Rollcage (roof rack continued) - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 18th, 2004, 12:30 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Rollcage (roof rack continued)

I didn't want to tread jack the roof rack tread in help so I was gunna let it go but then I just couldn't in good faith when I heard this:

Quote:
There is no way they will move with a side impact
I'm sure that the cage provides a lot of help with a roll for sure. I was wronge in my first assesment. But if you believe it will not move, you are way mistaken.

Here is exibit A, Safety Devises
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rolledd.jpg
Views:	911
Size:	82.0 KB
ID:	397  

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2004, 12:31 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Exibit B:

A cage about as strong as the one you say will never move:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rolledjeep.jpg
Views:	685
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	398  

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 18th, 2004, 12:36 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Exhibit C:

A cage way stronger than what you have.

I'm sure you are fine with your cage. But don't post that it will never move, it will give a lot of the people here a very false sense of security. The cages that Safety Devises sell just brings our trucks up to the bare minimum of safety requirements. Meaning, your as safe as a bone stock Tracker. But, I could be wrong.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	rolled_mog.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	399  

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 18th, 2004, 12:50 PM
Berty
Brett Hurrell
D90 Hardtop 300Tdi

David, in the instances you've demonstrated those vehicles look like they've been involved in a full on roll, either from height or at speed. That is a completely different scenario to the examples of usage of my cage.

I chose the wrong words maybe when I said about not moving with side impacts, but I stand by what I said they will not fold over in normal use which is what I believed you were implying.

The white 90's cage appears to have moved backwards, but not sideways. Looking at the area in the cab where driver/passenger would be sitting, the cage seems to have served it's purpose well imho. I'm guessing the owners of this survived the crash/roll?
If that truck was cageless? I think they would have been seriously injured or dead.

Anyway I don't want to get into nit picking & we are getting way off topic from the original post, but I'll agree with you that any cage in a violent roll incident will buckle to some degree.

best regards
Brett
Old March 18th, 2004, 12:52 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Yes, if you hit something hard enough, in the right spot, and/or with enough weight, its going to bend.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 18th, 2004, 12:55 PM
nickt
Nick Taylor
1998 Ex-Camel Trophy 110

Registry
Ah, never say never - you never know what could happen (yes, I'm aware of the irony there)!

Still the Safety Devices cage in my 90 isn't a NAS spec one, it's a bit heftier. That's a scary photo of the 90 - just imagine what that would be like without the cage, yikes.

I've attached the best picture I have showing the internals of the cage, not a great pic, but you can see how it's very well braced (I was loading at the time, the stuff in the rear is normally racheted down).

I saw a Disco roll 3 or 4 times at 75 mph. Bog standard Disco - no cage. The car was wrecked but the safety cell didn't deform. After seeing that I'd feel safe in a Disco.

Nick
Old March 18th, 2004, 01:06 PM
Ragland
Robert Ragland
1994 Defender 90

The cage on a Defender is not a crash cage like on a race car. It will give and flex under a variety of circumstances. The purpose of 4x4's having these at all is for reasonable rollover protection - not to make the truck impervious to damage when it flips. Think of them like a motorcycle helmet, which will also break in the course of offering protection.

Looking at the picture of the white Defender up top (and knowing nothing of the scenario), it appears the cage functioned as intended: the occupants were protected from major roof failure.

I've seen a variety of rollover pictures involving Defenders, and it seems they manage much better than the average truck (which usually has a fully collapsed window). I'd take it over a Tracker any day.
Old March 18th, 2004, 01:10 PM
nickt
Nick Taylor
1998 Ex-Camel Trophy 110

Registry
Oops. Here's the photo
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	90cage.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	97.4 KB
ID:	401  
Old March 18th, 2004, 01:11 PM
cbkearney
Chris Kearney
Pile of Parts

rolled D

That is Ben Bibbs old truck. He was crawling up a slope, it got to steep, and the d-90 went ass over tea kettle and the first thing to hit the ground was the windsheild. All the welds on the top corners of the cage failed and that was the end result. He did walk away from that roll with a cut on his head but that was it. He actually drove the truck off the trail afterwards. There were some pictures of it on the web, but I am too lazy to search right now.

CB Kearney Fine Woodworking
250 Canal St
Lawrence, MA 01840

Old March 18th, 2004, 01:14 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Was that white SW Ben Bibb's? it rolled over backwards, when he was trying to drive up something, i remeber it from his website. I am sure when you have something as heavy as a D-90 fallin back on its roof there isnt a whole lot that would support all the wieght of a D-90. I have seen photos of rolled D-90s and i think the c age is sufficent. I personally saw a FJ 40 roll at speed ~60 did 4 rotations and land upright, its cage supported and gave very little, the occupants of the vehicle walked away. IMHO pickup trucks in general are the worst prepared for roll over for obvious reasons. The comment about the tracker incomparison to the D-90 is really really really stupid, yeah thats the dumbest thing i have heard all day.
Old March 18th, 2004, 01:16 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
David, in the instances you've demonstrated those vehicles look like they've been involved in a full on roll, either from height or at speed. That is a completely different scenario to the examples of usage of my cage.
Hey brett,

Yeah, we were comparing apples and oranges. When I look at a roll cage I try to figure out if it could handle a roll Anyway, I am very perticular in this respect. I feel that an external cage, like what the NAS have should keep the exo of the vehicle kinda straight, and internal cages only job is to keep the people safe. The white defender was a full on hard core failure. The people living was luck. FYI: He went over backwards. The load contacted the cage first. Thats embarrassing. I am not saying that a bent cage is a failure at all. The red mogs cage worked well in my opinion. If just a few bars bend and you can go on your way, thats a good cage.

Anyway, this is what I meant when I said that from the looks of the exterior cage, it would not hold up. But WAY better than nothing.

edit:

Quote:
The comment about the tracker incomparison to the D-90 is really really really stupid, yeah thats the dumbest thing i have heard all day.
Sorry Phil, but the tracker and the d-90 performed about the same in rollover comparisons. The Safety Devises cage was a mandatory addition when the Defender came to the US because it FAILED the initial crash test for rollovers. Think about it for a second. Look at the two roof lines and materials used. Once again, jumping into a tread with nothing to add. Way to go.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 18th, 2004, 01:22 PM
Berty
Brett Hurrell
D90 Hardtop 300Tdi

Quote:
Originally posted by Buckon37s
I'm sure you are fine with your cage. But don't post that it will never move, it will give a lot of the people here a very false sense of security. The cages that Safety Devises sell just brings our trucks up to the bare minimum of safety requirements. Meaning, your as safe as a bone stock Tracker. But, I could be wrong.
I don't really know where you're coming from with this comment.

I never suggested that a Camel spec cage(which is what Nick T & myself have) is impervious to all damage, I merely disagreed with you that the roof bars would fold over with the slightest incident.
I also stated that imho camel spec is stronger than nas spec.

For anyone who after reading my comments now believes they're invincible whilst driving their 90/110. I apologise, You're not.
Old March 18th, 2004, 01:27 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Sorry Brett,

I misunderstood. I think we both might have. I meant it would fold in a full roll. Sorry.

edit:

And the cage inside in the picture looks very beefy.

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 18th, 2004, 01:29 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
blow me.
Old March 18th, 2004, 01:32 PM
DJ Menasco
DJ Menasco
#500/500

Here they are: http://www.landroverclub.net/Club/HT...Whiterover.htm

DJ
Old March 18th, 2004, 02:27 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I like you Phil, but your just not my type!

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Old March 19th, 2004, 05:12 AM
Berty
Brett Hurrell
D90 Hardtop 300Tdi

One thing of note. Over here the vast majority of Land Rovers do not have roll cages.
The results of a survey were published last year for fatalities in actual car accidents, guess what vehicle was number 1 in the listing for survival rates?
Defender.
Closely followed by Discovery & Range Rover.
I'm not trying to lull anyone into a false sense of security, but the real figures show Defenders are pretty safe, without roll cages, air bags, crumple zones, etc.
I know what I would rather be in.
Brett
Old March 19th, 2004, 02:25 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

*******http://tawayama.com/gear/randompics/seriousoneonside.JPG*********

Didn't budge an inch.
Old March 19th, 2004, 02:34 PM
Tawayama
Michael Slade
No Land Rovers

Here's the pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	seriousoneonside.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	100.4 KB
ID:	410  
Old March 19th, 2004, 06:20 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

I think everybody has gotten the wrong idea. Defenders are very safe. They have excellent crash statistics because of the uber beefy frame and excellent engineering. In Rollover tests they underperformed a little. Took the rollcage to make them comply with U.S. safety requirements. I was simply pointing out that the rollcage in the picture would bow in a roll. The rollcage provided for NAS is not going to save your roof, maybe your life. Geez, you say one bad thing about these truck, truth or not and....

BUCK Wild Racing
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
ac, cage, rack, roof, roof rack