Roav - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old June 30th, 2010, 09:17 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Roav

.....I'm hoping this thread will take some of the ROAV chit-chat away from the Cove Campout thread.

Dr. Aaron,
To answer you, yes, it does suck. I mean, I don't care anything about ROAV. If ROAV dried up tomorrow I would not loose any sleep. I'm not really into the whole club thing anyway, but I'm really not into ROAV because they never do anything outside their own club (trash clean-ups, trail repair, consistent forest re-vision meeting attendance, help to keep trails open, etc...).

But I do miss what MAR once was. I don't know how to really put it into words, but to anyone who ever attended a MAR through 2006, you know what I mean. Maybe it's all the Rovers, maybe it was the rain, maybe it was the shitty trails, or maybe it was the camping in a big field. I don't know. MAR was just MAR.

I don't think I'm alone in this thinking, either. The 2007 MAR attendance was what, 230 trucks? ROAV anticipated 600 trucks. I might be wrong, but I think the truck in attendance record was set in 2004 with over 400 trucks.

Some blame the economy. I don't. In 2007 both the National Rally and the Texas SCARR Rally both set records of their own.

But it sucks. I'd love to see a MAR like it once was. But it's like grinding your nuts into a fucking bed of nail with those clowns. Look at it this year, they cannot even tell you where MAR is going to be held. They know the dates, but they will not tell you where you're going. The event is 2-months away, and they will not tell you where you're going. This also probably means the t-shirts have not been made, tents have not been ordered, porta-pottys have not been arranged, food has not been decided on, sponsors have not been called, entertainment has not been booked, registration has not even been thought of, etc etc etc... It's 2-months away, but for some reason a group of circus clowns who cannot even tell you if you can do your trash pick-up contest without having a meeting to talk about it are some how going to pull off an event with over 300-people in attendance.

Starting to see what I mean?

There is some new blood in ROAV working very hard, God bless em. But when you have 11-people trying to fuck a football nothing gets done, butts get sore, and people get burned out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old June 30th, 2010, 10:51 AM
pushngo
Randy Williams

I agree all the new people I have met all seem to want to make it work and the old ones just want to hold things up.

Get the Mar committee down to 3 people and have at it.

John K and Christina and Mike and a couple of others were working their asses off at the spring Rally and Tackley was driving around with a banner on his truck that I don't believe to be true any longer

Attendees at MAR should vote which 3 people will set up the next years event not the entire club My $0.02
Old July 1st, 2010, 09:29 AM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by pushngo View Post
Tackley was driving around with a banner on his truck that I don't believe to be true any longer
Obama sticker?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 12th, 2010, 12:37 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron View Post

I dont think they know where they will hold the next MAR so it could be a long drive....

I think the location has been confirmed, but ROAV has not announced it, yet. The 2010 MAR will be on a property that borders, or nearly borders, the Pearls Pond property.

At this time there are no trails on the property.
Old July 12th, 2010, 07:59 PM
ukoffroad
Chuck Yarbrough
67 IIA

All info on the 2010 MAR will be at www.ROAV.org.
Old July 12th, 2010, 10:21 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

I don't see any info on the ROAV site.
Old July 16th, 2010, 03:18 PM
dchapman
Daniel Chapman
1999 D1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssbartley1 View Post
Seems like personal politics/conflict is getting involved with this- two events in the same weekend, that doesnt happen on accident. Petty.
You're right, it doesn't happen on accident. We purposely scheduled this the same weekend as the ROAV MAR event. We're sending a message to ROAV that we do not like what they're doing with the MAR event.

I don't know how long you've been around, Steve, and I don't know how long you've been going to MAR. But in the early 2000's MAR was a great event. The trails sucked, the time of year sucks, the camping situation sucked, the facilities sucked, and the food sucked. But the event was really fun. Many of us looked forward to MAR year-after-year and planned on attending MAR months in advance.

In past MAR's, my group would take things a bit further to add to the enjoyment of MAR. We would have our own tent set up; Cook our own meals; Play our own music; Fix other people's trucks; and we would pull in 25-trucks and 50-people to the event. This was fun. This is what made MAR for us. This is why the early 2000's were the biggest and best MAR's to date.

But in 2008 that all changed. The event was moved from the smaller Pearls Pond property to Oakridge Estates. This was some-what of a planned move as Pearls Pond was getting too small for the venue, but ROAV burned some bridges with the Pearls Pond property owner at the same time and ROAV has been denied access to the property ever since, even for their smaller Spring and Summer Rallies. But the Oakridge Estates property was a bad move, and many tried to tell the ROAV leadership this before hand. It all fell on deaf ears. The 2008 MAR event all but bankrupt the club. It's not a mistake that you will not find finance reports on the ROAV web site on how they spent $980 on wristband; $6,000 on flowers; or $20,000 for trail guides and land use fees. It was dumb.

I talk regularly to ROAV officers. I've had meetings with Chuck Yarbrough and Christina Rocechel that have lasted several hours. I just spent 5-days with John Keeney at the Texas SCARR Rally and we talked a lot about ROAV and the direction of MAR. When I talk with these folks we typically agree on 90% of the things we talk about. We actually get along quite well and we all share a similar vision that equally represents the brand no matter if you're a stocker or a truggy on 40's. But when it comes down to it, not much has changed over the last few years. I could go into detail and tell you why things have not changed, and if you really want to know I will. But this post is about why we choose the dates for our event the way we do.

After ROAV reached out to me and asked for my viewpoints, some changes have been made. I'm not saying some of the internal changes they have made are solely my ideas of that it was because of me that things were changes, but changes have been made. The changes have been very slow, but it's positive.

Some of it's bullshit, though. Just look at the last few Gear Box newsletters ROAV has published. Note how ROAV keeps hitting on how they want to the club to be more "Transparent". That's bullshit. ROAV has LOTS to hide. Wondering why the financial report is missing this month? Wondering why they want the financial report published in the first place? Wondering why they spent $9,500 on MAR t-shirts in 2008?

MAR will be no different this year. First they could not wait to get away from Pearls Pond because it was too small. This year they're going back, next door to Pearls Pond, for a smaller venue. To make things better, they've got a Summer Rally coming up in 2-weeks to keep them busy, but they have not cut the first trail at the new MAR location. They're back to shitty trails, shitty camping, shitty facilities, and if I had to guess, shitty food. It makes no sense and that's why we are, again, doing our event at the Cove the same weekend.

Is it petty? I think not.

Next years camp-out will be held on an 8,000 acre property in Orange, VA. They started cutting trails 2-months ago. It's up to the ROAV staff whether or not it's the same weekend as MAR.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat