Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 23rd, 2008, 04:25 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Roll Cage CAD Designs

Anyone out there (ECR??) have the CAD drawings or specs on cages for the 110? Looking to ease the pain of bending my own cage by using someone's bending specs. Have not decided in internal or external cage yet, just testing the waters.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1 copy.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	16522  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2008, 05:45 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Ron Peppard had a full NAS 110 cage sitting around off the truck. Should be a lot easier to take measurements

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Old November 23rd, 2008, 05:52 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Yeah, I have been waiting on a response from him. Hopefully going to buy his cage!

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 23rd, 2008, 06:24 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Jonathan, if you buy that cage and cut it up, the NAS 110 gods will not smile on you...

Old November 23rd, 2008, 07:28 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
Jonathan, if you buy that cage and cut it up, the NAS 110 gods will not smile on you...
Why would I cut it up? It's going on a 110.

Semper Fi!
Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:12 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
What is this 110 you speak of?
Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:12 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Oh, for some reason I thought you were trying to exo a 90, but that must have been a different guy!

Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:28 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
hmmmm.....

Santa is bringing Dad a 110

Semper Fi!
Old November 23rd, 2008, 08:43 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Are you a super-duper expert tube bender? I think doing anything other than buying a jen-u-wine cage is going to look a bit goofy unless you are super-skilled. The bends and stuff aren't all on standard radii and the ones I've seen that people made themselves mostly look like total crap.

Old November 24th, 2008, 05:32 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I am a semi-super-duper fabricator. So you are saying I should hid the cage on the inside?

Semper Fi!
Old November 24th, 2008, 06:36 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
No, buy the NAS 110 cage and slap it on!

Old November 24th, 2008, 06:38 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
That's the plan if Ron agrees on my offer for his 110 cage!

Semper Fi!
Old November 24th, 2008, 08:23 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
I think what I'm hearing is that you should help me do the interior cage work to stiffen up Janey when I have the roof off. We'll then get the peanut gallery to bless our work before we attempt a cage for you
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:01 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
One of two things are going to happen: I am going to finally buy a tubing bender and hole notcher, or use those funds on a complete 110 cage. If I go the bender route, we can have a huge bending party.

Follow-up Post:

Back to square 1. For Ron's 110 cage he wants an elusive figure somewhere over $3k from what I gathered. Rightfully so, I naively offered $1k and was quickly shunned. Hey it was worth a try, right?

So I plan on bending up my own cage and you are welcome to learn from my mistakes. I have not decided on internal or external, but if I take my time I think I can produce a decent copy of the NAS cage, I just won't do the bolt-together design.

Semper Fi!
Old November 24th, 2008, 10:35 AM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
Yeah, 1k would be theft for a NAS cage, so I understand if Ron stiff-armed you.

And make sure you get my approval for anything you or Charles come up with - I'm the ultimate arbiter of cage-taste!

Old November 24th, 2008, 11:27 AM
rgrrvr
DJ Menasco is The Dude
1995 D90

there are some sweet cages on here that were custom builds, one guy in OK I remember seeing. Maybe VonC knows...
Old November 24th, 2008, 11:34 AM
landrovered
S. Smith
72 Series III 109 Diesel

I would vote for an internal cage. My NAS 110 gets crap mileage because I am pushing a box covered with pipe down the road. If your truck in not an NAS then you will surely come up short if your are going for the NAS look. With an internal cage you will add value to your truck instead of always being compared to the NAS, which will inevitably happen.
Old November 24th, 2008, 12:02 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
The ultimate for me will be a fixed inner cage up to the side cap height, with a bolt on upper portion that would fit with the top on, but can be removed. The reason for this is that although I really want to run it topless and cageless, I realize it's also awfully stupid. So If I could be stupid at times where I feel like only my own life is threatened (can you imagine I consider this somehow less stupid), or have the cage on the rest of the time (highway driving, wheeling etc.).

Anyway, no small task. I have access to a good hydraulic bender, although have not looked into drawing up cad designs yet.

charles
Old November 24th, 2008, 03:28 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I've pretty much decided on doing an internal cage. Who do you know that has a bender? Is it mobile? Would he rent it out? Might postpone the expense of buying my own.

Semper Fi!
Old November 24th, 2008, 03:30 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
Site Team

Registry
Not mobile per se, but might be willing to rent it out - he's a great guy. I'll ask. In Manassassssaaasaaaass which is a plus.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
cage