Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 18th, 2008, 01:54 PM
61rover
John Crouse
'93 NAS D110 (#8) / '61 Series II

Registry
Roll Cage Color

Like many, I've been ogling the work that ECR does and I really like the look of the black roll cages. I've also seen Graham Jackson's 110 (probably the most photographed 110 on the planet) up close and the black looks great on it as well (Even though it's not an SD cage). I've always kind of thought the white over white gives the NAS D110s a murky look.

What do people think of the look? Will painting it affect value? I'm really curious what folks think.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2008, 02:03 PM
bharris
Brad Harris
1994 d90 300tdi "Nola"

I prefer the look of the black cage on the white... no idea how it would effect value though
Old January 18th, 2008, 02:07 PM
Burke
Burke Bell
'94 NAS D90 #158

Registry
Personally that would be the first thing I would do if I had a 110. I think the contrast looks gerat!
Advertisement

Old January 18th, 2008, 02:31 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
I am certain it will not affect the value. I don't know of a single white-cage-snob among the Rover people I know. Most scratch their heads as to why Rover made it white in the first place. It makes the 110 look like it has a swollen head. A big alien brain.

I'm going to do mine black as soon as I can get back onto the same continent as the truck.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old January 18th, 2008, 02:50 PM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
I like the contrast. There was a similiar thread regarding this...
Old January 18th, 2008, 06:12 PM
newfD90
Chance
93 NAS 110

A guy here in town has a ECR 110 that he purchased from Copley. I don't personally know him, but Pikes Peak Rovers works on his truck. It happened to be at their garage when I was picking up my 110. That thing is beautiful. It even smelled new inside! But I digress. Anyway, I'm in the process of re-painting my cage and at the time, was undecided as to black or white. I was very pleased to see a black one closeup (I snapped a few pics, which you can see at http://picasaweb.google.com/Geurin/ECR_110). Long story short, I'm keeping it Alpine White.

"Fossil Fuel Rapid Disposal Unit"
Old January 18th, 2008, 07:23 PM
draaronr
Here
LR3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
I don't know of a single white-cage-snob among the Rover people I know.
great I must know some real asses, because two people come to mind. And I know that you know them too Jim, they live in the far West
Old January 18th, 2008, 10:09 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Mike (ECR) or any one else, can you tell me what part number this rubber seal is? It is closer to what I have at the front of the cage, but the 4 I have out back are slightly different and this is exactly what I am after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAGE_149.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	19.8 KB
ID:	11723  
Old January 19th, 2008, 01:16 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Its tough to decide. At first I hated the black, but it grew on me and I ended up Powdercoating it black on mine. Resale wise I actually think the black might be better as most people seem to prefer it. After all, its only a few hundred dollars to have it repainted if the next owner decided to.
Old January 19th, 2008, 03:46 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by draaronr
great I must know some real asses, because two people come to mind. And I know that you know them too Jim, they live in the far West
Maybe I've just never seen that side of them!

I can see how someone would prefer the clean look, not that there's anything wrong with that, but it reminds me of that early 90's automotive trend to color-key everything. A worst-case scenario would be a white 110 with a white cage, white wheel arches, white pinstripe tape on all the lights, a white band across the top of the windshield, white vent-a-shades, and white triple-bladed wipers with 3 little white winglets.

Follow-up Post:

Whatever you do, do better than this "restored to a very high standard" one on ebay right now, where they've painted over everything in situ. Even the pix of the door hinges have paint on the plastic pieces. Very sad.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	84.jpg
Views:	115
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	11757   Click image for larger version

Name:	87.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	62.4 KB
ID:	11758  

Name:	92.jpg
Views:	96
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	11759   Click image for larger version

Name:	93.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	11760  

Name:	74.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	65.1 KB
ID:	11761  

Old January 19th, 2008, 04:37 AM
Stmpede
Andrew Najarian
'93 NAS D110 #43

Yeah, I saw that one. I also liked the grade 5 hex bolts on the roll cage instead of the proper torx, the little rust on the door bottoms and inside at least one of the hinges, the painted mirrors, black lower 3" of the body, the missing bottom door seals, overtightened 5th door hinge bolts and, last but not least, the rear bumper that looks like it was painted with a brush!
Old January 19th, 2008, 05:04 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs
My favorite was the heartbeat pinstriping on the windows. It went well with the half tinted/half clear glass.

-Jeff
Oh yeah yeah, I totally forgot about that! The only way to improve our imaginary 110 now would be to add neon colored door edge guards with embedded reflectors.

Old January 21st, 2008, 06:52 PM
JSQ
Jack Quinlan

I dig the white.
Old January 22nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Eric Siepmann
Eric W. Siepmann
1997 Defender 90 SW

For an NAS, white all the way.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags