Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old April 30th, 2011, 11:53 AM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Relocation To Arizona

I may be relocating to the phoenix area. Anyone here live in the area? Can you recommend a place to buy/live outside of the city.

Thanks
Rich
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2011, 12:19 PM
Buckon37s
Buck
Re-Fendered 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbell View Post
I may be relocating to the phoenix area. Anyone here live in the area? Can you recommend a place to buy/live outside of the city.

Thanks
Rich
I LOVE Scotsdale. There is a place up there called Carefree I think. It is awesome but pricey.

BUCK Wild Racing
Driver: Me
Co-driver: Pat Quirk
Team 911

Rover Tracks
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
PSC
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DJ Safety
West Coast Rovers
Reel Driveline
Made it further than half of the other guys, but the Hammers won.
Old April 30th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Jon_Winningham
Sterling M Archer
1995 AA Yellow NAS D90 #2986

Registry
Moved to Scottsdale in June 2010. Love it.
We live in the north east corner of the city in the mountains in an area called McDowell Mountain Ranch.
Great family neighborhoods. All price ranges.
I recommend renting first before you buy so you can be extra sure where you want to plant yourself.
RoverTecs is about 3 miles away
Let me know if you have questions...
1995 NAS Defender 90 AA Yellow #2986: Current
2009 Range Rover Supercharged Black/Black: Current

1993 NAS Defender 110 #375/500: Sold
1995 NAS Defender 90 Soft Top Beluga Black #2556: Sold
1991 Range Rover Hunter Green: Sold
1997 NAS Defender 90 Station Wagon Portofino Red #128: Sold
1993 NAS Defender 110 Beluga Black #215/500: sold
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old April 30th, 2011, 01:29 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Thanks....What is the commute like from Scottsdale-Phoenix.

------ Follow up post added April 30th, 2011 05:36 PM ------

Someone mentioned Glendale or Tempe to me. Do you have any thoughts on these areas?

Thanks for the advice. I was thinking of renting for the first 6months or so to get familiar with the areas and then buy. I heard there are some decent deals in real estate in the area.

------ Follow up post added April 30th, 2011 06:28 PM ------

So I was just looking through Realtor.com for rentals and just came across this as well as 100's of others like it.

I'm sure I'm missing something, seems too cheap.

http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...3_M15302-56919

Thanks
Rich

------ Follow up post added April 30th, 2011 07:23 PM ------

Scottsdale looks really nice...If someone can recommend rental in the area I would appreciate it. It's just me so I don't need anything too large but would like a garage..

Any cool places to rent downtown Phoenix to consider as well. I want to have a good collection of different area so I can visit them all in a few days.

If everything works out I will be coming out to visit the area in a month or so.

Thanks again for any advice.
Old April 30th, 2011, 05:38 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Like any major city, the big questions are do you know where you will be working and do you have kids? Phx Greater Metro is about 65 wide x 45 miles deep so the commute is a consideration.

Scottsdale, Fountain Hills, Cave Creek, Ahwatukee are considered some of the nicer more affluent areas.

Kyreen School District is one many want to get their younger kids into (Kindergarten through Middle only). Kyreen covers West Chandler and Ahwatukee. High Schools will need more research and vary.

The house you posted is in Laveen which is a fairly newish suburban area but its bordered by a pretty extensive Industrial zone to the North and one of the 'not so good' areas (S. Ctrl Phx) to the East. Houses will be pretty cheap there as you've noticed but the schools are not so good.

Peoria, Paradise Valley, Tempe, Chandler, W Mesa and the other intermediate distance areas are going to be hit or miss depending on exactly where you are looking. All have both nice and not so nice areas but are mostly OK and reasonably priced at the moment.

The more far flung suburban areas (Buckeye, Surprise, Maricopa, Queen Creek, Gilbert, E. Mesa, etc.) are pretty cheap and decent places to live but the commute can really suck depending on where you work.
Old April 30th, 2011, 09:05 PM
Campbell
Rich Campbell
06 LR3 01DII D90s sold

Registry
Great thanks for the advice. If things work out I'm going to work mostly from home but need to be near downtown Phoenix. No kids so schools aren't important.
Old April 30th, 2011, 10:34 PM
ipgregory
Ian Gregory
'97 D90 ST #1008

Registry
Then Laveen is not a bad choice for you. Its not too bad a commute to Downtown from there and will have a ton of almost new houses for next to no money available right now with all the forclosures and stuff. Its a suburb so no nightlife to speak of and you'd have to travel for most shopping or to access the freeways to go anywhere would be the main downsides.

Tempe is another one near(ish) to downtown but has the university and plenty of shops plus easy access to the freeways. Houses will be more expensive and older typically though.

Suggest you try and rent something maybe in or around Tempe to begin with as its fairly central in the East Valley and has plenty of appartments and rental houses then look around from there.
Old May 1st, 2011, 12:01 PM
mattarm
Matt
1993 D110

Jon,
Pretty funny. When we were in AZ we lived in MMR. Small world.
Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Winningham View Post
Moved to Scottsdale in June 2010. Love it.
We live in the north east corner of the city in the mountains in an area called McDowell Mountain Ranch.
Great family neighborhoods. All price ranges.
I recommend renting first before you buy so you can be extra sure where you want to plant yourself.
RoverTecs is about 3 miles away
Let me know if you have questions...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat