Repairing Metal - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Join the Defender Source Community Today

Old February 8th, 2007, 09:50 AM
Stephan Laputka
1995 D-90 SW
Repairing Metal

I just obtained my a car trailer from 1995 with a tire rack, brakes, ramps etc. Like thet railer but hate the color and spots of surface rust. I was wanted to sand it down to the pair metal and paint it with black rustoleum. I know nothing about working on metal. I figure I can't really mess up too bad by using this as my learning project. Could someone tell me what type of a sander I would need? Is sanding not the correct method? I'm not gonna take the whole trailer to be bead blasted. Any thoughts? Thanks

Land Rovers are by far the best looking 4x4 on the back of a flatbed...
Old February 8th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Tony Brooks
I refinished a chassis last summer that had considerable surface rust. I used an angle grinder with a wire wheel, then went through the full por-15 process (marine clean, metal ready, the por-15 silver that smooths out dimples a bit more than the black, and then chassis black). Couldn't be happier with the outcome.

good luck,

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat