Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old May 21st, 2014, 06:42 PM
UTRPh
Danny V
94 D90 #1260

Registry
Rhino-lining. Yay or Nay?

Saw a bunch replies advising against Rhino-lining. I would've thought it'd be a good thing if done right. Comments please cause i had this on the to-do way-down-the-road list.
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2014, 06:46 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Your truck, your choice.
I say yes and plan on doing so but I will remover the front floor panels, etc and coat them separately so they can be easily remover if needed down the road.
Old May 21st, 2014, 06:52 PM
Uncle Douglas
Doug Crowther
A defender in every driveway-motto
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I had the floor plates of my 130 done with Line X. Don't think I would do a complete body tub but that is a personal preference thing.

Dividing Creek Imports
Worldwide Vehicle Shipment and Importation Service
Restoration & Modification work

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old May 21st, 2014, 06:56 PM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
2x what Dave just said. My truck's being rebuilt right now, and I've had the interior torn to pieces and Raptor-lined (just a different brand). I'd recommend that you thoroughly document the condition before and the prep, just in case you ever decide to sell. Some people use to cover up problems, while others (myself included) use to increase interior durability and rust prevention. I will note that I haven't yet driven the final product nor tested it in real life. But it looks like a good choice so far. But prep is everything. I can't imagine what I'd do if it started flaking off....leaving me without the benefits and the task of removing it.
Old May 21st, 2014, 10:09 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Paging Rij Osho to Misc. Chit-Chat. -Jeff
He's immobile having open radiator surgery on the rhino lined monster ... Anyway he can only comment on living with it not the choice to have it done.
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old May 21st, 2014, 10:20 PM
Holiday
Ross Simpson
1995 D90 ST/2006 D3 HSE7

Registry
I personally wouldn't buy a truck that had been Linex'd or Rhino lined for one reason- it's nearly irreversible.
Old May 21st, 2014, 10:26 PM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
I personally wouldn't buy a truck that had been Linex'd or Rhino lined for one reason- it's nearly irreversible.
Guess you won't be buying my new 110. I'm line-xing the interior and part of the firewall!

Semper Fi!
Old May 21st, 2014, 10:59 PM
SonnyAK
Sonny
1993 NAS 110

Registry
Nay for me! Like others stated, many have hidden major issues using Linex and Rhino Lining too much in the past, so I immediately think of trouble...

I know a lot of guys use it for the extreme durability, so that's great if you never plan to sell, or it's sold to someone that really likes it for that reason.

I think it cuts the resale market at least in half, or more, so I wouldn't do it for that reason alone...
Old May 21st, 2014, 11:06 PM
Daddymow
Raub A.
1987 D110 Tithonus

Registry
Rhino Lining belongs in the bed of a pick-up truck.
Old May 21st, 2014, 11:20 PM
Roverenvy
Michael
1994 Defender 90

Registry
These are glorified tractors, so……….

And I agree, I'd give second thought to buying a truck with extensive lining, UNLESS there was a lot of documentation so you knew what condition it was underneath, and it was done while disassembled.
Old May 22nd, 2014, 12:09 AM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holiday View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddymow View Post
Rhino Lining belongs in the bed of a pick-up truck.
There you have it. I'm also in the no-Rhino-lining camp. A lot of people are. If you line your truck, you're eliminating potential buyers when it's time to sell.

/
/
/
/
Old May 22nd, 2014, 01:36 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I think lining kills the value of a NAS or Series truck, but can add to the value of a documented build (or so I hope). It also has it's place in a trail truck.

I am building a brand new 110 from the ground up and plan on lining the interior and part of the firewall primarily for sound and heat deadening, and because I am not going to have any carpet in the truck. It has to be done right though...

Semper Fi!
Old May 22nd, 2014, 07:47 AM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Way nay for me too. But I understand it might be a quick fix for a POS.

This reminds me of a 110 I saw a few months back. The whole outside and most of the inside was lined. Even the wheels i think were lined. Poor guy was having trouble with his 300tdi and it had just been delivered. He bought off eBay from someone in Fla.

Clay

Old May 24th, 2014, 12:47 AM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
Correct me if i am wrong (and i know that i am often wrong!) but isn't line-x preferable to rhinolining?

Regardless, one part of the 90 that i actually think would be worth line-xing are the flat aluminum panels where your feet go. They receive the most wear on a no-carpet truck.
Old May 24th, 2014, 01:06 AM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I think you're correct on the line-x. There are alot of really cheap liners out there that literally rub off. Line-X and Rhino are the two best IMO.
Old May 24th, 2014, 07:50 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
If done properly on non-rusted body parts, it can help to preserve and protect, as well as muffle some road noises. If done properly, said body parts can also be removed quite easily. These defenders came with plastic and rubber wrappings that covered so much of the interior, that if you had something like one of those single-piece interior rubber moldings that Exmoore sells for the Trans/footwells/seatbox, most people wouldn't even notice any rhinolining. Add the rear Loadspace mat in the back on top and most people would be none-the-wiser.
Old May 29th, 2014, 10:44 AM
UTRPh
Danny V
94 D90 #1260

Registry
Alternatives

When I got EWR's sub-woofer box I got sprayed with Ultra-liner, a Rhino-line type liner at a local off-road shop. Only real difference he said was when drilled Rhino- spirals, Ultra- powders. They also had Safe-floor, safe-floor.com , a colored, re-cycled rubber b-b pellet product that gets troweled on. He said they had been applying on lots of boats and off-road/hunting vehicles. Cheaper, more versatile, cooler AND can be repaired very easily. Damaged area gets cut out, then re-applied. Anybody have any experience with this?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat