Resume services? - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 8th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Resume services?

Looking for referrals for resume services. For a variety of reasons it's time to move on and I could use some help tuning my resume (and culling it down to a reasonable throw weight). Has anyone used one and been happy with the product?

thanks,
Tony

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2014, 02:32 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

Are you moving to Tejas?
Old January 8th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

We're actually very open to relocation.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 8th, 2014, 02:39 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

I need someone for "Sales Team Research"...the good news is minimum wage is going up....lol. Are the wife and kids going? Seriously though...we might need to have a small discussion...
Old January 8th, 2014, 02:42 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Always happy to help!

Old January 8th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abrooks View Post
We're actually very open to relocation.
Amazing what the weather in DC will do to ya!! Good luck mate...general rule of thumb with these is to make sure you are concise and the resume matches as close as possible to the applied for position.

let me know if I can help at all.
Old January 8th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Hardtimes
Russell Newhall
110dc, 110sw, 97 nas90 LE

Registry
Tony, if you put one together and email it to me, I would be happy to have it reviewed/edited for you. If you are unsure of where to start, send me a Pm and what field you are likely to want to stay in and I will get you a good idea of the basics.
Old January 8th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Thanks, I may take you up in that!

Old January 8th, 2014, 06:50 PM
Bill Larson
Bill Larson
97 D90 SW

you should peruse some of the resume's on Linkdin...
Old January 8th, 2014, 06:58 PM
leastonce
Jason England
D-90 White 95 SW #65
Site Team

Registry
There are 2 consumers of resumes machines and humans. You have to get passed machine systems so make sure that aspect is optimized. Then you need it to differentiate from everyone else's. Think about the reader and building the understanding for a brief scan how you would add value / perform in the role on their mind.

I see gazillions of 'list' CV's saying what people have done. Very few capture what they could do for me.

And any spelling, grammar, punctuation mistake and it's in the trash ...

The best resume is a relationship ... Build contacts and networks in the field and location as quickly as possible. Most jobs never get advertised!
Cat Camping Collective founding member and Chief Executive Officer
Old January 8th, 2014, 07:06 PM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Very good points, thanks! The funny thing is that I do a fair amount of hiring, it's just much harder to take an analytical eye to your own experience.

Old January 8th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Tony,

There is not a SINGLE resume for multiple JOBS

Each resume ( as Jason pointed - and I can't believe I am agreeing with Mr. Liberal *LOL* ) it is essential to obtain the recipient desire to pass the Cover page.

Your cover page has to point your experience in few words as well as the added value you will be to the Team.

Be very familiar with your Target, it is of the essence to show you have made a very educated choice to pursue your career with the potential employer.

The cover letter is a summary of what is behind, be very specific , brief, assertive and always obtain the name of the recipient, Dear Sir / Madam is a guaranteed filing in the Circular filing cabinet ( trash can )

Please do not fall for the for the " 5 " resume suicide, and remember while chronological, advancement and experience might make you the chosen candidate over others, a long boring resume will make the other candidate a " selected one ".

Become very familiar with the differences between Chronological - Functional and Hybrid as that will have to be your focus .

While keywords / punchlines open some doors, they equally remove the attention of the recipient.

Let me know if I could help
Old January 8th, 2014, 07:54 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Gustavo - did you use speeel check for once hehe
Old January 8th, 2014, 08:43 PM
chris snell
Chris Snell
87 Ex-MOD 110

Tony, what is your line of work?

/
/
/
/
Old January 8th, 2014, 08:47 PM
sonoronos
Ed
None

Registry
If you want me to download and send you reqs based on keywords / locations, let me know. I can also submit on your behalf.
Old January 8th, 2014, 10:33 PM
Rugbier
Gustavo
110 Tdi - 110 N/A - D3 HSE - RRS SC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonesy View Post
Gustavo - did you use speeel check for once hehe

Craig, you are such a Wank Stain mate
Old January 8th, 2014, 10:59 PM
Jonesy
Craig
87 D110 (Ruby)

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Craig, you are such a Wank Stain mate
That is fucking brilliant.....a wank stain!,,,,,

LMFAO..... Thanks mate
Old January 8th, 2014, 11:48 PM
ArmyRover
Bill Ski
83 110 "Frankenstein"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugbier View Post
Tony,

There is not a SINGLE resume for multiple JOBS

Each resume ( as Jason pointed - and I can't believe I am agreeing with Mr. Liberal *LOL* ) it is essential to obtain the recipient desire to pass the Cover page.

Your cover page has to point your experience in few words as well as the added value you will be to the Team.

Be very familiar with your Target, it is of the essence to show you have made a very educated choice to pursue your career with the potential employer.

The cover letter is a summary of what is behind, be very specific , brief, assertive and always obtain the name of the recipient, Dear Sir / Madam is a guaranteed filing in the Circular filing cabinet ( trash can )

Please do not fall for the for the " 5 " resume suicide, and remember while chronological, advancement and experience might make you the chosen candidate over others, a long boring resume will make the other candidate a " selected one ".

Become very familiar with the differences between Chronological - Functional and Hybrid as that will have to be your focus .

While keywords / punchlines open some doors, they equally remove the attention of the recipient.

Let me know if I could help

I'm going to have you help me write mine when I retire.

Unknown Author

716-898-8153
Old January 9th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I've had to review literally 1000s of resumes, screen, write interview questions, interview, and make hiring decisions. I'm happy to help. More than 2 pages, bad grammar and spelling, and unprofessional email addresses (chocolatebutt27@gmail.com comes to mind) immediately end up in the rejected pile.

Semper Fi!
Old January 9th, 2014, 08:24 AM
Abrooks
Tony Brooks

Chris: I've been in some flavor of competitive intelligence and strategy consulting for most of my career. The emphasis over the last 5 years has been as a fed and as a fed contractor in the Energy sector , though I've dabbled in a slew of agencies (GSA, USACE, DOS, even [gasp] CBP). I also have a consulting business on the side doing strategy and business research work in the private sector and, of course, the seat cover/sheepskin business on the other side. I stay busy.

The issue is resolving all of this into a cohesive theme that can be modified to each specific position just as Goose discussed. First cut of the new resume was WAY too long and the bubble got lost far too easily.

I'm interviewing a resume consultant on Friday, she comes highly reccomended so fingers are crossed.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
service