Patriot Racks" holder mounted on a Wind Cheatah rack. The cans didn't lie down like Adrian says he wants to do, they sat on their sides. I think the holder would be easy to replicate in steel and wouldn't need to be so thick. Maybe this design will work for you.

http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...can-holder-new

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Old November 9th, 2012, 08:00 AM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Doug/Carl, thanks. The idea is to use some sort of a c-clamp to hold them to the rack (or maybe even a toggle latch to make it really quick). I think the two designs I may be forced to make is one for racks with round bars, and one for racks with flat or square bars.

That Patriot racks thing looks way beefy. Thats how I want to have the cans... i guess on there side is a more accurate description (as opposed to laying down). Just not standing straight up.

I like the idea of doing them in 2's. its a good compromise between the two ideas.
Old November 18th, 2012, 07:47 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
So - had some time to tinker, had some sheet metal cut up and bent for me.... let me know what you guys think

Specs:
16awg cold rolled steel (i might change to 18awg, 16awg is very difficult to get a perfect 90 degree bend with), Totally welded, no screws, nuts or bolts. (for security)
Retaining bar is 1.5"w 1/8" thick steel (again thats overkill i think, may change it 14 or even 16awg. Heavy duty zinc plated hinges. "Basket" is 7" high (might make this 5-6" high if i make more, 7" makes grabbing the handle a little tough)

All in all a very solid piece. Have two more to make, this was my first attempt. Lockable clasp's as well for some security, The welds are actually pretty clean, have some cleaning/grinding to do on the hinges.

Still to do is drill some holes in the bottom for water drainage, figure out how i want to attached this to the roof rack (im thinking 4 toggle clamps, on on each corner), and to paint it.

Questions for you guys:

1. If you were to buy this, without any attachment system, what do you think a fair price would be? Remember these are dual jerry can holders. Expedition exchange sells (1) for $75, and its pretty similar, and I would say not as heavy duty as this (judging by pics)

2. What type of finish would your prefer, and how much would each be worth.
Painted would be standard, how much would you pay for powdercoating, and galzanizing?

3. How much would you value a quick attached/detach system at? or would you prefer to figure out your own?

4. What type of roof rack to you have? Round bard, square/rect. bars or grate type floor?

Thanks guys
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0773.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	61160   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0774.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	61161  

Name:	IMG_0775.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	61162   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0776.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	61163  

Name:	IMG_0777.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	61164   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0778.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	65.7 KB
ID:	61165  

Name:	IMG_0779.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	61166   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0780.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	61167  

Name:	IMG_0781.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	59.6 KB
ID:	61168  
Old November 18th, 2012, 08:00 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Have you tried to grab the handle with the can full and does it roll upright without binding in the casing? It seems as you have to grab both ends to get it out. Try lowering the handle end of the casing perhaps.
Old November 18th, 2012, 08:05 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

I hate carb cans... Does the govt really think it is harder for kids to open this over the NATO style? Rant over.

Can you make them fit the NATO style?
Can you make them lockable?
I would want multiple mounting options. Most likely they would mount to my car hauler or other trailer.

Pricing, I would like to see $65 - 100ish.

Old November 18th, 2012, 08:07 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
Have you tried to grab the handle with the can full and does it roll upright without binding in the casing? It seems as you have to grab both ends to get it out.

Yes you do - i thought about that, but I would rather have it more secure than be able to grab this with one hand. Even if the retaining bar wasn't secure or somehow came loose, the higher sides would keep it in place in all but the most severe angles, which was worth something to me. I also thought about how many times i would be taking a full can out of the holder and it wouldn't be much. (I plan to use a siphon and let gravity do the hard work when it comes time to re-fuel) And if I did, it didn't seem hard to just grab the bottom of the can and guide it out. Anytime I take it out, im going to be standing on the rack anyways.

In your oppinion, is that a major flaw?
Old November 18th, 2012, 08:15 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429 View Post
Yes you do - i thought about that, but I would rather have it more secure than be able to grab this with one hand.

In your oppinion, is that a major flaw?
Its by no means a major flaw. Most able bodied owners would find that fine. When you need fuel and do not have to go looking for it than its a success right.
Old November 18th, 2012, 08:19 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90 View Post
I hate carb cans... Does the govt really think it is harder for kids to open this over the NATO style? Rant over.

Can you make them fit the NATO style?
Can you make them lockable?
I would want multiple mounting options. Most likely they would mount to my car hauler or other trailer.

Pricing, I would like to see $65 - 100ish.

Fit NATO - I dont see why not, it just has to do with overall dimensions, and the profile of the spout area, which is easily changeable. I'll look into the overall dimension differences.

The ratining bar has a lockable hasp. The Hasp I used isn't as heavy duty as I would like (although it still works fine). I'm thinking about using an adjustable and heavier duty lockable hasp, but it would add $19 in cost to each holder ($5 for two hasp vs $12 ech) - Depending on the mounting option - that may or may not be lockable.

option 1 - customer drills holes in the roof rack and floor of the holder, and screws them in. Not so "quick", but with the jerry can in place and locked, the screws would not be accesible and the whole unit would be "locked" to the roof rack

option 2 - toggle clamp with lockable hasp, haven't found a cost effective one yet, a toggle clamp may or may not require the customer to modify there rack anyways.

Option 3 - Provide some L tabs on the side, to be clamped to a roof rack by customer (or even a full legnth lip around the whole thing)

My biggest problem is figuring out something thats universal for round bars/sq bars,and the various spacing thats for all roof racks.

$100 would be do-able w/out a mounting system (some L tabs/lip wouldn't be an issue). Any sort of quick release/universal mounts would certainly add cost $40-$50 easy)

------ Follow up post added November 18th, 2012 08:20 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
Its by no means a major flaw. Most able bodied owners would find that fine. When you need fuel and do not have to go looking for it than its a success right.

Indeed - thats what i figured, if you can fill up a jerry can and carry it, you can probably lift 40lbs from any angle
Old November 18th, 2012, 09:28 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Hate? To my knowledge only the cap is different. I only have non-carb cans so I can't compare the caps but what's to hate about the new cap? The old cap is real fiddly if you ask me. The double hinge binds up all the time and the safety pin rattles out. Useless and antiquated.

The new regulations main objective was not to make them childproof. It was intended to cut down on spills and evaporation emissions. Each year, Americans spill over 9 million gallons of gasoline - the equivalent of an oil supertanker. Gas cans account for about 87 tons a day of smog-forming pollution in California alone. Thats equal to emissions from about 1 million cars.

Rant over.

Quote:
Originally Posted by woldd90
Old November 18th, 2012, 09:45 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Looks good but I'm not crazy about the deep bucket. I get its more secure. I'm not sure how you guys use yours but most of the time I don't have the cans up there. The FR holder I have has a J-shaped hinge so I can remove the top portion when the cans are not used. Since the tray is only 1 1/2" tall that is all that is left on my rack when I don't need the cans. I only throw them up there for longer trips. Personally I like not having a big contraption up there when the cans aren't on the rack.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman429
Questions for you jguys:

1. If you were to buy this, without any attachment system, what do you think a fair price would be? Remember these are dual jerry can holders. Expedition exchange sells (1) for $75, and its pretty similar, and I would say not as heavy duty as this (judging by pics)

2. What type of finish would your prefer, and how much would each be worth.
Painted would be standard, how much would you pay for powdercoating, and galzanizing?

3. How much would you value a quick attached/detach system at? or would you prefer to figure out your own?

4. What type of roof rack to you have? Round bard, square/rect. bars or grate type floor?

Thanks guys
Old November 18th, 2012, 09:55 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Well. The main idea was to make this easily removable, so you wouldn't have anything up there most the time, only when you need cans up there. So I agree, it's not practical to leave it up there. I think the whole idea revolves around making a quick connect mount for it.

Would most of your prefer a short holder and leave it up there all the time, or a full size one but thats easily mounted/removed?
Old November 18th, 2012, 10:06 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

A deep basket wouldn't be bad if the whole thing can be removed easily. If you stick with a deep basket make sure to be generous with drain holes inside. You could taper the bucket so that it is lower towards the handles so that they are easier to access? Similar to this magazine holder?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	magbox.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	61176  
Old November 18th, 2012, 10:12 PM
bossman429
Adrian
1988 90

Registry
Yup. That's actually exactly what I was going to do lol