Roll Cage CAD Designs - Page 3 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old November 25th, 2008, 10:32 AM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

My cage took me like 2 months of work. I think 2 days may be a bit optimistic!!

If I were going to do an internal one I would take off the dash completely and weld flat bar directly to the bulkhead straight down from the outer bars. Then I would integrate that with tube in the footwell into the outrigger. Then put a bar right on top of the dash. The result would be no loss in interior space at all and a very strong cage that you could build with a spreader bar. It would be a lot of work but would be just as strong as a standard cage (should be). Of course, with an internal cage if you do ever roll your going to total so much of the truck that an exo may be worth reconsidering.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
All good points. An interior cage is easy to do, with some challenges up front as we all have addressed. The only issue with the exterior cage is that it is really easy mess up and make it retarded looking. If I go that route I will copy the NAS cage lines, but the issue is the tightness of the bends that ECR brought up. Then you have to consider mounting the cage to the body, then continuing the cage on the inside and eventually tieing it to something solid.

I do like your point that an interior cage will only save the occupants, but trash the body. Now you have me thinking.

Ahh... the dilemmas!

The NAS cage is 1.5" diameter tubing, right?

Follow-up Post:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirbo
I did one for Tiz's rig some time ago. Mike is right about the tight radius needed to duplicate the Safety Devices look. My die was 6.5 inch radius. If I had to do it again, I'd surely use a 5.5 inch die.
I can get 4.5, 5.5, and 6.5 inch radious dies for 1.5" tubing for my bender.

ECR or Cirbo, what is best for 1.5" tubing to get close to SDs look? 4.5 or 5.5?

Semper Fi!
Old November 25th, 2008, 05:32 PM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

I used 1.75 inch DOM on both cages. I don't know that I would go 1.5
Advertisement

Old November 25th, 2008, 05:36 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cirbo
I used 1.75 inch DOM on both cages. I don't know that I would go 1.5
Exterior cage? I think anything above 1.5" might start to look too beefy. If I did an interior cage it would be 2"

Semper Fi!
Old November 25th, 2008, 06:40 PM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

The windshield frame and over-door bars are 1.75". I believe the bar across the vents may be 1.5.
Old November 25th, 2008, 06:45 PM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
But isn't the exterior cage on the defenders considered weak?
Old November 25th, 2008, 06:57 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgalpin
But isn't the exterior cage on the defenders considered weak?
In my opinion, yes, mainly due to thin wall and bolt together design. If you build a well-designed cage out of 1.5 or 1.75 steel and make it integral to the top and tie it into the frame, you should be good. The exterior cage for me is more for keeping the top from collapsing, protecting the body, and a means to carry gear on the top. 2" might be a little excessive on the exterior.

Semper Fi!
Old November 25th, 2008, 07:11 PM
JimC
Jim Cheney
NAS 110 #145
Site Team

Registry
The NAS cage is considered weak by guys like Buck who expect a cage to work more than once. As long as it keeps my skull from getting crushed then its a good cage. Your interior cage, no matter how strong, isnt any better than one-shot exterior cage since your body is trashed in the event of a roll-over anyway.

Old November 25th, 2008, 08:25 PM
Cirbo
Jim C.
None

I think that the supports under the windshield bar (up against the bulkhead) are the first to give on a roll causing extensive front wing/body damage. I believe it was Shane B. who pulled the supports and welded extra metal to stiffen them.
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:00 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimC
The NAS cage is considered weak by guys like Buck who expect a cage to work more than once. As long as it keeps my skull from getting crushed then its a good cage. Your interior cage, no matter how strong, isnt any better than one-shot exterior cage since your body is trashed in the event of a roll-over anyway.
Thanks for thinking of me!

2in is totally unnecessary. 1.75x.120 Dom or chrom will be more than enough to survive multiple rolls.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
PSC
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old November 26th, 2008, 12:00 AM
madcowdungbeetle
Carter
1994 D90 on 37s supreme balla style

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckon37s
Thanks for thinking of me!

2in is totally unnecessary. 1.75x.120 Dom or chrom will be more than enough to survive multiple rolls.
not to mention it'd look the light light bar on an F150 redneck edition.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
cage