remote switch to control outlet (wireless) question - Defender Source
Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 19th, 2013, 05:05 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

remote switch to control outlet (wireless) question

I was hoping somebody might have some advice for me. Does anybody know of a system that will wirelessly trigger an outlet when power is turned on from a nearby one?

These -> http://www.amazon.com/Leviton-6697-W...ef=pd_sxp_f_pt are close, but I'd really like if I can find one that the sender is plugged in then sends the "on" signal when it has power.

here's the background:
A lot of the rooms in my house have switched outlets for lamps, etc which I HATE. My wife wants to put a few lamps in our bedroom to add to the single one that is currently controlled by a switched outlet. I'd really like all 3 lamps to turn on at once when I flip the wall switch. Lamp #1 (original) due to it being plugged into 1 of the 2 plugs, and lamps 2 and 3 because their sender is plugged into the other plug (on that same circuit). Lamps 2 and 3 would be getting power from across the room by way of their own (always on) plugs.

Make sense? I would settle for a switch that can be setup to more than 1 receiver...

I figured somebody on this board might have a good idea.
Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 19th, 2013, 05:44 PM
Shep29
KS
'95 RRC LWB

Registry
Look into Z-Wave wireless switches and outlets. I have a home automation Z-Wave network in my house. I use Micasaverde as the controller and run a bunch of wireless switches to do certain tasks.
'96 D1 SE7 Willow Green - SOLD
Old January 19th, 2013, 05:57 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Open up all the outlets. If the electrician was on his game he ran 14-3 (red white and black). If all boxes have 14-3 you can configure anyway you want by splitting the outlet in half. All you do is break the tab and you can hook up the red to the bottom half and black to the top.

So if you want every other outlet to be on the switch you would "break" the tabs on those. The ones that you don't want on the switch you don break then and you connect the two red wires in that box.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1768552813.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	534.8 KB
ID:	64761

Old January 19th, 2013, 07:53 PM
navydevildoc
Neill Thornton
1984 D90 300 Tdi / 1965 Series IIA
Site Team

Registry
I have Universal Powerline Bus stuff in my house... it can also do the same thing. Change out the switch in the wall to a UPB switch, and then plug in the other lamp into a lamp module. The switch can tell the plug in module to turn on and off if that's all you want it to do.

For something simple like that you won't need any controllers or fancy equipment. It would be about 100 bucks to get.
Old January 19th, 2013, 09:25 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

I like these suggestions. I'll open the outlet and see what I find then post back. Thanks.
Old January 19th, 2013, 09:54 PM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillstrubl View Post
I like these suggestions. I'll open the outlet and see what I find then post back. Thanks.
There is a high probability that the panel power goes to the switch box. You should find a wire nut with 2 blacks and one red in there. If you find that you should be good to go. Good luck.
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:29 AM
tjfslaughter
thomas
Burbon

Any updates?
Old January 21st, 2013, 05:10 PM
hillstrubl
Danny
2005 Disco 3

haven't cracked open the wall plate yet. I need to move a bunch of furniture to get to it... so I'm dragging my feet. I was thinking though, how does a product like my original question not exist? the "sender" resides in a switched plug, then you pair it to several "receivers" plugged into constant power plugs between the device and the power source. Honestly that would be plug and play.
Old January 21st, 2013, 08:47 PM
Tino.R
Tino Rebelo
67/series IIA

Read more about the levinton 6697 rec.trans.because I think you can program more than one outlet to the same switch.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
remote, switch