RhinoPro Flooring Solution - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 22nd, 2004, 12:11 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

RhinoPro Flooring Solution

I'm thinking of purchasing the RhinoPro flooring for the D90, well I'm almost there...
http://www.offroadtuff.com/D90LRNA90FSRR.htm

which I believe is the manufacturer link, and the only other link I found was:

http://www.4x4ag.com

they're in NJ, and at least have a phone # on their website. Just called & spoke to someone and they told me that they've had a few calls on this lately and may submit a 'special' to the D90 Source. I'm hoping they come down a little on the price because it's about $360 plus shipping, which is $55 to a business address or $75 to a residential address.

Has anyone had any experience with the RhinoFloor solution ?
(Yes, I know... get a couple of plywood boards & throw 'er up there.... BUZZ... nope, can't do that, I need this or something like it).

AND is anyone interested ?

Just wondering.

Thanks

N

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2004, 02:19 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Update:

The guy called me back and says they're going to do a D90 Source Special
for $325.

N

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old December 22nd, 2004, 03:14 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Nick, their were several posts either on EE's site or on Dweb from Koby that showed how the flooring warps under heat from the sun.

I was thinking of getting this flooring too back in the summer until I saw that.

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it for you: http://www.discoweb.org/forums/showt...=roof+flooring

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 22nd, 2004, 03:34 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Dave,

Yeah, I saw that but what the hell... supposedly that guy didn't use the correct clamps... who knows... I need something up there. We'll see how it goes.

This is from that post ...

----

It seems Craig that you failed to mention a couple of things. I spoke to Ron, the product manager at Off Road Tuff and he had this to say in regards to your undesirable warping.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Darwish

The flooring will not warp. The issue you see on Craig’s truck is the result of using improper clamps not designed for the flooring. Like any other material when exposed to the heat of the sun all day it will expand slightly. The difference with the RhinoPro flooring is that when it does expand it does not exert outward pressure like aluminum or most metals. Instead the flooring will bow if the clamps do not allow for the expansion, mainly if the vehicle is parked in the sun all day . Nonetheless, the flooring will return to normal as soon as the vehicle moves or the noon sun passes and will not suffer any damage.

Anyhow as I mentioned, if you notice Craig is using his own clamping system which is not designed for the flooring. He requested a custom flooring from us (without the cut out holes) and did not want to use our clamp system as he had his own method he wanted to use for some reason. Using the clamps supplied with the flooring (pictured below) will allow for the slight expansion without the problem Craig is having. I would also like to mention that Graig has never contacted us regarding any problem he had with the flooring and this is the first time we heard of this complaint from him. Nonetheless Craig is still using the flooring as recent as last weekend, so I'm personally not sure why we have not heard from him.

The RhinoPro flooring is being used in climates such as the hot Florida sun to the New York winters and not to forget the Nevada desert with no problems. Also we use it on our trucks here in California. So all said this is not some shady product we boast, it is a truly durable high quality product that deserves its name.

N

Old December 22nd, 2004, 03:51 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Yeah, I just re-read that. I don't recall seeing the manufacturers statement.

It's a great flooring idea. The other option I was going to pursue was to get some 5 bar DP up there with some marine conduit clamps. I have one piece of 4' square 5 bar, I'm waiting on another piece.

Old December 22nd, 2004, 04:04 PM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Dave,

Yeah, too funny right...
If you read down more on that post it says that others have done it as well.
I called & cancelled my order.

Thanks for the heads up.

Regardless of whether or not if 'bends back' into place 'after the noon sun' has moved... I don't want it ever bowing like that... especially for that kind of money.

N

Old December 22nd, 2004, 06:55 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
95 DI SR Extreme Kit - 94 RRC LWB
D-90 Source Vendor

The only problem with the flooring is that it needs a few more clamps in key areas. CVC saw the flooring on my Disco during the summer (on the hottest day of the year) and pointed out a few spots where they should've drilled holes and added some d-clamps. Other than that it's fine, less noise and pretty light (40 lbs).
Old December 24th, 2004, 10:00 AM
norros
Nicholas Orros
1995 NAS D90 SW

Summer in NY ? and it was still bowed ?

I don't think it would handle the 'test of time' down here in Tallahassee... I love the look though.

N

Old December 24th, 2004, 10:12 AM
Chris Cox
Chris Cox
94 D90 SW, 300tdi

I would think a better solution would be to just get a 1/2" or 3/4" piece of treated plywood and have it coated with Line-X. That is what Safety-Devices does.
Old December 24th, 2004, 12:55 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

Actually it was in PA and it felt like 100+ that day. Again, the problem is that they should've added 4 to 6 more clamps in key spots.... BTW, I keep all my rovers outside (since I don't have a garage). I'll get some pics of my flooring so you can see for yourself if it's noticeable or not.

For the D90 it's probably a better idea to get a piece of plywood (like Chris mentioned) since it's a flat rack. The Rhino floor really works well on the Discos with the SD rack. It eliminates some noise and is pretty light.
Old December 24th, 2004, 04:53 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

The Rhino product would benifit greatly from about 20 clamps all over the suface area and would most likely prevent the warping. As John pointed out, I got up close look at his on the worst day of the summer for us and even with the suggested amount of clamps from Rhino, it was by far, way under-secured. I dont care what they say, it needs more securing, end of discussion and better placed clamping.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old December 28th, 2004, 10:04 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

For what it's worth, I have an expanded metal floor on my roof rack. I got it cut to fit from a metal supplier in tampa, and painted it black with rustoleum. They make it in 4x8 sheets, so the width is perfect for the D90. I just had them cut the length back to fit. I used a bunch of black wire ties to secure it, although I remember on Dweb I think someone welded it to a Disco rack. It's easy to install, and I can still use bungie cords whereever I need (I never even cutout holes). I've had several people walking on it at a time so it's strong, I keep my tire up there too, it looks great I think, and it was cheap. I think < $50 (it was few years ago so I don't remember clearly, and I think steel has gone up, but still). I think it's the perfect roofrack flooring. Just my $.02.
Old December 29th, 2004, 11:38 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Yes.. that was my write up on Dweb with the welded expanded metal flooring on the disco.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old December 29th, 2004, 11:41 AM
souza
Dave Souza
1995 Defender 90 SW #275

LOL, well written Chris!
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:15 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

Is this rhino company done?
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:47 PM
JohnC
Giampaulo Cinquegrana
D-90 Source Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
Is this rhino company done?
Yep.
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:51 PM
bjf
barry f
94 ST #395

figures. looks nice for sure.
Old January 19th, 2010, 07:56 PM
smob
Steve
'97 Arles Blue SW #2131

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjf View Post
figures. looks nice for sure.
Anyone had any experience with this rack flooring/vendor?

http://roverracks.com/king_xl.htm

A bit steep at $450. But if someone would vouch that it's worth the money, I might consider it.

There's probably a product opportunity here.. for someone.. hint.. hint..
Old January 19th, 2010, 11:09 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Not sure but the DII picture on the right is of chicken coop flooring...
Old January 20th, 2010, 12:31 AM
jaygoss
Jay Goss
'60 Series II Station Wagon

yep- chicken coop flooring seems to be a commonly used flooring solution. Here's what another D90 member pm'd me when I asked him about flooring on his rig:

Now on the Floor: Hope you are seating down, because the flooring is nothing but NON OVERLAPPING CHICKEN COOP FLORRING available at farmtek .

I used 5 pieces and I think it is $ 18.00 a piece. They were tied to the Rack via HD zip ties available at any Electonics hardware store

I'm going to try it- lightweight, non-corrosive, easy and CHEAP!!!!
1971 SIIa SWB (sold)
2000 Disco SII (sold)
1995 RR Classic SWB TWR edition (sold)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat