Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old September 18th, 2012, 10:46 AM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
ROAV Membership Drive @ The Conclave

ROAV Membership Drive

The Rover Owner Association of Virginia (ROAV) will be signing up new members at the 2012 Conclave event at the Cove in Gore, VA - September 21-23. (Another good reason to make it out this weekend.) Traditionally, most members sign up or re-new their annual membership at the annual Mid-Atlantic Rally (MAR). This year, the Conclave provides the perfect opportunity to get this done for 2013.

Membership costs only $20 per year and can be paid for in person with Cash or Check (payable to ROAV). A laptop with access to the ROAV website will be available for those that wish to pay with credit card or PayPal (Saturday - wireless internet signal permitting).

As an incentive for signing up at the Conclave, each new membership registration will receive a raffle ticket. This raffle drawing will be for a brand new "Troy Box" - a specially built tool locker designed to fit inside the rear space of a D-90, D-110 and will fit Series vehicles, too. This "Troy Box" comes complete with a lock and two keys and was donated to the ROAV by Troy Smith of Roanoke, VA. This much sought after and hard to find piece of custom Land Rover equipment is valued at over $200 and will only be available to those that signup for new ROAV membership. The raffle drawing will take place at the ROAV tent at 9:00 AM on Sunday, September 23rd. (You do not have to be present to win.)

ROAV depends on membership dues to provide services back to the membership such as the events at the 2012 Conclave (pony rides, fishing gear, children’s activities, and guided trail rides). Planning is already underway for 2013 events for ROAV members to include an event in the March time frame at the Wintergreen resort and the club continues to explore opportunities for a long term lease on new land for a more permanent home for the MAR.

Make sure you take some time to stop by the ROAV tent and sign up or re-new your membership!! See you on the trails!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012 Membership Drive Splash.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	57744  
Sterling, VA
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 23rd, 2012, 10:57 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
So who won ?

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old September 24th, 2012, 07:53 AM
The Dro
Dro
1988 Ninety

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 130Tdi View Post
So who won ?
Loic
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old September 26th, 2012, 11:03 PM
Ren Ching
Skinny Pete
'84 90 "Yamelo"/'88 RRC "Chewbacca"

Registry
I thought it had to be a NEW membership to get included in the drawing. I guess there were no new ones so they just changed the rules on the fly? So, what does membership in ROAV get you these days?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrc.swb View Post
Loic
Old September 27th, 2012, 06:49 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ren Ching
I thought it had to be a NEW membership to get included in the drawing. I guess there were no new ones so they just changed the rules on the fly? So, what does membership in ROAV get you these days?
Cricket...

Semper Fi!
Old September 27th, 2012, 07:54 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I think you get a sticket or something dont you? I did not re-up this year, but I think I got a sticker or a patch.
Old September 27th, 2012, 08:37 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Larson
I think you get a sticket or something dont you? I did not re-up this year, but I think I got a sticker or a patch.
Nope, not even a sticker, pen, or paper clip.

Semper Fi!
Old September 27th, 2012, 09:00 AM
Chris Vitale
Chris
'95 D90 ST 2.8L TDi #2050

Just paid my $20. Thanks ROAV for sponsoring the kids events! I know my little ones enjoyed them. Much appreciated.
Old September 27th, 2012, 09:45 AM
cgalpin
Charles Galpin
'94 D90 ST, '63 SeriesIIA
Site Team

Registry
I wanted to show my support and re-up my membership, but no-one was there around 8:45 Sunday morning. I was chatting with Joel and Randy and saw the ROAV crew assemble for the raffle but by the time I got back over there they were done and gone. I did get to take the Troy box home with me though

Chris, it was nice meeting you this weekend.

charles
Old September 27th, 2012, 10:44 AM
Firemanshort
David Short
1980 Stage One 109

Registry
Jonathan - unfair on the crickets comment - I was busy at the station all last night and off my computer.

Bobek - I see where the confusion comes from and we can try to be clearer next year. The intent was always for all memberships paid to qualify for the raffle. As all ROAV club memberships expire in October (typically at the MAR), everyone needs a "new" membership for the next year. The club was able to get between 20-25 members to sign back up for 2013. Congratulations to Loic for winning the prize.

The club gives back to its membership a few things each year. The Conclave events mentioned already (bouncy castle, tie-dye t-shirts, pony rides, etc.) were paid from club funds. For some folks - these were big services offered. For the Rover-guys with no kids, I can see how it would hard to realize your direct benefit for your membership fees.

One of the largest items that the membership fees are going toward are an investment to a permanent home for the ROAV events - especially the MAR. The club's research has found opportunities that vary between $2K to $8K per year for lease payments on tracks of land. Doing the math - that is a lot of membership dues that need to be collected. If we lock into a multi-year lease, the commitment is even greater.

With respect to membership packets, stickers, and newsletters – those are all great ideas. We are just short on volunteers who can help put all of that together. I expect now that the Conclave is in the rear view mirror, more of the club leadership’s planning bandwidth will open up and we can focus on more things like this as we start planning for the 2013 series of events.

The clubs is always welcoming to volunteers who want to take the initiative and help out with these sorts of things.

(Do not forget to save the date for the last weekend in March for the ROAV Wintergreen event.)
Sterling, VA
Old September 27th, 2012, 11:26 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
My vote would be for more communication and more events. No moon bounces or pony rides thank you. If ROAV can sponsor one solid event and stick to the basics with plenty of advanced communication I bet it'll get back on its feet again.

Clay
Old September 27th, 2012, 12:02 PM
down_shift
Russell
94' D90 ST & 06' LR3

Registry
I didn’t understand the moon bounce or ponies either. Think about it. We are camping in the woods with a pair of lakes. Mother nature has 100s of things to keep young kids occupied.
Old September 27th, 2012, 01:17 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Firemanshort View Post
Jonathan - unfair on the crickets comment - I was busy at the station all last night and off my computer.
That wasn't directed at you and a tardy response in the thread, it was commentary on the lack of overall communication and leadership from ROAV. Despite the fact I don't think I get my $20 worth from my yearly membership, I will continue to pay it and support the club whenever I can.

I will say that guys like you and Dan Rao are what ROAV needs to get it back to where it needs to be.

If you need volunteers, just ask. Don't rely solely on posting on the ROAV forum as I don't check that often. I'd be happy to do whatever.

------ Follow up post added September 27th, 2012 01:20 PM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by down_shift View Post
I didn’t understand the moon bounce or ponies either. Think about it. We are camping in the woods with a pair of lakes. Mother nature has 100s of things to keep young kids occupied.
True. Could have taken some tips from the Scouts and done like a rock climbing wall, fishing, paddle boats, archery, pinewood derby (have the kids make cars there and race them Saturday night), etc.

Semper Fi!
Old September 27th, 2012, 01:31 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Dave, I don't envy your position. It'll take some thick skin to get through this but I think you'll do a great job. Hang in there. Please let me know what you need help with as I'll be happy to help. Don't know if this would work but what we do in Little League is we set annual dues higher for people that don't sign up for volunteer jobs and for those that don't fullfil their callings. Maybe what needs to be done is a little weeding out of those that don't put up. Either in cash or sweat and tears. Al all volunteer Rally has a special vibe to it that ROAV once had. I think that can be taken back if ROAV keeps things simple and communicates more.

Clay
Old September 27th, 2012, 01:41 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1of40 View Post
Don't know if this would work but what we do in Little League is we set annual dues higher for people that don't sign up for volunteer jobs and for those that don't fullfil their callings.
That's nice in concept, but "more fair" to implement in the Little League setting, where parents are all fairly local to the core program. ROAV attracts members from far and near, and those of us who are far are already usually paying $150+ in fuel to get to the events ROAV organizes.
Old September 27th, 2012, 01:56 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Gas money doesn't begin to measure up to the personal time and cost plowed into trail maintenance and all the other crap it takes to pull off an event and keep a club's head above water.

I predict if ROAV dies on the vine ,one like it will never resurface and we'll end up paying more JV events. Which is fine but different.

Clay
Old September 27th, 2012, 02:23 PM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Very true. But, it's not like any discount given for membership would come anywhere close to the cost of time plowed into trail maintenance and all the other crap, either.

A private lease is cool, but not when it requires the burden of recruiting or retaining the 300-400+ membership dues it would take to accomplish just the land lease. Even if the land is successfully leased and all of the volunteer man/woman hours accomplish a few short trails, it'll likely fall short of the expectations set forth to not only have a great camping/socializing experience but also a challenging and diverse selection of trails out in the woods.

The last thing ROAV probably needs is the burden associated with the huge cost of maintaining and developing land for trails, plus volunteers. ROAV can accomplish a "leaner" operation by collecting annual dues and holding events at well respected and established offroad parks who specialize in maintaining and developing both easy to difficult trails. The participants then pay the parks for the use of their property, which yes...in the end may add up to more than ROAV leasing its own property in any given year, but with the added benefits of lifing an annual binding land contract off of ROAV's hands, and having tons of developed tried/tested trails...and usually bathrooms/showers on site already.
Old September 27th, 2012, 02:37 PM
o2batsea
Bill Adams
66 109 sw 94 lwb

Registry
Kill all the clubs. Put all membership activities into a national online registry. Everybody pays an annual membership plus a sliding scale pay per play activities fee. Coordinate events all over the country. With that kind of buying power we can dictate where and when to hold events. You pay only for the ones you want to go to whether they are in PA or CO or CA. With everyone connected with smart phones and tablets, the idea of a local is just unsustainable.
Instead of us being the odd ones out, vendors would be begging to come to these events.

1966 109 5 door wagon 300Tdi "spermaceti fueled"
1994 RRC LeWiB "ruining the air behind me"
1968 2A 88

All my troubles are Rover
Old September 27th, 2012, 03:02 PM
1of40
1of40

Registry
Yep, discounts won't work. Here in NOVA we smack parents that don't help with premiums for their shitty little kids that can't play worth a shit anyway. Maybe ROAV should try to rebuild and stick to the basics while they're doing it, which is how it started in the first place.

Start small with a well communicated message that there will be an event on x-date and space will be limited becasue there's not enough volunteer support to throw a massive event at this point.

The smaller events are still fun. Premiums charged for non-members and members that don't help.

And nobody should get their panties in a twist if they're charged a premium, given they don't help or register as a member in advance. The types of people that this format rubs the wrong way are the ones a club doesn't need clogging up the trails.

Clay
Old September 27th, 2012, 03:22 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
fwiw the moon bounce and poney rides were mobbed with kids.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat