Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 17th, 2013, 09:40 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Road trip tools

Heading out this afternoon on a 300 mile drive to Grand Junction. Considering taking the 110 since I've been driving it lately and it's been doing great (famous last words).

What tools should I have with me just in case. Don't want to be stranded on the side of the road. But not super talented in the repair department.

So far I have some screwdrivers and vice grips. Coolant of course AAA roadside assistance card.

What else?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2013, 09:42 AM
myoverlandrover
josh

I always throw in a craftsman tool kit that has most sockets/wrenches you would need for any basic repair.
Old May 17th, 2013, 09:51 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I always have two packs. One for expeditions that includes things like tie rod ends to hoses, fuses, belt small amount of fluids and a good assortment of tools. AAA card is a must. The around town is general tools, belt, fuses and things of the like. There are lots of threads on this and all reflect a good common sense approach to the most common fail points of our glorious passion.

Make sure you are registered with http://birmabrightbrotherhood.com/, you never know!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 17th, 2013, 09:51 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by aosias View Post
AAA roadside assistance card.
For a 300 mile trip, that should be plenty. Not sure what you'd do with screwdrivers. If you have a wrench set, bring it.

Consider buying a Mechanics tool kit from Harbor Freight or somewhere else at some point. I got one for Christmas a few years ago (300 piece kit) and I keep it in the back of the truck whenever I'm going really far. Sure they may not have a lifetime warranty, but none have broken yet, and I've just added on tools from there (hub tool, etc.).

http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...kit-45951.html
Old May 17th, 2013, 09:58 AM
meatblanket
Mike Simpson
1955 86 1986 ExMOD 110

Registry
A cold 12 pack will keep morale up in the unlikely event that you have problems. And if you don't have problems, it might make for a better day.

Ok, maybe a roll of duct tape for a cup holder.
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:19 AM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
For a 300 mile trip, that should be plenty. Not sure what you'd do with screwdrivers. If you have a wrench set, bring it. [/URL]
Flathead screwdriver, gloves and coolant have fixed her the last two times we've had issues. Granted I was only a few miles from home.

Going for a half Ironman race, at least I'll have a bike to get home.
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:23 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Yeah, the coolant hoses and other clamps are basically the only few things I can think of that a screwdriver would be good for and figured that's what you have it packed for.
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:41 AM
evilfij
evilfij
I have never seen a rover in person

I carry this. I found them for ~$50 a peice at a discount store 12 or so years ago and bought two for myself and one for my dad. This and some pliers gets you most of what you need. You could find something metric to do the same in craftsman or another brand I am sure.

http://www.amazon.com/Metrinch-Combo...words=metrinch
Old May 17th, 2013, 10:55 AM
seriesgarage
John Bradley
1995 LR D90

headlamp, small bright flashlight, work gloves, water and trail mix to hold you over
Old May 17th, 2013, 11:00 AM
revtor
Steve Maietta
1969 IIA 88" Bugeye

Registry
for a basic road trip, try to think what could stop you.. i realize that almost anything can happen, but what are the more common occurrences?

overheat -bad hose. bring some liquids I guess. gal of water, quart or two of motor oil. brake fluid to keep a leaking cyl topped up.
electrical battery flat -thrown belt fuses some wire and a pair of strippers if youre confident in your macgyver skills..
flat tire tools, spare w/correct pressure, wheels that will come off

ive been stopped in my tracks twice now bc of a clogged fuel filter..

no start bc of bad cap/rotor/wires -bring WD40 and a clean rag to dry a wet cap

chances are that one a road trip youre not going to lose your tranny, or blow out your brakes.. and if you plan for these types of things for every trip, then your truck is going to be constantly loaded with every spare part and doo dad you can think of, its a slippery slope. I like being prepared, within reason. AAA card, BirmaBrothers list printout and some cash/celphone are your friends for the big issues that may pop up.

have fun!

~Steve
Old May 17th, 2013, 12:39 PM
WD90
Dan
1995 NAS Defender 90

Registry
I made it 20 feet out of my driveway before running out of gass this morning. Thankfully I had about a gallon left from cutting grass...
make sure your tank is full!!

I have one of the tool kits from Harbor Freight as well... has completed every job so far.
Old May 17th, 2013, 05:13 PM
crown14
Verticalscrote
Volkswagen Super Beetle
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I may be alone here, but to carry hundreds of pieces of tools with you is senseless unless you are going on a trail or some long distance trip. That said, I do carry a kit I have tailored to my needs over the years, consisting of specific tools I would need for specific tasks- all of which are from a second set of tools not to be mixed up with my shop tools that get daily use... My problem originally was that I would carry wayyyyy too much with me and never use it. Carrying nothing isn't a solution either. Here is how I do it now:

I always have a knife somewhere. Cutting yourself out of a seatbelt sucks but its better than not being able to cut yourself out. Channel lock pliers. Cutters. Zip ties. Black duct tape.
Of course a hammer. Not optional. Ever. In my diesel I also carry the wrench I would need if I ran out of fuel and needed to bleed the fuel lines.

Always carry the fewest amount of tools possible that you would need to disconnect/remove the battery, for me that's a 10mm wrench and a 13mm wrench.

Always carry the fewest amount of tools that you would need to change a flat on a soft shoulder. I carry a small piece of plywood to keep jack from sinking, a jack, and a lug wrench.

Always carry the tools you would want to have of you needed to replace the belt(s) on the side of the road. Fan clutch wrench is a must. Serp belt trucks need a 15mm for the tensioner, v belt guys will need a bunch of stuff. Keeping new belt(s) with you wouldn't hurt either.

If there is some problem that requires more than that I will find another way.
Old December 12th, 2014, 10:29 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
For a 300 mile trip, that should be plenty. Not sure what you'd do with screwdrivers. If you have a wrench set, bring it.

Consider buying a Mechanics tool kit from Harbor Freight or somewhere else at some point. I got one for Christmas a few years ago (300 piece kit) and I keep it in the back of the truck whenever I'm going really far. Sure they may not have a lifetime warranty, but none have broken yet, and I've just added on tools from there (hub tool, etc.).

http://www.harborfreight.com/profess...kit-45951.html
This is on sale for $149 thru the 14th.

http://images.harborfreight.com/hftw...bnr2014-CJ.pdf
Old December 12th, 2014, 11:22 PM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by javelinadave View Post
This is on sale for $149 thru the 14th. http://images.harborfreight.com/hftw...bnr2014-CJ.pdf
I still use mine! So it's been good enough for my general use.
Old December 14th, 2014, 12:11 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Just ordered one. Looks like a decent complete set and beats my incoherent trail setup of various tool rolls and bags.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Old December 14th, 2014, 03:16 AM
rijosho
Joshua

Registry
It got my starter out so it has a 12mm star
Old December 14th, 2014, 06:59 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

I prefer to buy sockets sets that are more easily packed in smaller packages. Such as http://www.sears.com/craftsman-9-pc-...&blockType=G44
You can always find otherwise wasted space to store these.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old December 14th, 2014, 08:44 AM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
I'd suggest a few basic electrical tools. A test meter or test light. Some electrical connectors. Some nice wire cutters/ strippers and crimp tool. A 12v or gas soldering iron and a few scraps of wire would allow you to fix a number of issues.

Spare bulbs and fuses should be in the kit too.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
trip