Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old March 5th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Bozman
Greg
1991 200tdi D90

Registry
Remote Battery Connections

Anyone ever consider remote battery connections, like on the outside of the seat box, to make it more convenient to jump etc.?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old March 5th, 2008, 09:00 AM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

I have. With the Corbeau seats, I cant get into the boxes anymore so I've used the Warn quick connect kit on the 94 and now on the 97. It works real well on the 97 as I have the connection point up by the winch now so I can unhook the connection to the winch and plug in the jumper cables.

I also wired in a battery disconnect switch at the battery box to cut off all battery power if I need to.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old March 5th, 2008, 10:30 AM
Wolf Fabrication
Sterling Archer
'08 D3
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
I just did one on mine when I wired up dual batteries. It was real simple. I'll try to post some pics soon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Semper Fi!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 28th, 2008, 01:26 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Hey Chris,

Any complaints about the Warn quick connects being loose? I have been planning to run two separate points from my battery box -- 1 for the winch, and 1 for an inverter (either connection would work with the Warn jumper cables when needed). During my research I saw that some people had difficulties crimping the wires consistently to the connectors. I ran across this review from NorthernTool.com :

""The plugs work ok once you connect your wires to them, but connecting the wires to the plugs is a stuggle. The recepticles can only be crimped onto the wires with a large vice or repeated hammer and chisel blows. Even after crimping, the wires will not stay in place unless they are then soldered in place. Once the wires are connected to the plugs and the plugs then connected to each other, the plugs tend to disconnect after significant movement unless they are bound together with a plastic tie, a string, tape or some other agent. There has to be a better design to accomplish this purpose! These are better than nothing and I can't seem to find a better quick-connect apparatus for 12v DC applications.""

Are you happy with the strength of the connections? Did you crimp, solder, or both?

Thanks.
Old April 30th, 2008, 09:12 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

bump
Old April 30th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Overlander
mark kellgren
in between D's in an 04 D2

Registry
I actually made a 16' jumper cable with a warn quick disconnect. I mounted the other quick disconnect with a bolt through the bolt hole into the side of my ARB, and spliced it into the solenoid pack on my warn winch. Why go through the trouble of running new lines to the battery when the winch already has them? It works GREAT.
Old May 1st, 2008, 01:57 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Thanks Mark, I was thinking to keep the quick connect in the battery box for security reasons, but you have a good point.
Old May 1st, 2008, 02:17 PM
chrisvonc
Chris von C
No Defender at this time

Sorry Paul.. missed the post..

I havent had any issues with the wiring being loose so far. Yes the crimping was a bit tough but I really crimped them in so they seem to be doing good.

Please email one of the current MODs if you need assistance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lriwater: As you know, most wives don't like Series trucks due to the ride and lack of creature comforts. Girlfriends seem to like those, but some sort of magic happens during the wedding ceremony.
[/size]
Old May 14th, 2008, 06:22 PM
pcscharfe
pcdefender
D90/NAS 110

Thanks Chris.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Tags
battery, remote