Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 16th, 2015, 10:53 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Rock Ware ex-MOD 110-specific sliders

They don't exist. But, I want them to. This is what most of us have:

Crappy, flimsy, chequer-plated sills.

As we ex-MOD owners know, our fuel lockers make the fitting of standard 110 sliders impossible unless you trim the locker doors and--potentially--the lockers, too. This is a half-assed hack, though. A better solution is a set of sliders that's notched in the rear to accommodate the lockers and their doors. To my knowledge, nobody has produced these.

I spoke with Matt and discussed the idea with him. He hasn't made 110 sliders in a while and certainly not for ex-MOD. To make these, he would need an ex-MOD 110 in Colorado Springs to pattern them off of. Sadly, I didn't get this done when I still lived in COS.

So, here's what I'd like to collect:

- The names of any ex-MOD 110 owners seriously interested in a set of sliders for their truck

- Anyone in the Colorado Springs/Denver/Pueblo area with an ex-MOD 110 that could make the drive to Matt's shop in Black Forest and let him take some measurements.

I have no idea what the cost would be and won't speculate, since Matt would be the one setting the price. For now, I'm just collecting names.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2015, 11:10 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Maybe a long shot but would sending the chequer plate sills to him work as they have the proper notch for the lockers in back?
Old March 16th, 2015, 11:45 PM
TMWTP
Jon
1989 One Ten

Registry
I'm good buddies with Matt. I've got to go down there in a few weeks with my 110, unfortunately not an ex-mod though.
'12 Rockware 3-seat rock buggy - FOR SALE!
'13 LR4 - FOR SALE!
'83 110 - FOR SALE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 16th, 2015, 11:50 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Maybe a long shot but would sending the chequer plate sills to him work as they have the proper notch for the lockers in back?
Unfortunately, not. A big part of the on-site piece will be designing how they will mount to the frame and taking measurements for that.

/
/
/
/
Old December 27th, 2015, 10:18 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Has there been any movement in this endeavor?
Old December 27th, 2015, 11:18 PM
speedpin
Adam
1985 130 Gen IV

Registry
Just trim 1 inch off bottom of storage lockers, about 1/4 inch below the inside floor of compartment Then use 110 sliders. Pics attached, can send better pics if wanted . Just an option. ..
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20151227_231729.png
Views:	259
Size:	535.5 KB
ID:	138021   Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20151227_231737.png
Views:	311
Size:	721.1 KB
ID:	138022  

Old December 27th, 2015, 11:32 PM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

That's my plan too Adam, thanks for pics!

Old December 27th, 2015, 11:37 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

That's exactly the hack I'm trying to avoid. The only way I can conceivably make this happen is to find a Defender fabricator with an ex-MOD 110 nearby. I found a guy here in Tacoma that makes all kinds of sliders for Jeeps and Toyotas but I had a hard time explaining to him what I wanted. He showed me some nerf bars but I demurred because that's not the look I'm going for. I really want that Mantec/Rock Ware look. Rectangular tubing, no drilling the frame or complicated bracketry.

/
/
/
/
Old December 28th, 2015, 08:01 AM
rovertrader
Dale
Tithonus 110, D-90, 109 S/T 5-door

Chris, I initially wanted the same thing, not trimming the truck. But, after looking at it more, if the slider is notched to maintain the locker in tact. the 'line' of the slider will look a bit odd IMHO. It is difficult to put into words, but the top edge of the slider with a notch removed will stick out cosmetically against the green...

Old December 28th, 2015, 08:48 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
I have a pair of generic sliders laying on the floor in my basement that I intend to notch for side locker clearance.

Of course I have a lot of other projects ahead of that, might be a long way out.

Chris I can go down to Colorado Springs with my exmod for measurement purposes if you're still interested in doing that.
Old December 28th, 2015, 08:02 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Mike, that would be awesome if you could go down to Matt's. I feel bad asking you, though...that's a haul.

/
/
/
/
Old December 28th, 2015, 09:25 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
Mike, that would be awesome if you could go down to Matt's. I feel bad asking you, though...that's a haul.
Hey Chris ...keep me posted if this pans out for you on production of some sliders for your Tith. I'd want a set too if it works out.
Old December 29th, 2015, 10:25 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris snell View Post
It takes a bit over an hour, and I'll be down there anyway for work by the end of January. My exmod is my daily driver so it really isn't a big deal.
Old December 29th, 2015, 08:34 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

LMK when you get close to going down there and I will link up you and me and Matt over email to coordinate. I haven't talked with him in a while so I will need to reconfirm that he's still willing to take on the project.

Chris

/
/
/
/
Old December 29th, 2015, 08:40 PM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
maybe yall can get volume pricing, +1 for rockware.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
110, mod, slide