Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old December 10th, 2015, 01:03 AM
EnzoGSD
KP
None

RHD.. in a Tithonus?

Hey everyone-

I'm coming back over to the dark side. My first LR was a D2. Ended up letting it go and have regretted the decision ever since.

I'm looking to purchase a Tithonus RHD. My question, how's it to drive one on a regular basis? Is it just one giant blind spot that you get used to or are there other tips you can send my way?

Cheers,

Kunal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2015, 01:14 AM
javelinadave
-
-

The gigantic blind spot is whole other story.
Old December 10th, 2015, 02:50 AM
Elbee
Lance
1989 110 200tdi

Registry
Passing and over taking is the only issue i ever have in rhd vehicles. You just bring along your significant other or a friend as a spotter! But if you have the 2.5N/A in the truck you wont h ave to worry about passing very much.

I have thought about hooking up a reversing camera into the left fender and have it broadcast when my left blinker is on or something like that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old December 10th, 2015, 06:24 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Convex mirror?
Old December 10th, 2015, 06:42 AM
solarguy
Abraham Bell
1985 Defender 110 Tithonus
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
If you are looking for a truck I might be able to help. Shoot me a PM
Old December 10th, 2015, 07:16 AM
steinhnj
Neil Steinhagen
1990 Perentie GS

You can get glass added to the hard top. This cost me $500. I just dropped off the top with some rough lines drawn on the outside and picked it up a week later.

I also added a Series wing mirror to the top of the right wing (before the glass was added, and I have a LHD) as an additional safety precaution. In your case, you'd add it to the left wing. It bolts right on to the antenna box mount - no drilling required.

Soft top for the summer.

And Abe helped me get my truck. A big thumbs up for Abe!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	glass.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	508.1 KB
ID:	136672  
Old December 10th, 2015, 07:23 AM
Rocky
Chris
72 + D1 drivetrain

Tollbooths and drive through's are the biggest issues. But you get used to reversing through them....
Old December 10th, 2015, 08:38 AM
JohnsD90
John
74 SIII 88", 88 110, 91 110

Registry
You can also get a Tithonus right from the uk auctions. Or just find someone who has been sitting on theirs for a while and is willing to unload it.
Old December 10th, 2015, 12:17 PM
Ncrover725
Bobby
1985 110

Registry
I think Safarihp has a RHD for sale
1998 D1 (Sold)
1971 109 3 Door (Sold)
Old December 10th, 2015, 12:33 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Its like driving any other car really. Blind spots are just on opposite sides. Biggest thing is working the gear shift, after driving for a solid hour or two youll be use to it. Just get use to not getting anywhere fast or having anything equivalent to modern acceleration. Pedals are in the same position from Rh to Lh sides.
Old December 10th, 2015, 01:10 PM
mmgcny
Michael
None

I drove RHD in Ireland - took about 5 minutes to get used to the stick in the left hand. But that was RHD in an RHD country, so not entirely the same as an RHD here.

Question - Why is overtaking in a RHD any different than LHD? In my LHD I have merged right before.
Old December 10th, 2015, 01:19 PM
ontheway
Dave
1986 RHD 110 SW OM617

Registry
Driving RHD is not a big deal. At all. You get used to it in minutes and never think about it again. Living with it is another story.

I live on a military installation - so going through the gate is a huge pain. This is especially bad in the winter because I have to stop prior to the gate, unbuckle and lean past my cubby to hand crank the left window. Drive throughs a are a no-go but who needs that junk anyway. Tolls aren't bad if you have an ez pass.

I wouldn't want to have a RHD vehicle with no rear windows. Merges and abnormal intersections would potentially be very difficult to safely navigate without taking a leap of faith. Regardless of Windows, Some left hand turns across multiple lands of traffic can be hazardous if your view is blocked by the opposing traffic's turn lane. A left hand seat affords a driver the ability to see oncoming traffic with less obstruction. Not a big deal, just take less risks.

Old December 10th, 2015, 01:21 PM
NPT90
JT
D90 óriginalé

Registry
The windows are a must, I turn around and check my blind spot through them, but agree with previous posts, its really a non-starter.

I enjoy RHD personally, and to be fair I don't really spend great lengths of time in my 90 except on weeks and when I am out and about doing things that it really doesn't matter. Even with the 300 TDI I don't overtake all that often (maybe its the 34" tires) but when I do those extra windows make all the difference.

I also have a pair of those little blind spot mirrors in but there aren't that may blind spots when you have 5 windows in the back.
Old December 10th, 2015, 01:22 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
You want some good mirrors at least. You can still get screwed at corners that are on oblique angles without a blind spot window but most places are okay with blind spot mirrors...

MUD Blind Spot Mirror

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.
Old December 10th, 2015, 01:24 PM
javelinadave
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmgcny View Post
Question - Why is overtaking in a RHD any different than LHD? In my LHD I have merged right before.
LOL, it's not a RHD/LHD issue. It's a 68 horsepower issue.
Old December 10th, 2015, 01:49 PM
mmgcny
Michael
None

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSBriggs View Post
Think two lane road, going around a slow truck. You cant see through it, so you hug the center line and look for oncoming traffic. In a RHD you would have to be fully committed to be able to see around the truck. You can hug the fog line and look around the right side of the truck, but its a little more unnerving.

But that is all theoretical with an NA diesel. you wont be passing anyone. you are the truck that gets passed.

-Jeff
Gotcha - I was thinking highway. Not many two land roads here on Long Island where they allow overtaking. And yeah - the only one you are passing in a 2.5 NA is probably a piece of farm equipment.
Old December 10th, 2015, 02:22 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
I live on a military installation - so going through the gate is a huge pain. This is especially bad in the winter because I have to stop prior to the gate, unbuckle and lean past my cubby to hand crank the left window.
You need one of these:

http://www.amazon.com/Safari-Great-W.../dp/B000BNENMM

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
/
/
Old December 10th, 2015, 03:21 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheway View Post
Driving RHD is not a big deal. At all. You get used to it in minutes and never think about it again. Living with it is another story.

I live on a military installation - so going through the gate is a huge pain. This is especially bad in the winter because I have to stop prior to the gate, unbuckle and lean past my cubby to hand crank the left window. Drive throughs a are a no-go but who needs that junk anyway. Tolls aren't bad if you have an ez pass.

I wouldn't want to have a RHD vehicle with no rear windows. Merges and abnormal intersections would potentially be very difficult to safely navigate without taking a leap of faith. Regardless of Windows, Some left hand turns across multiple lands of traffic can be hazardous if your view is blocked by the opposing traffic's turn lane. A left hand seat affords a driver the ability to see oncoming traffic with less obstruction. Not a big deal, just take less risks.
Go all in

https://jet.com/product/detail/2454d...JmoaApFK8P8HAQ
Old December 10th, 2015, 03:36 PM
WBSurfer
Chris
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Wow. Never knew something like that existed. Anyone have experience with these if they actually work or not? Seems cheap for getting such an obvious improvement.
Old December 10th, 2015, 03:40 PM
Red90
John B.
1991 Defender 90, 200TDI
Site Team

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Not going to help someone with an ex-MOD truck....as per the subject of this thread.

Land Rover. Turning owners into mechanics since 1948.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
rhd, tithonus