Defender Source  

Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat

Old January 6th, 2006, 12:41 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Relocating to the Boston area

Hi All,

I'm most-likely relocating to the Boston area around the end of summer/beginning of fall. Looking for any tips regarding Defender care and maintenance, and any random Bostonian living tips would be welcomed too.

Some stupid Defender questions:

Since it snows regularly, they use salt on the roads there; doesn't this speed up corrosion/rusting?
What's the best way to counter act corrosion/rusting besides doing a galvanized chassis swap?
What are some worthwhile investments to make for hard/cold winters? I'm doubting a block heater is really need there? Heated seats?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2006, 12:45 PM
flippedrover
Tyler
'94 D-90

waxoil the underside and frame inside and out.
and you're the only bait in town.
You got fins to the left, fins to the right,
and you're the only girl in town.

Jimmy Buffett

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:02 PM
dmarchand
David Marchand
'97 D90 SW Arles

Registry
Looking forward to seeing you Will.

Waxoyl is a good start. Heated windscreen and seats are good. Stainless/galvy everything is good. An aux heater is smart. Or driving a beater car in the winter is even better (I baby my truck and leave it garaged all winter). A block heater is good for Jan-Feb. Depending on the winter, temps will be below zero for a few weeks in Feb.

Everything you hear about the salt is true. It's appalling how much they throw on the roads in the city.

If you're interested in good clubs, BSROA.org and VTXS.org are very active.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old January 6th, 2006, 01:15 PM
Hans
Hans Haase
The D-90.com Lab Rat

Think about a drop curtain, and maybe a radiator muff. Pull the covers off the heater vents in your dash for sure, biggest and cheapest improvement I've made.

The NorthEast isn't called the 'rust belt' for nothing, start using stainless on all the regular bolts..... but keep using grade-8 stuff on drivetrain and suspension due to strength. Buy a few tubes of 'anti-sieze' and use it often. Especially on your lug nuts, spark plugs and.... well... everything.

Waxoyl is a good idea for the underside, and also make sure to keep the truck clean and waxed to prevent the salt from damaging the paint. Surprisingly, salty slush on your feet is one of the biggest contributors to loosing floorboards and the whole footwell area due to rust. So keep an eye on that area, fix anything before it starts to rot while it's still easy.

-Hans

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My 100k stopped odometer fix

Brace for impact, I'm in a "modifying mood". Massive thread count inbound.
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:33 PM
1of40
1of40
NAS 97SW & 83 One Ten Tdi

Registry
Hans- thanks for the heater vent idea. I'm doing that as soon as I get home.
Old January 6th, 2006, 01:52 PM
Rover- Girl

Well, not that I live anywhere near snow and so on, but here in Florida
we do battle with salt...High salt contents in the air ( high humidity ) rain ect,,,
All Boaters & Marinas down here use LPS Sillicone spray on there Boatmotors, it protects , seals and repells it all...moisture, salts, ect...
I use it on my D90...works great
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:43 PM
sheki
David Shechter
97' D90 SW 2.8L diesel

a good car wash that has an under carriage wash. Don't be afraid to go regularly
A wang is another word for, you guessed it, A DICK!

Nothing racist, just pure DICK!
Old January 6th, 2006, 02:49 PM
TDI Guy
Randy
2015 LR4
D-90 Source Vendor

Registry
speaking of salt, there are some spots here where the salt truck stops and salt just piles out. ITs like 2" thick on some parts of the road around here and they then come and pick it up with a loader. I have had my truck inside for weeks now. Just take it out on nice days in the winter.
Old January 6th, 2006, 10:34 PM
Chaucer
Will
93 110 | 97 90

Thanks for all the tips, guys (and gal)!
Old January 7th, 2006, 08:51 AM
scoloco
Scott
'94 D90 ST

Hey Will,
I did that trek 2yrs ago. Bring coffee!! After living over there for a while I got used to good coffee and good beer. I havent had a coolo super duper custom whipped up expensive cuppa joe in a loong time Good thing is they do have a redhook brewery not too far away

As for the land rover, shortly after arriving mine started to get rust spots spontaneously in places that had survived rust free w/out paint for 2yrs over there.
Tips from others are all good, although I second Marchands - get a beater 2nd car for winter. My truck is not a daily driver - esp in winter. One thing not mentioned if you do keep it as a winter driver - warm clothes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaucer
Hi All,
I'm most-likely relocating to the Boston area around the end of summer/beginning of fall. Looking for any tips regarding Defender care and maintenance, and any random Bostonian living tips would be welcomed too.
Thanks

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Defender Source > Non-Technical Discussions > Misc. Chit-Chat