Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 15th, 2012, 04:03 PM
Whidbey
Chris
86' 110

Registry
respect

Here is my rant : don't post your stuff for sale and then not return your pm's. When you post on other threads, it leads me to believe that you have seen my pm and don't give a shi*. Hail to the high and mighty!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2012, 05:13 PM
aosias
Alexandra
1995 D90

Registry
Ouch man. Maybe you shouldn't assume someone is disrespectful and follow up with them before you through this out. Something like a fan shroud may actually take some creativity.

A follow up with the person may be more appropriate than a bitchy thread.
Old March 15th, 2012, 05:53 PM
texrover
Jason
71 SIIA, 03 RR, 94 D90 (PO), 83 110

Registry
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whidbey View Post
Here is my rant : don't post your stuff for sale and then not return your pm's. When you post on other threads, it leads me to believe that you have seen my pm and don't give a shi*. Hail to the high and mighty!
patience, grasshopper!

think of it as a lay-away plan....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 15th, 2012, 06:23 PM
Whidbey
Chris
86' 110

Registry
Good advice point taken
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:15 PM
broadstone
Chris
'84 CSW 90 '74 NADA III '97 CSW 110

Registry
Off topic yes (sorry) but still relevant to the title of this thread. Why do doctors offices have you make appointments, then make you wait for lengthy periods of time. In my case an hour and a half waiting for an MRI, and another hour wait for a doctors appointment this week. They never apologise and would certainly have something to say if you are late. Any doctors around here on the forum that can explain? Is it like airlines that just overbook to ensure they make as much money as possible for the day?
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:38 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Get new doctors. I don't have that problem. Most of the time they see me early. That's x rays, mri's, pt, etc. I don't have time to put up with that shit.

I can guarantee if you walked out after a 10 min grace period they would be calling you looking for your insurance companies money and your copayment. That's when you tell them to pack sand.
Old March 15th, 2012, 07:53 PM
RedD90
JNH
'97 D90

Ohip.

Ha ha! I can't use capital letters on here. Who thought that one up?
Old March 15th, 2012, 08:04 PM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by broadstone View Post
Off topic yes (sorry) but still relevant to the title of this thread. Why do doctors offices have you make appointments, then make you wait for lengthy periods of time. In my case an hour and a half waiting for an MRI, and another hour wait for a doctors appointment this week. They never apologise and would certainly have something to say if you are late. Any doctors around here on the forum that can explain? Is it like airlines that just overbook to ensure they make as much money as possible for the day?
$$$$, doctors get paid by the patient, so the more they see, the more they make. Also, while most conditions can be quickly identified, there are the cases that take longer. Plus you have to throw in time for them to bullshit with pretty nurses and use the little boys/girls room.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old March 15th, 2012, 09:29 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by roverguy View Post
$$$$, doctors get paid by the patient, so the more they see, the more they make. Also, while most conditions can be quickly identified, there are the cases that take longer. Plus you have to throw in time for them to bullshit with pretty nurses and use the little boys/girls room.
You guys have it all wrong. It does not take that long to bullshit with the pretty nurses

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:35 PM
ukoffroad
Chuck Yarbrough
67 IIA

My kids pediatrician is on the nose, no fooling around or making me wait. Same with my GP. When my youngest was having tests at UVA medical for some kidney issues it was FOREVER waiting with a howling baby. Good doctors but ridiculous scheduling. Scans in one building, reading the results and sonograms in another building. Made me nuts, but thankfully she is healthy.
Old March 15th, 2012, 10:36 PM
Stormer
JP
2008 RRSC

Registry
Because our healthcare system sucks balls. It's bankrupt because every participant is out to screw each other and get what they think they are entitled to from the unions to the insurers to the providers with ultimately the patients taking it up the ass in terms of crappy overpriced service. Needs to be ripped down to the foundation and rebuilt using a customer focused business model.
Old March 15th, 2012, 11:05 PM
El Solis
Chris Solis
Camel Trophy 110 sorta :)

As a surgeon here is my take on being late: there are many reasons that you can't plan for. People are late but expect to be seen, this screws everyone. People are referred for one thing simple but then you figure out they have some really horrible condition and you get to break the news to them. People come in with a 100 questions because they googled something and now want to know why you aren't going to do xyz for them like google said. You can't tell them that the 13 years of training and education you have plus the x years of experience is why you aren't going to do xyz because they will have their lawyer call you. Also I have to explain to people all the risks of surgery in an "informed consent". So I have 30 minutes to introduce myself, talk to you about why you are seeing me, explain all the risks, benefits, and alternatives to the surgery you need/want (although it took me years to learn all the bad shit that can happen with an operation I am expected to get your average Joe to know all this in less than 30 min). Now before people talk about more patients more money, I work for Kaiser so I am salaried and don't care how many people I see.

With that said, I still take the time to apologize when I am late and always let the patient know that I have all the time they need for their appointment. So there. Oh and just so people know before I start hearing all the stories about Kaiser, I know all of them and the Kaiser of today is not the Kaiser of 10 years ago. today kaiser is a leader in healthcare not just in outcomes but in prevention and to get a job as a kaiser doc you have to be in the top 10% of the nations physicians to even get an interview.

So be on time, let me just do my job and take care of you and yes, bad shit happens in surgery deal with it. Oh yeah, hang the lawyers
Old March 16th, 2012, 01:26 AM
nikojo
John
D90 SW -- 2.8PS

I love hearing this stuff. I try not to take it personally. Here's my rant.......enjoy.

I would first caution anyone to be careful making statements like some of the ones here.........just make you sound like your ignorant. I get that there are stereotypes and generalizations but try to be a little more intelligent and not make ASSumptions. I can rant on a lot of topics like airlines, cops, priests, teachers, government/city workers.........but I try to give most people the benefit of the doubt and try not to assume the worst. Try not to be so cynical.......you may be a happier person for it.

When we schedule patients we are working from "averages". The problem is there are people who suck up ridiculous amounts of time for different reasons, different educational backgrounds (take longer to understand what's wrong with them and what can be done), different severity of problems, doctor shopping, etc.

BIGGEST reason is there are many, many patients who state they have an "emergency" and "have to be seen" right away. Unfortunately these people abuse the system. If we scheduled to allow for all these variances, you would have to wait 8 weeks or longer to be seen!!! Then what??

I have wait times of 2-3 hours sometimes, yet RARELY get a complaint. You know why? I NEVER let a patient leave until they've had their problem addressed and questions answered. They crave it and come back and recommend me to others. And I STILL have a wait time of 6-8 weeks to see me. I'm not proud of it, but it is the law of supply and demand.

Next time you're waiting for your doctor, think about the fact that he'll likely see you or your family the next time you have an urgency and not make you wait 6-8 weeks. Next time you get "added on" to the schedule think about the other people you are essentially going to "bump" in the schedule. I doubt you will.

I was in the office tonight until 7:30 because an 8 year old had her finger caught in a door and the family didn't want to go to the ER. I started at 6:30 this morning. You think I did that for the money??

If you think it's bad here, go to other countries and see how they do it?? Seeing doctors by zip code? Very limited days and hours?? No consideration for "referrals"?? Limited access to procedures with "mandates" on necessity, etc. This country is about to find out the hard way.........you get what you pay for.

If you think it's about the money, you don't know anything. The difference between the addition of 10 more patients in a day is negligible. Most of us do it because "it's what we do". My reimbursement has gone down EACH and EVERY year.........has yours??? I doubt it, most people get a cost of living and other raises every year. I don't. I'm not necessarily complaining either. I still have a comfortable life compared to others but have also made many sacrifices and continue to make them.

I can tell you that it's loud and clear people no longer value my time either, ie pathetic reimbursement, rampant malpractice awards, etc. I am becoming more cynical myself. With the changes that are coming, I will no longer "stay late" and I will be happy "making less" and working less too. Doctors will eventually work from "9 to 5" just like everyone else.............can't wait to see what you say then.

Rant off.
Old March 16th, 2012, 04:36 AM
roverguy
Robert
1995 RRC

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by nikojo View Post
I love hearing this stuff. I try not to take it personally. Here's my rant.......enjoy.

I would first caution anyone to be careful making statements like some of the ones here.........just make you sound like your ignorant. I get that there are stereotypes and generalizations but try to be a little more intelligent and not make ASSumptions. I can rant on a lot of topics like airlines, cops, priests, teachers, government/city workers.........but I try to give most people the benefit of the doubt and try not to assume the worst. Try not to be so cynical.......you may be a happier person for it.

When we schedule patients we are working from "averages". The problem is there are people who suck up ridiculous amounts of time for different reasons, different educational backgrounds (take longer to understand what's wrong with them and what can be done), different severity of problems, doctor shopping, etc.

BIGGEST reason is there are many, many patients who state they have an "emergency" and "have to be seen" right away. Unfortunately these people abuse the system. If we scheduled to allow for all these variances, you would have to wait 8 weeks or longer to be seen!!! Then what??

I have wait times of 2-3 hours sometimes, yet RARELY get a complaint. You know why? I NEVER let a patient leave until they've had their problem addressed and questions answered. They crave it and come back and recommend me to others. And I STILL have a wait time of 6-8 weeks to see me. I'm not proud of it, but it is the law of supply and demand.

Next time you're waiting for your doctor, think about the fact that he'll likely see you or your family the next time you have an urgency and not make you wait 6-8 weeks. Next time you get "added on" to the schedule think about the other people you are essentially going to "bump" in the schedule. I doubt you will.

I was in the office tonight until 7:30 because an 8 year old had her finger caught in a door and the family didn't want to go to the ER. I started at 6:30 this morning. You think I did that for the money??

If you think it's bad here, go to other countries and see how they do it?? Seeing doctors by zip code? Very limited days and hours?? No consideration for "referrals"?? Limited access to procedures with "mandates" on necessity, etc. This country is about to find out the hard way.........you get what you pay for.

If you think it's about the money, you don't know anything. The difference between the addition of 10 more patients in a day is negligible. Most of us do it because "it's what we do". My reimbursement has gone down EACH and EVERY year.........has yours??? I doubt it, most people get a cost of living and other raises every year. I don't. I'm not necessarily complaining either. I still have a comfortable life compared to others but have also made many sacrifices and continue to make them.

I can tell you that it's loud and clear people no longer value my time either, ie pathetic reimbursement, rampant malpractice awards, etc. I am becoming more cynical myself. With the changes that are coming, I will no longer "stay late" and I will be happy "making less" and working less too. Doctors will eventually work from "9 to 5" just like everyone else.............can't wait to see what you say then.

Rant off.
I agree, but most doctors are finishing their residencies, starting with huge amounts of debt, high insurance, and haven't made much over the past 12+ years if you include undergrad. Then they have to deal with insurance companies, etc. Not saying all, but a lot of doctors see as many patients as they can from 7-5 to pay the bills and have some left over. Then they have the on-call shifts. In my mind that's part of our current health care system. There are too many sick people and not enough doctors. I may be wrong, but in my mind all of this is part of the problem, and it's not getting any better.
2000 DII (SOLD)
Old March 16th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Jackie Treehorn
A
1985 (legitimately)

Registry
Well said Nikojo.
Old March 16th, 2012, 09:38 AM
rijosho
Joshua
1995 Black ST - Rhinolined edition
Research Assistant/Eagle Eyes

Registry
Just to keep bringing this further off topic - you'd think that with cell phones, apps, push notifications, electronic scheduling/calendars, that an office could/should easily be able to notify their patients an hour before their scheduled appts that there are delays back an hour or two. I'm sure there's already software that supports this.

One of my favorite Curb your Enthusiasm episodes was when Larry David was on his way to an appt with his physician, and when he got to the building he held the elevator for a lady he saw walking toward him, he also let her off of the elevator on the same floor as him, and I think even held the door for her into the doctor's office. Her appt was 30 minutes after his, but because she signed in first, she got in first (like 5 minutes later), and ended up holding up the doctor for an hour while Larry waited in the waiting room.
Old March 16th, 2012, 11:20 AM
rover4x4
Phillip
1995 SW #487/500

Registry
Man I am glad my GF's dad is an MD, I fix his Rover he fixes me.
Old March 16th, 2012, 12:57 PM
MUDSUX
Forrest
Like my Tatas?

Registry
Chris and John stated it nicely and there are, of course, more to it than can be said in a few paragraphs. But let me lighten the mood and offer some insights to help you with your next office visit. In no particular order

1. Don't ever tell a doc you have a high pain tolerance, it will not impress us and you will lose all credibility because it is obvious to us that you don't, sitting in our office asking for pain rx.
2. If you want pain meds don't pretend you don't know how to say Vicodin or Dilaudid. It's embarrasing. It's not that hard to pronounce and we would respect you more if you look us in the eye and just ask.
3. Don't tell us you need a Zpak to "knock it out" because all we want to do is knock you out.
4. Women, if you're going to use tampons please remember how many you put in there.
5. Don't tell the us your cold is "draining" into your chest. Unless you have loss your gag reflux, it does not drain into your chest. You either cough it up or swallow it. Think about it.
6. If you've had this problem for 3 years, we cannot fix in one office visit. It's not TV, we don't perform miracles.
7. If you suddenly have an abscess on your ass, it's probably from you picking at it. Please don't tell us a spider bit you because we seriously doubt a spider can bite you in the ass and you not know about it.
8. If the nurse knock on the door while I am examining you, it's because I told her to, so I don't have to listen to all your complaints. If this happens more than 2 times, you have become the bane of our existence, known as a "frequent flyer", do us both a favor and find another doc.
9. If you can have an erection while watching porn or wake up with one, don't ask us for Viagra because you can't get it up for your wife. It's not an organic problem, it's a mental block.
10. If you are complaining of a sinus infection, please know where your sinuses are.
11. Understand that the medical problem is yours, own it. We are here to help and guide you but you have to be accountable for your own health. We can lead the horse to water but we cannot make the horse drink it.

"It is the soldier, who salutes the flag, who serves beneath the flag, and whose coffin is draped by the flag that allows the protester to burn the flag"
Old March 16th, 2012, 01:08 PM
airbornrover
William Skidmore
SIII 109 SW

Ill ask what is a "Zpak"?
Old March 16th, 2012, 01:25 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

It's an antibiotic that works great in some instances like food poisoning (when I go to Mexico I always have one with me).

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat