Rock Sliders - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 12th, 2012, 11:11 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Rock Sliders

Here in the distant future, I'd like to do something about my rock sliders (Safari Gard). I'm thinking something with tree bars so that there is a little more protection, and something that doesn't leave a big gap between the slider and body like mine currently do. Also would like to have a decent attachment point for a High Lift. Possibly even pull double duty as an air tank...

Any one brand recommended that fits the bill? Or should I just live with the ones I have and add tree bars to them? Or perhaps custom fab is the way to go?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2012, 12:04 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
You just described the sliders by Terrafirma. Give them a look.
Old May 12th, 2012, 12:57 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

The SG are decent, but you need a 3rd attachment point to the frame and then weld in the tree sliders. Try and see if you can realign them to cure the gap.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 12th, 2012, 08:52 PM
Manimal
Carl Jonsson
1995 NAS D90 #219
Site Team

Get the ones that are galvanized then painted. One knick in the powdercoat and they'll rust otherwise. I think Stephen at Safariresto has them.
Old May 12th, 2012, 09:42 PM
Gunmaker
Michael Ullman
1995 D90 SW #270

Registry
I'm going to fab up a set for myself here in the near future. I did look at the Terrafirma and the problem I had with them is that they are made out of 3mm thick tubing. That is just under an 1/8th of an inch and I don't think that is really thick enough. However, I'm no expert, but I am planning on using some 2 x3 rectangular tubing that is 3/16th thick.
Old May 12th, 2012, 10:02 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
You have any pics of the SG sliders? I'm pretty sure that is what is on my NAS 90, would be nice to know 100%.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Old May 13th, 2012, 09:20 AM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

I'll post some today unless someone beats me to it.

------ Follow up post added May 13th, 2012 09:22 AM ------

I was thinking the TFs were not stout enough myself. I like the Mantecs, but they would need a tree bar tacked on.

I like the idea of galvy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunmaker View Post
I'm going to fab up a set for myself here in the near future. I did look at the Terrafirma and the problem I had with them is that they are made out of 3mm thick tubing. That is just under an 1/8th of an inch and I don't think that is really thick enough. However, I'm no expert, but I am planning on using some 2 x3 rectangular tubing that is 3/16th thick.
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:08 AM
jefferson
Jeff A
97 Defender 90 SW #593

I believe that Matt at Rockware can make you a set of his with tree bars. They will be stout.
Old May 13th, 2012, 12:38 PM
Broncoduecer
peter
D90

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-4147907400.jpg
Views:	377
Size:	495.1 KB
ID:	51497

Here are some pics of my Rockware bumpers and sliders.

I can't actually mount the hi-lift like the holes came in, I needed to drill holes further back to get the base plate flush with perch. Otherwise it hits the lights. As you can see in the pic it overhangs. Maybe if you have the round tail lights its not an issue. But like I said 2 new holes and it's all fine.

The bumpers otherwise are real nice. Front was super easy to install. It all fit real nice and the winch dropped in perfectly. Rear not too bad to install, easier if you have two people. You do need to drop the tank a bit to get at the bolts in the center, i used that as an opportunity to get a new fuel tank skid plate. If you get a hi lift mount you can't keep the 3rd light bar. The tire carrier wiggles a bit so I added some left over dyna mat to keep the cans from rattling. The corner protectors fit in real nice and seem pretty stout.

Sliders were real quick to put on as well. The tree bars stick out a fair way, so I think they will do their purpose well. No trees in NV though lol. They look real good and are very stout.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-2294706567.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	496.9 KB
ID:	51493   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3176537838.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	519.3 KB
ID:	51494  

Name:	image-2166654486.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	475.5 KB
ID:	51495   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3364980420.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	464.1 KB
ID:	51496  

Old May 13th, 2012, 12:55 PM
woldd90
Scott
1997 D90 ST #1444
Site Team

Sam, post a picture of yours... Before you spend a bunch of money, yours should be pretty easy to modify. Welding on a set of tree sliders/bars, is pretty easy. Adding a 3rd connection to the frame is easy too. Much cheaper than buying a new set.

Old May 13th, 2012, 02:02 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

So after getting a good look at the sliders, it looks like there are some body/door misalignment and/or outrigger/attachment point issues as the gaps are different on both sides.... which I guess confirms what Scott said about needing a 3rd attachment point.

I've always liked RW's rear spare tire carrier/bumper, but I want to keep the factory bumper. I plan on having one fabbed that attaches to the crossmember at two points so that I can keep my bumper and if I really went nuts, have the ability to convert the D to a ST. But, I would actually need to get my crossmember replaced to get the spare tire carrier fabbed. Guess while I'm working crazy hours, I'll keep "building" the truck in my spreadsheet and buying parts to decorate the garage...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0096.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	51498   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0091.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	40.9 KB
ID:	51499  

Name:	DSC_0087.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	71.6 KB
ID:	51500   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0088.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	37.6 KB
ID:	51501  

Old May 13th, 2012, 02:07 PM
SMac
Sam
NAS 97 D90 SW

Jealous, Peter. I always did like the RW front bumper. If the PO hadn't put a SG bumper on this truck, I would have went with the RW non-winch bumper. I like the idea of keeping the winch out of the elements when not needed but have the ability to attach it to the front or rear of the truck. Sometimes, especially out west, you only have room to back out. I can't wait to get back out west...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broncoduecer View Post
Attachment 51497

Here are some pics of my Rockware bumpers and sliders.

I can't actually mount the hi-lift like the holes came in, I needed to drill holes further back to get the base plate flush with perch. Otherwise it hits the lights. As you can see in the pic it overhangs. Maybe if you have the round tail lights its not an issue. But like I said 2 new holes and it's all fine.

The bumpers otherwise are real nice. Front was super easy to install. It all fit real nice and the winch dropped in perfectly. Rear not too bad to install, easier if you have two people. You do need to drop the tank a bit to get at the bolts in the center, i used that as an opportunity to get a new fuel tank skid plate. If you get a hi lift mount you can't keep the 3rd light bar. The tire carrier wiggles a bit so I added some left over dyna mat to keep the cans from rattling. The corner protectors fit in real nice and seem pretty stout.

Sliders were real quick to put on as well. The tree bars stick out a fair way, so I think they will do their purpose well. No trees in NV though lol. They look real good and are very stout.
Old May 13th, 2012, 02:08 PM
nathanwind
Jason Lavender
88-90-127-LR3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Alright nice...thanks for posting the pics. Looks like my hunch was confirmed - everything is SG on my truck. Front winch bumper, sill sliders, frame sliders, and tie-rod protection tube.
'94 90 NAS #324
'06 LR3 HSE

(10% discount for DSource members, use coupon code "D90")

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
slide