Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old July 19th, 2004, 03:19 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Rig registration...

I've been seeing a lot of grey market or "other" trucks come in recently and I had a few questions about this. It seems most get a valid VIN but usually that of another LR, like a disco/rangie or something else. I was curious about what kind of liability your looking at with a truck that is given a legal VIN but registered as a different truck. If any liability.

I would assume your liable from an insurance standpoint. Meaning, you get in an accident and they find out, then you get left holding the bag.

However I see it the other way. Meaning the state or Fed's issued the VIN and vehicle classification so what they tell you to register it under has to remain valid.

Does anyone have any background info on this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 19th, 2004, 05:11 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

If the insurance will cover it, its insured as the year model the vin is for. So if you spend $50,000 on custom building a D110 on a '94 Disco VIN and frame, you are only covered for the value of a '94 Disco. However, you could see if your insurance company will insure it "replacement cost" value. Your premuim is much higher and I am not sure what you will have to do to show that's what the truck is worth but the premise is, if the truck would cost you $50,000 to replace and can legitimatly show that, you can insure it for $50,000. But like I said, expect to get thrashed on the payments. I was goin gto insure my Disco this way and the quote for my rate jumped 6X.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old July 20th, 2004, 09:15 AM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Thanks Chris. That was very close to my understanding of values. Of course your never going to get replacement value back unless your paying the big $$ for it.

I guess you kind of answered my question. That if the insurer covers the truck, regardless of the discrepancy between what they list it as and what it actually is (for instance a grey market 110 listed as a rangie), that they are on the hook for coverage regardless. Is that accurate?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old July 20th, 2004, 09:41 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Yes if they give you a regular policy on the VIN, they are only required to cover it as what the VIN is supposed to be. So in your example, a grey market 110 that cost you say $30,000, is titled as a 1989 Rangie because of the VIN, if you total it, you will only get paid out as a 1989 Rangie.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat