Road Rage + Karma = Entertainment - Page 2 - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 28th, 2014, 12:22 AM
themaxx
Ade
94 ST

Registry
People in Ohio for the most part follow the rules. Was happy to see signs up requesting slower driver move to the right lane in Mississippi. They need to be placed everywhere.

I think some people zone out, once they get past in the right lane 80% of them move over finally. Would be great if cops start handing out tickets for those that park themselves in the left lane!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 28th, 2014, 06:10 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Here in Georgia once the governor signs the bill, you can get up to a $1000 fine for holding up traffic in the left lane.
It doesn't go far enough in IMO, but it's a start. You only have to get out of the left lane if you notice a vehicle overtaking you. Considering that 90% of drivers seem oblivious to their surroundings, I think it should be keep right except to pass.

As for the video, it's hard to tell exactly what happened, but the camera person sure was suddenly in the right lane..makes me wonder.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old March 28th, 2014, 08:00 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by rijosho View Post
Driver was going 60. Speed limit was probably 70 mph. Idiot. No wonder comments were disabled for the video on YouTube.
I would be willing to bet it was a 50 zone

------ Follow up post added March 28th, 2014 08:08 AM ------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antichrist View Post

As for the video, it's hard to tell exactly what happened, but the camera person sure was suddenly in the right lane..makes me wonder.

She was in the fast lane the whole time. When the guy hydroplaned/fishtailed he went into the left turning lane.

Old March 28th, 2014, 08:19 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Driver was going 60. Speed limit was probably 70 mph. Idiot. No wonder comments were disabled for the video on YouTube.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
I would be willing to bet it was a 50 zone
You're probably right and therein lies the problem. The guy is a tool, so not justifying his actions, however, I would speculate that she was going 60 in a 50 or 55 zone when he came up behind her at a faster rate and wanted her to move over so that he can pass. She probably thought, screw it, I'm going above the speed limit, so not moving over. Road rage employed by both and boom. We've all seen it.

Pass left and drive right is long forgotten, or never learned, by many.
Old March 28th, 2014, 08:19 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

TAMPA — A tailgating driver who spun off the road into a light pole this week was arrested Wednesday, the Florida Highway Patrol said. He also got more than 1 million views on YouTube.

Jeffrey Travis White, 33, of Tampa was tailgating another driver Monday on U.S. 41 near Gibsonton, the FHP said.
The driver he was following, Tracy Lynn Sloan of Lakeland, captured the incident, including the crash, on a cellphone video.
She turned it over to authorities and White was arrested Wednesday, based on the video and witness accounts, state troopers said.
White was driving south on U.S. 41 just north of Gibsonton Drive on Monday morning, the FHP said. White passed Sloan and flashed an obscene hand gesture, which she captured on video. He then tried to merge in front of her car but lost control of his 2008 Ford pickup.
The truck spun out, crossed over several lanes and hit a light pole. White fled the scene in his truck, FHP said.
Sloan's recording captures her own laughter as the accident unfolds. "That's what you get, all on video, buddy," she says near the end. Sloan posted the video to YouTube, along with a few paragraphs explaining her version of events.
"This pathetic excuse for a human being tailgated me for about three minutes," she wrote. "After about a minute, and me shaking my head, I pulled out my phone and started recording. I couldn't move over because there were trucks in the right lane, and I sure as heck wasn't going to speed on a rainy day with the roads being as slick as they were. …
"I've recorded circumstances like this before, catching idiots doing stupid things, but never ever had this happen."
Attempts to reach Sloan and White for comment were unsuccessful Thursday.
White faces charges of leaving the scene of a traffic crash, careless driving and failing to wear his seat belt, the patrol said.
Records show White has an arrest record that includes charges of battery and marijuana possession, mostly when he was a teen. Most recently, he was arrested in 2002 and charged with disorderly conduct. Adjudication was withheld, records show.

http://www.tampabay.com/news/publics...r-real/2172272
Old March 28th, 2014, 08:20 AM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by geoellis View Post
It's often that I just travel in the right hand lanes and move a lot faster.
I drive I95 a lot....that is all I do. Even the bloody big rigs sit in the middle lane, so often the far right is the best.
Old March 28th, 2014, 08:47 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
So from the article it appears that she does this all the time. MOVE OVER, LADY!!! I saw plenty of times where she could have moved over and let him pass - hell, even he found plenty of space to pass her - but then of course when he went to pass, she sped up...
Old March 28th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Follow up.

http://tbo.com/news/crime/tailgater-...-say-20140327/

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 28th, 2014, 09:41 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
So from the article it appears that she does this all the time. MOVE OVER, LADY!!! I saw plenty of times where she could have moved over and let him pass - hell, even he found plenty of space to pass her - but then of course when he went to pass, she sped up...
It sounds like he has some anger issues but I agree. I saw a couple times she could have moved over. And like you said she speeds up when he goes to pass her. Good ol' FL (although stuff like this can easily happen in NJ too :D )
Old March 28th, 2014, 09:41 AM
101stAirborne
Battle Ewing
1997 D90 LE 255/300

Registry
Quote:
Thank You! Finally someone said it! In most states, including Florida, it is illegal to cruise in the left lane. THE LEFT LANE IS FOR PASSING ONLY!!!!!! I would have ridden her ass too
Old March 28th, 2014, 09:53 AM
don
Don Bunnell
'86 110 3dr ST

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Douglas View Post
I had the same experience on a Harley. Was able to walk back to the bike after sliding down the road god knows how far , pick up the 700 lb fatboy (being pissed and the adrenalin of an accident is an amazing combination) and rode it home.
Yikes! I was pretty freaked when it happened and I was in the 'Burban. Must have been scary as hell on motorbike (one reason I keep to pedal bikes and in the woods). F**king badass that you rode it home after going for a road rash ride!
Old March 28th, 2014, 09:59 AM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Driver education is horrendous in this country. Our UK/Euro friends here can attest to that. My daughter just got her license a month ago. She took driver's ed at school where all they did was watch videos from time to time and drive around local neighborhoods. Come road test time it took all of 8 minutes, again on local streets. At one point the tester asked her to parallel park on a curved curb, which she struggled with, so the tester said " I guess we're not parallel parking today" and passed her anyhow. Ha.

My wife and I had done a lot of driving with her and she's pretty good for a new driver. Nevertheless, in a couple of weeks I signed her up for a Skip Barber Teen Driving Course at Lime Rock, where she'll spend the day learning defensive driving, skid recovery and the real rules of the road. I think it's money and time well spent.
Old March 28th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Antichrist
Tom Rowe
Defender/Disco/Series/MoD

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjfslaughter View Post
She was in the fast lane the whole time. When the guy hydroplaned/fishtailed he went into the left turning lane.
You're right, I missed the left turn arrow the first time.

Four wheel drive allows you to get stuck
in places even more inaccessible.

62 88 Regular
67 109 6cyl NADA x2
74 Lightweight - The Antichrist
95 DI 5-speed
95 D90 5-speed
97 D1 Automatic
Old March 28th, 2014, 11:59 AM
Nomar
Jeff B
RR HNTR,RR LWB Tdi

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101stAirborne View Post
Thank You! Finally someone said it! In most states, including Florida, it is illegal to cruise in the left lane.

Does this apply to urban city streets?
They were not on a limited access interstate.

Real Rovers have round headlights!
Rent my
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
!
Just a few miles from 4x4 access!
Old March 28th, 2014, 12:01 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomar View Post
Does this apply to urban city streets? They were not on a limited access interstate. .
That thought crossed my mind. If you notice after the guy fish tailed she pulled to the left, in another left turning lane. 41 is a highway that goes from Florida to Michigan but she was in a sub-urban area

Based on her laugh at the end I bet she was egging him on at some point.
Old March 28th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Quote:
Driver education is horrendous in this country. Our UK/Euro friends here can attest to that. My daughter just got her license a month ago. She took driver's ed at school where all they did was watch videos from time to time and drive around local neighborhoods. Come road test time it took all of 8 minutes, again on local streets. At one point the tester asked her to parallel park on a curved curb, which she struggled with, so the tester said " I guess we're not parallel parking today" and passed her anyhow. Ha.

My wife and I had done a lot of driving with her and she's pretty good for a new driver. Nevertheless, in a couple of weeks I signed her up for a Skip Barber Teen Driving Course at Lime Rock, where she'll spend the day learning defensive driving, skid recovery and the real rules of the road. I think it's money and time well spent.
Believe it or not, Mass does a ton more than that. Sure there are several nights of Video classes, then the computer test for the learners permit, then 30 or so hours of driving and watching someone else drive (while you check FB I presume) and six months of driving before you can take the test.
Tons better than the English test system I had.

I don't know about the brakes, only their unreliability.
Old March 28th, 2014, 12:32 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

Recently I've been getting honked at for merging into traffic from the acceleration lane. Never mind that I'm going faster than they are with 3 or more car lengths on them.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old March 28th, 2014, 12:38 PM
geoellis
George
1995 D90 #2904 - BB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocky View Post
Believe it or not, Mass does a ton more than that. Sure there are several nights of Video classes, then the computer test for the learners permit, then 30 or so hours of driving and watching someone else drive (while you check FB I presume) and six months of driving before you can take the test.
Tons better than the English test system I had.
Yes, similar in NY, but it's by no means comprehensive. Plus, if the parents are crappy drivers and don't know or care about the rules or etiquette, then so will the kid.
Old March 28th, 2014, 12:56 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
I actually was a 'sponsor' for a 33 year old having to take his test in MA again due to having a lapsed license for more than 6 years (or something) long story short he failed, here's why:

Now in MA they have a list of things you have to do (parallel park, back up in a straight line, ect ect). He failed because he backed up too fast (I was cringing as he did it), didn't do it in a straight line (on account of the speed) then didn't use his signals when he pulled over and rejoined traffic.

It was much more empirical then when I took it with a state cop. I didn't even parallel park in my test.
Old March 28th, 2014, 01:51 PM
DMSLongLake
Dave Sherwood
1994 D90 ST

Registry
Quote:
Nevertheless, in a couple of weeks I signed her up for a Skip Barber Teen Driving Course at Lime Rock, where she'll spend the day learning defensive driving, skid recovery and the real rules of the road. I think it's money and time well spent.
Plan on the same thing with my daughter. I was at driving school in Vegas a number of years ago and we drove Z3s. One of the students was sent by her father as a requirement to get the keys of the Z3 he bought he for a college graduation present. Pretty cool dad on both accounts...

Current Rovers:
1994 D-90 ST #734
2006 LR3
2016 RRS

Past Rovers:
1997 Disco I
1988 Range Rover 40th Anniversary
1999 Disco II
1995 D-90 ST #2731
1997 Range Rover 4.6 HSE Vitesse
2003 Range Rover HSE
2008 RRS